Grizzly Attack (another one)

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Seems there’s been an increase in these occurrences lately, so posting this just so others can be aware.

Having just returned from a couple weeks in Wyoming and Montana I can attest that there are a lot more folks running around out in the woods, which is one of the reasons given in the article for these occurrences.

A good number of these events have happened to unfortunate, experienced and “bear aware” folks.

Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Bison still winning, Bears coming on, humans in last place...

Bison are having a slow year, and the Bears traditionally do well late in the season, so it's still anyones game !!!

Go Bison !!!

BDD

Steelhead
Part of the reason why I look forward to fishing trips to BC and Alaska is the wildlife, especially grizzly bears. It adds so much to the experience. Last week I had two encounters with a young bear, probably the same one. On the first day, Ken (one of the 8 members in our fishing group) had a problem with an oar not 30 seconds after we launched. He took a moment to doctor it up and thought it would hold for the rest of the day. I was not so sure. After bringing up the rear about an hour later I saw a bear chewing on an oar. I was sure it was Ken's oar. I pulled up about as close as I felt comfortable to the bear and waited for him/her to leave. It finally disappeared into the woods. I floated down (I was waiting in my boat a little ways upstream waiting to make my move) and grabbed the oar and strapped it down to my boat and headed off to find Ken. I could clearly see teeth marks and slobber all over the oar. After finding Ken, I realized it was not his so I took it back to the lodge.

Couple days later I saw a similar sized bear on the other side of the river, a little ways upstream. This was downstream of where the Russian dumps into the Kenai. You can see the many staircases that lead to the river. This bear wandered up and down the beach for about an hour. I watched him, enjoying the experience. I fished when the bear was far enough away and quit casting when it approached closer as I once again, got on my boat and was ready to make a quick get away if the bear changed it's disposition. Again, this was a big part of the experience.

My condolences to the friends and family of those attacked and killed by the bear in the above link.

Attachments

• Bear on Beach.jpg
    Bear on Beach.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Chewed up oar.jpg
    Chewed up oar.jpg
    583.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Hungry Bear.jpg
    Hungry Bear.jpg
    1,019.9 KB · Views: 35

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Bison still winning, Bears coming on, humans in last place...

Bison are having a slow year, and the Bears traditionally do well late in the season, so it's still anyones game !!!

Go Bison !!!

Looks like the Bison will have an opportunity to rake up some numbers in Washington.
What is the over / under on length of time before the first goring?
That is one lucky male bison. 😂
SF

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
So...what's the score now? Griz -5 People 1
2 bears were killed; I believe it was the one that killed the couple and their dog, apparently was tracked by Rangers who "euthanized" it after it showed aggressive behavior.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Now WDFW is considering reestablishing Grizzlies in Whatcom county. 😖
That would be the Federal Government wanting the reintroduction.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I don't think it's fair to count the ones that are are hunted down in retaliation.
They should just keep them in Yellowstone where they are friendly and folks can run up and pet them.
Either way, it ends badly for the bear :(.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I am all for the natural spread of large predators, I am very anti "planting" populations, same with other predators.
Once these population are planned for by wildlife professionals and those plans are agreed to by public comment and ratification those plans should be allowed to take affect without legal disruption.
Right now greater Yellowstone grizzly bear population is above the level established by by the planning legally done by biologists and the public but they cannot be de-listed
under ESA. because bad people who intentionally did not bargain in good faith are able to find sympathetic judges and stop the delisting.. yes. Bad people..

I know this particular incident was in Canada.
But these animal rights activists have blood on their hands concerning Yellowstone. I hope they feel some guilt. Each hunter ,angler or stupid turon is more valuable than all of the regions grizz.