SFR Handy gadgets, tools, or other things you never want to be without

Sorta fishing-related

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
+1 to @Salmo_g I have the mini Swiss Army on my keychain and use it far too often (scissors are heaven). And my Hobart gauge thickness tester, use it a fair bit too.

View attachment 45619

But I got a few of these for stocking stuffers and random gifts this year, I think one will find its way into my everyday Levis carry.

View attachment 45623
Those EABs are nice,,small and handy.Check out the PryBrid series. Has a few more functions including that nice sharp blade. My daily is the 7 function Armbar. While i work in a semi non permissive environment, these are allowed because they are handy and not stabby.

Last edited:

up2nogood

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a nice knife or two, but just never got in the habit of always having it with me. I have a great folding knife that lives in my waders, but day-to-day, just never seem to need one. But maybe if I had one with me, I'd find uses for it :unsure:

I have carried a pocket knife my entire adult life. I switched years ago to one of those small single blade Swiss knifes with the toothpick, tweezers etc. Here about three or four years ago on a vacation , I ran across the same similar Swiss knife ,but with a fingernail clipper in it , about the same size ,just thicker ,now I don't need to carry the fingernail clippers . :) I feel pretty lost if I forget that knife .

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I've had a few Swiss Army knives in my life, and always end up losing them after not using them. I feel like they do a lot of things, but nothing particularly well. Most the things it does, I have a better version of not far away.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
No one has mentioned Leatherman tools (Lee Leatherman is a good friend and surfing buddy), which have to be the best all-in one. Like knives, there is aways one in the truck, one in the boat.
When I was a stationary engineer, before climbing the ladder in facility management, there was always one in my pocket.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
No one has mentioned Leatherman tools (Lee Leatherman is a good friend and surfing buddy), which have to be the best all-in one. Like knives, there is aways one in the truck, one in the boat.
When I was a stationary engineer, before climbing the ladder in facility management, there was always one in my pocket.

I'm a big fan of the Wave. I've owned many over the years. My only issue with Leatherman is they don't hold up well in a saltwater environment and I've yet to figure out a way to prevent them from corroding and becoming super tough to use. As such I tend to just go through one a year. Expensive, but so friggen handy to have on a boat.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Skookum
Local place well attended by many of my friends
We had a very similar place called Bent Shovel like 20min south of me here in oregon. Unfortunately, some of his neighbors got pissy about it and he can no longer have customers at the brewery they bought out an old crappy cafe/bar & grill near McIver Park near Estacada. Beer is still great, but I miss the hangouts at their little farm property.

pics taken from the googler
(in the beforetimes)
1671562142350.png

(now)
1671562116252.png

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
We had a very similar place called Bent Shovel like 20min south of me here in oregon. Unfortunately, some of his neighbors got pissy about it and he can no longer have customers at the brewery they bought out an old crappy cafe/bar & grill near McIver Park near Estacada. Beer is still great, but I miss the hangouts at their little farm property.

(in the beforetimes)
View attachment 45744

(now)
View attachment 45743
oh shit, i didnt realize they bought out the old Viewpoint spot.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
oh shit, i didnt realize they bought out the old Viewpoint spot.
Yeah, for a while they were set up to serve in the wooded area right across the parking lot, then they bought the whole place. I think each progression of where they were serving was worse than the previous :(

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yeah, for a while they were set up to serve in the wooded area right across the parking lot, then they bought the whole place. I think each progression of where they were service was worse than the previous :(

Yeah that that space isnt great.
Making it nice is just putting lipstick on a pig

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

(in the beforetimes)
View attachment 45744

(now)
View attachment 45743
That’s exactly how it went down with Skookum
He’s got a nicer gig going now so it worked out. I wish I liked their beer a little more but the make a good Grolsch

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
That’s exactly how it went down with Skookum
He’s got a nicer gig going now so it worked out. I wish I liked their beer a little more but the make a good Grolsch
Kolsch? Grolsch is the iconic skunky beer with the flip top bottles.

Otter

Steelhead
I carried a Leatherman Micra (with awesome scissors) on my key ring for years, then switched to a similar-sized Squirt P4, because it has pliers. I do miss having scissors, so I carry the Micra or a Swiss Army knife loose in my pocket. I also carry a strong lockback clipped to my right front pocket.

1EBB59C4-C9F9-46B8-A2C2-200EB3933D7B.jpegAB1EAA7C-E84D-4708-A315-04EF402AB658.jpeg3069239D-2C85-403A-94B2-AB4252694492.jpegAB3BAB8D-F10E-45D4-85B7-CEF0C2FF3A72.jpeg