NFR Has anyone heard from Old Man Jim? Update: RIP OMJ. Give ‘em hell wherever you are!

Non-fishing related

Wadin' Boot

Badly tied flies, mediocre content
Forum Supporter
Things I learned about/from OMJ

- He once caught a white salmon off Camano head back in the day, it was huge. He ate it but was underwhelmed.
- He was in the service, and spent time as a cook in the 50's. Some of his service was in Greenland. that was perhaps the most exotic place he ever went
- He fished all over the place, generally within 100 miles of Everett for much of his life, but as a kid more often around Bremerton
- His early fishing seemed to have way more salt/bait/gear excursions
- He was a literary critic. He wrote "too many words" about one of my stories on WFF- that still makes me laugh
- He had an ATV in Montana for a while and liked taking it into the hills and checking out the the blue lines there
- He worked at Boeing for a long time, this seemed like a ticket-punch job, not a passion
- Of his favorite thin blue lines he always seemed to come back to the Beckler, Foss and Miller rivers, acknowledging there were occasional bigger fish "in there"
- Towards the end he had a tremor, back pain, mobility issues and was tired a lot. The tremor made tying on tricky.
- He was like 70/30 sorta helpful/not helpful, with the 30% not helpful being, at least for me, psychologically way more interesting.(others may have different breakdown on that ratio)
- When not helpful he was perhaps- and I mean this in the nicest way- unintentionally amusing because of the curmudgeonly responses, particularly to peach-fuzzed noobs
- Any time folks made fun of him for being around since say the Land Bridge to Asia, or Kennewick Man etc he was always a good sport about it
- I do think, like a lot of us, he found connection among strangers on Forums like this and WFF. And as all of us get older, one of the things, above any other health predictor for longevity, social connection remains absolutely imperative. Stay involved in a community- doesn't really matter which one- if you want to age well. Call it what you will but his engagement here and on WFF was a way to stave off loneliness and isolation. Even surrounded by family, and he said this more than a few times, none of them fished, none seemed interested in finding fish..

The same can't be said for all of us.... BUT.... I would bet there are hundreds of us in a similar circumstance, plenty of people around us we work with, love, spend most of our time with etc, but have no interest whatsoever in those time-stands-still moments of exploration that occur with every fishing excursion. At least here he never had to explain it. Not that he woulda ever tried, "too many words....."

Last edited:

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Things I learned about/from OMJ

- He once caught a white salmon off Camano head back in the day, it was huge. He ate it but was underwhelmed.
- He was in the service, and spent time as a cook in the 50's. Some of his service was in Greenland. that was perhaps the most exotic place he ever went
- He fished all over the place, generally within 100 miles of Everett for much of his life, but as a kid more often around Bremerton
- His early fishing seemed to have way more salt/bait/gear excursions
- He was a literary critic. He wrote "too many words" about one of my stories on WFF- that still makes me laugh
- He had an ATV in Montana for a while and liked taking it into the hills and checking out the the blue lines there
- He worked at Boeing for a long time, this seemed like a ticket-punch job, not a passion
- Of his favorite thin blue lines he always seemed to come back to the Beckler, Foss and Miller rivers, acknowledging there were occasional bigger fish "in there"
- Towards the end he had a tremor, back pain, mobility issues and was tired a lot. The tremor made tying on tricky.
- He was like 70/30 sorta helpful/not helpful, with the 30% not helpful being, at least for me, psychologically way more interesting.(others may have different breakdown on that ratio)
- When not helpful he was perhaps- and I mean this in the nicest way- unintentionally amusing because of the curmudgeonly responses, particularly to peach-fuzzed noobs
- Any time folks made fun of him for being around since say the Land Bridge to Asia, or Kennewick Man etc he was always a good sport about it
- I do think, like a lot of us, he found connection among strangers on Forums like this and WFF. And as all of us get older, one of the things, above any other health predictor for longevity, social connection remains absolutely imperative. Stay involved in a community- doesn't really matter which one- if you want to age well. Call it what you will but his engagement here and on WFF was a way to stave off loneliness and isolation. Even surrounded by family, and he said this more than a few times, none of them fished, none seemed interested in finding fish..

The same can't be said for all of us....I would bet there are hundreds of us in a similar circumstance, plenty of people around us we work with, love, spend most of our time with etc, but have no interest whatsoever in those time-stands-still moments of exploration that occur with every fishing excursion. At least here he never had to explain it. Not that he woulda ever tried, "too many words....."
Goddamn boot. I gotta work today man stop making it dusty

Mingo

Life of the Party
Damn. This sucks. I gave the Old Man a kitchen-sink lure years ago at a Cedar River cleanup event and he proudly kept it....it may still be in his house. He talked about it often over the years. I hope it gave him some good memories. That was a good day on the Cedar even though a homeless guy threatened me when I stumbled upon his riverside lair.

Old Man and I agreed on many things and we locked horns on more than one occasion. I'd ask him what it was like to serve under George Washington in the Revolutionary War, or for details on what Ben Franklin was really like in person. He'd laugh and then get mad at me. Then he'd get mad at me for not teasing him. He didn't like to be ignored. He could take lots of shit and give it back with the best of them.

He never understood why I liked to catch a wide variety of species. He'd tell me that was a stupid waste of time, and that I should just be satisfied with chasing trout in rivers. Jim never minced his words. You never wondered what he was thinking or how he felt.

Old Man was famous for his "Usless" fishing reports. In all the years he posted those reports, he never once spelled useless correctly. I tried to correct him several times and he'd tell me to fuck off. I don't know if he misspelled it on purpose....I do think he thought it was funny to deliberately butcher it. That is his secret, and he's probably laughing right now.

The Ancient One will be missed. He was like a character out of a western movie, unsure about modern contraptions like computers and GPS and more than willing to share how the "old ways" were better. I have to say....at times I agree with him.

RIP Old Man. I hope you're knee deep in a stream right now on the other side, fighting a big trout and tossing threatening glances at anyone who might dare to encroach on your spot. I hope you are once again occupying a healthy, pain-free body and you can tie on those flies without shaky hands.

You will be missed.

M

MELinOre

Steelhead
Old Man Jim scared the holy living shit out of me when I first joined.

I came to realize that we had more in common and if he criticized me, I probably deserved it.

I know that Jim will be referred to as "Young Man Jim" where he is now.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
RIP OMJ. Makes me sad he’s gone. He was one of last active members of WFF, still posting here, from when I first started fly fishing. It sure was lively with a cast of very colorful characters back then, with only a few survivors still around here. Jim was definitely one of the standouts and a big-hearted curmudgeon from day one.

I only met him in person once, during a Dry Falls get together. Non-stop chaos and fun was that event (raccoons!)He was also very generous in sharing with me a couple of points along the NF Stilly worth checking out.

We miss you, Jim!

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
I met “Swanie“ in Final Assembly on the 747 line decades ago. When I saw his photo on the old board when I joined I was stunned. I never knew the old goat was into fly fishing. He has always been what Eastcoasters call a “Pissah”. His posts will always be epic and I’ll fondly remember his hints of where to fish.

RCF

Life of the Party
Thin Blue Lines or as OMJ referred to them Skinny Water. Small steams where one could cast from one side to the other side with ease. His advice was always to get a map, find some Skinny Water on there and go find out if there are fish there. This is what he knew, practiced in real life, actually lived for... After all there was no internet, no satellite, no forums and no trip reports when he was fishing in his younger years. Tight lips was what everyone did.

OMJ followed a road less traveled. Then off of those roads to trails less traveled. If lucky he found an animal path to use. All in hoping they would lead to Skinny Water. First of all there weren't as many roads or trails back then. Bushwhacking was the norm. I have thought about him bushwhacking to a Skinny Water many times. The joy on his face when he finally found a nice pool and casting a fly into it to a fish that has never seen a fly much less as person must of been overwhelming and very satisfying. No wonder he remembered so much from those days and why he encouraged everyone else to do the same.

He always looked forward to fishing ---> always. He did not dwell on 'in the good ole days'. It was always about his next venture/outing. Even in his later years he would let us know about getting in his truck and traveling for hours on bumpy, dusty, rocky and rutted roads scouting out waters. It was in his DNA and he embraced it. He found his spots to fish, catch a few along the way, and even if he did not, the pursuit was what was so important. It breathed life back into him.

He definitely lead a great life. Hopefully something we all can learn from...

Last edited:

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Old Man and I had a warm on-line relationship over the years. He was especially fond of my NFL analysis.
RIP Old Man.jpg

On the rare occasions where he became agitated on the forum, he could be soothed by the acoustic guitar and voice of Neil Young.

Love lost, such a cost
Give me things that don't get lost
Like a coin that won't get tossed
Rolling home to you

RIP Old Man.

Itchy Dog

Steelhead
OMJ was a gift to the old forum. I had some PM’s from him way back and he was very generous with his old-school version of GPS coordinates when it came to finding some skinny water up the Beckler.

While I never met him in person, we were friends on the Facebooks and I believe that’s where I enjoyed getting to “know him” the most. I always got a chuckle out of his occasional rants directed at nobody in particular—moreover he was just raging against the machine, as if he expected FB to listen 😂

RIP Jim, they broke the mold with you.

Attachments

• 4A7E24F4-9E92-4947-9B04-116C9540E9CB.jpeg
    4A7E24F4-9E92-4947-9B04-116C9540E9CB.jpeg
    88.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 8BBF8564-B664-444A-8E02-5556E9A85C1C.jpeg
    8BBF8564-B664-444A-8E02-5556E9A85C1C.jpeg
    78.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 645E3B09-8C8A-4667-A557-72131D8E28EB.jpeg
    645E3B09-8C8A-4667-A557-72131D8E28EB.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 6FB328E6-3E75-4702-94B1-440EDF3363DD.jpeg
    6FB328E6-3E75-4702-94B1-440EDF3363DD.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 03234CEA-4F20-4F46-8223-21D4B111BF0F.jpeg
    03234CEA-4F20-4F46-8223-21D4B111BF0F.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 76

Grayone

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My wife and I were heading to Montana and contacted Jim about fishing with him. We stopped by his old Railroad address, chatted. Then Jim said follow my pickup. We ended up on the Beaverhead. Lined up and down to the river we went. Jim lost a fly about half an hour in, sat down on the rocky bank , grumbled about tremors and tying on flies. "I will get it eventually. Don't try to help" . The bank was about 45 degrees. Next thing I know Jim is face down towards the water rolling around and trying to get up right. "Don't try to help me, you are to small" he eventually righted the ship. We did have a fine 4 hours of fishing and some good conversations. R.I.P Jim. You were a character.

charles sullivan

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sad news for sure. He was a straightforward communicator. I appreciate that.

He will be known for a few things including:

skinny blue lines
search functions
flipping people off
naps on the rocks

I think that his finest work was "drizzling shits."

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I'd like to add to this thread. Old Man Jim and I had several PM discussions. Mostly regarding some fairly obscure "little blue lines" from the I-5 to deep into the cascade mountains. It was truly astonishing how he could instantly remember a particular stream and casually tell me about it , as if he had just recently been fishing there. Often times when an old person dies, an entire library of knowledge dies with them....sigh.. I have seen in the past where surviving family members were flabbergasted from learning how much of an impact and respect the deceased had on complete strangers that they knew nothing about. I am in the hope that this thread is read by his loved ones.

Sorry to be late to the party on this one. Had a lot of respect for the old codger. Our lives seemed to parallel in many ways, despite his head start in years. He was quite the humorous and idiosyncratic fellow.

Not like you swine.

Oops, channeled my inner OMJ there a bit, sorry.😉😁😂

Smalma

Life of the Party
While I never met OMJ I always looked forward to his posting, usually appreciated them whether we agreed or disagreed. As I have moved past my 76th birthday I appreciate more and more the standard he established for us developing "old codgers". He sat a standard that I aspire to but know full well that I can never achieve.

RIP Jim