SFR Handy gadgets, tools, or other things you never want to be without

Sorta fishing-related

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
You have anything you've always had with you that you can't live without? Or something you recently discovered that has saved you and/or been far more useful than you ever imagined?

Can be fishing related, fishing-adjactent, outdoor, or just life in general.

For me it's having a portable jump starter. The one in the photo isn't my exact one (mine doesn't seem to be available anymore), but it's quite close and does the same thing).

This thing has jumped my truck(s) more times than I can count. Jumped boats at the dock (never mine, but I've saved a few days for others), and when it's not jumping cars, it's kept my phone charged on multi-day trips with its USB ports.

For under $100, I can't imagine a more useful thing to have.

1671426420677.png

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
NOCO smart battery tender/maintainers.

They’re inexpensive, and available in different sizes. I’ve found that my camper batteries, boat batteries, trolling motor battery etc. really like being hooked up to one of these when in storage. Makes for easy maintenance, and all my batteries last a whole lot longer so they save money.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
You have anything you've always had with you that you can't live without? Or something you recently discovered that has saved you and/or been far more useful than you ever imagined?

For me it's having a portable jump starter. The one in the photo isn't my exact one (mine doesn't seem to be available anymore), but it's quite close and does the same thing).

This thing has jumped my truck(s) more times than I can count. Jumped boats at the dock (never mine, but I've saved a few days for others), and when it's not jumping cars, it's kept my phone charged on multi-day trips with its USB ports.

View attachment 45530
Awesome - one of those was top of my Xmas list this year!

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have one of the jump starter/ portable compressor deals in my truck… only needed it once for myself and that really saved my day. I have used it at the house a few times out of convenience (starting lawn tractor for first time in the spring) and my moms car had some electrical issues where it was draining the battery so it helped her a bunch. Long and short I’m a big fan of em.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

View attachment 45530
I used to carry jumper cables in all my jeeps before I got one of these…they take up way less room, and don’t require you to push a dead vehicle into a more convenient location so the cables can reach…

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
I would say my Garmin Inreach mini. I havnt had to use it in any saving the day situation, but it has come in handy for keeping in contact with the boss and letting her know I’m safe or going to be late.

flybill

Life of the Party
I don't have one yet, but want this. A few friends have them for camping, but would be good if you get stuck on the pass coming home, break down or whatever! Solar panels would be good too.. would also be at home for power outages..

Amazon product ASIN B08ZS5PKXY

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I suck at just about everything. Everything I try to do I can barely do well enough to be acceptable. The only tool that ever did me any good was a fishing rod.

Driftless Dan

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
A couple of tools, at least peripherally fishing related that I wouldn't be without:

I keep a half-section of a WD-40 straw in my vest; it is hands-down the best nail knot tool in the world.

My smart phone; I watch countless fly tying videos and it really has made me a better tier. It's amazing how two fly tiers can tie the same fly can be tied two (or more) completely different ways. I pick up tricks from all of them.

Lastly, my Swiss Army Knife has a treasured place in my pocket, and gets used every single day, many times, not only for fly fishing but everything else, too. I used the little augur with a hole near the end to sew up my turkey this past Thanksgiving.

ABITNF

Steelhead
I never go into the bush without my favourite folding pocket knife.
One side folds out into a blade, saw, screwdriver, bottle opener, awl, compass, scissors, toothpick, and a magnifying glass. And the other side folds out into a 3 room cabin and 4 cords of dry firewood.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I have a nice knife or two, but just never got in the habit of always having it with me. I have a great folding knife that lives in my waders, but day-to-day, just never seem to need one. But maybe if I had one with me, I'd find uses for it :unsure:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
B3BEC0D9-53B9-4E7F-85FE-FD19DF4DE6A9.jpeg

Pocket knife all day. I get annoyed if I don't have one with me. I end up using it all the time.

I am far more into the "value" knives than the high end ones, though. Currently carrying a $50 Civivi Elementum. But I'm also a big fan of the USA made (but sadly discontinued) Kershaw Skyline. And I carry a $25 Benchmade 535 "Bugout" knockoff as something lightweight if I'm wearing shorts.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Energizer headlamps. As solid as any other brand out there including the pricey ones, and cheap enough I bought several and have them stashed in the truck, my desk, by the front door, my dry box.
While I do love my "good" headlamp, I'm just like you in that I have stashed energizer headlamps around the house and in all the trucks/cars. I think I probably own a dozen of them all together.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Portable USB charger/power bank. One in my wifes car, one in my truck, one at the office and one in my gear bag. Love having these around as backup options to charge phone or any other USB charged electronic. You can get a bit crazy with these (some are over $200), but the cheap ones still charge, just not as quick and as many times and they weigh more. But they work.

03124bac-5c46-4849-a605-2adf41fe1ee8.jpeg
Tripod Chair. I usually have one of these in the back of my truck and always take one with hiking and rafting. It's light and nice to always have a place to be able to sit down and relax.
5d13a75a-cbd9-411b-bbae-0e7e721849bb.png

This last one is a bit weird, but....I really love this bucket. Fuck, I don't know why, it's just super handy. First, I really like square buckets, I'm sure a circular bucket is technically stronger, but this one feels stout. Second, the square shape works really well in my raft as a garbage bin (this one perfectly fits between two of the aluminum frame bars). Third, this one has a lid that works pretty damn well. Makes it easy to keep my own trash tucked away under the lid, and has enough room if I come across someone else's garbage on the river I usually have room to grab it and throw it in this bucket. I had been on the hunt for a good square bucket with a lid for quite a while and then saw this one at Lowes for around $12. I even did a little double take when I saw it, was like we were meant to be together.

It's sturdy and it works. I dig it. Make fun of me all you want for being a bucket geek :geek:

1671476862901.png