NFR Has anyone heard from Old Man Jim? Update: RIP OMJ. Give ‘em hell wherever you are!

Non-fishing related

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I tend to think that Old Man Jim enjoyed his maps. Personally I have spent a great deal of time looking at, and following maps. Maps of all kinds, such as the Gazetteer, ranger maps, Thomas Guide, topo maps, historical maps etc... Of course todays technology is far superior in many ways, however the value of a paper map is exemplified by the vast knowledge that Old Man Jim acquired over the years. Undoubtedly he pondered over those maps at home, using a pencil to circle points of interest. And out in the field, those same maps were likely folded away but frequently spread out over a rock or the hood of his car. The simple joy of exploring "thin blue lines" with nothing but a map, a compass, and an odometer, is something worth experiencing. I am certain that he had lots of fun with those maps.
back in the day, those State Gazetteer's were as important as a good set of waders, with many a midweek evening spent dwelving into those blue lines over a glass of wine, planning the weekend run.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Old Man Jim was my online connection to the early days of WA flyfishing. I still have my Gazeteer, with all the access spots I'd found by driving down dirt roads, hiking in, etc. No mobile phone, Google maps, online stocking reports or hatchery returns. Get in your damn car and go discovering! His stories and posts were what I enjoyed most when I joined the old site many years ago. Only had a few joking conversations with him online and never met Jim in person, but I celebrated his life and legacy with a toast of good Scotch when I heard the news. Bon Voyage OMJ!

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Well hell ! ! I haven't been on the site much lately and just now noticed this thread. As I've known OMJ for as long as I can remember membership on flyfishing websites, the news of his passing is damned sad. As many, many have mentioned above, he will be missed.

Last edited:

Matt Burke

Steelhead
I've been up on the Skagit fishing for steelhead since it opened and on the way home today, I stopped by the 127th hole on the stilly. Last time I was there with Jim, there was two crows screaming and he wanted them all shut up so he screamed back. When I went there today I talked to him and there were no crows and it was silent. So I screamed at Jim and I thanked him from the bottom of my heart. It was a good day. I saw a fish, didn't catch but that really wasn't the point.

thank you everyone. Thank you jim for all the awesome fishing. We'll all fish together again. I'll be back n forth until it closes screaming at crows for Jim. The first time I tried was when I got pics of 3 dudes catching a fatty just above the bridge big bridge on the sauk. I screamed at a raven just like only Jim Swan could. It was huge when it turned back and landed on a cedar bow. It looked right at me so I screamed thank you! It bowed it's head slightly at take off. I knew Jim would get the message.

Attachments

• 20230416_102753.jpg
    20230416_102753.jpg
    558.3 KB · Views: 167
Last edited:

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Nice Matt.
Like most here I never met Jim in person, but always enjoyed his conversation at the WFF (and this) campfire. I learned that we both spent our youth in Suquamish, he about 20 years earlier. We PM’d a bit on occasions but not recently. He was a keeper.
RIP Jim.

swimmy

An honest tune with a lingering lead
I got a text from a friend about this yesterday. Thank you Jojo for asking someone to reach out.

From early on, I loved mixing it up with Old Man. Having him annoyed at you was pretty much a right of passage. And while he tried to act tough, deep down he loved discussing fashion and seasonal decor.
JSDFwlvf_o.gif

But he was one of a kind and I hope his family is enjoying reading this thread.

IMG_6234.jpeg

Zak

Legend
I got a text from a friend about this yesterday. Thank you Jojo for asking someone to reach out.

From early on, I loved mixing it up with Old Man. Having him annoyed at you was pretty much a right of passage. And while he tried to act tough, deep down he loved discussing fashion and seasonal decor.
JSDFwlvf_o.gif

IMG_6234.jpeg
Swimmy returns! Too bad they wouldn't let the lunatics run the asylum over at the other site. 😉

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I just this evening learned of Jim's passing. I never fished with or met him on the river. I don't think he liked me much as he didn't like bullshit. The no bullshit craft and quality I never mastered as I'm steeped in bullshit and traffic in it often. I liked Jim though. I even liked it when he told me I was an idiot or some other equivalent. Learning over the years about Jim's life it seemed a full one to me and well lived. I am bummed he didn't get to reconnect with his daughter for both their sakes. In the end tomorrow isn't a guarantee and today is really a gift. Tight lines Jim.

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I once got irritated with Jim long long ago. I don't remember what I wrote but I remember what he did. After working hard at a really good paragraph he responded with only two words in caps..............."FUCK YOU". :)
I tip my hat to you sir. Nobody is perfect, and I hope that there is something out there. Something more. If there is a place I hope that you are finding peace, and reflection of a life long lived there. Peace be with you Jim, and I hope you are well.

Xoxo

JSDFwlvf_o.gif

IMG_6234.jpeg
Good to see you made it here Swimmy. This is a very nice tribute. Except “Useless” is spelled wrong! Lol.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Classic OMJ pic. “You’re number one.”
From the wayback machine I remember a pic of Brokeback Jim laying out on a rocky river bar. Matt Burke was probably involved.