Green Chorominoids.?

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I' ve heard mentioned, green chorominoids at my local lake. Is that a thing? How about a discussion on patterns and effectiveness. I've really not heard of these before...

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
2,500 species in North America according to Phil Rowley……I’ve seen them in a rainbow of colors…..even multi colored pupa!

Last edited:

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
But are they a go-to pattern like a chromie or zebra.? Are they productive.? Should I bother tying some up.?

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
But are they a go-to pattern like a chromie or zebra.? Are they productive.? Should I bother tying some up.?
Absolutely, tie some up! At times a small olive is up there on the list for me. All shades of green - including lime green. Gotta have 'em.
Plus the Bleeding Limey is just a cool name. :giggle:

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I’ve had good luck in the past with either just a chartreuse thread body or a chartreuse Krystal flash underbody cover with clear v-rib.
SF

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I don’t start with green….but if a throat pump reveals green chironomids, heck yes I’m using green! Fish can be zone/color/size picky at times. This is just one box of chironomids…..
View attachment 97296
Thanks for the peak inside your box Steve.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
One year I was anchored up on the edge of a BC lake's shoal fishing the usual stuff and catching a few fish. Two Canadians anchored up 50 yards away were putting on a clinic. I pulled my anchor to row over and talk for a minute. I asked what they were using and the response was "size 16 olive midge":

olive dairy2.JPG

Olive isn't green, really - but this particular "shade of green" was deadly on that lake.

Another year I was fishing a BC lake that's not too far from Kamloops; it's a very popular lake but even so I can't hotspot its name. Again, anchored up on a drop off and watching two locals rail on - fish after fish. I asked them what they were using and got a nice surprise "come on over, grab one of these green flies":

Holoshimmer static bag.JPG

Pretty green? It worked well

This fall I fished a Basin stillwater a holographic green midge (size 16) with a red butt under a Seegercator - it worked very well for me.

Tie some green bugs.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
@Wetswinger - before RCF and Bambooflyguy go off on a tanget, let me tangentially drift your thread a bit: "purple". Another day at the same lake where I was gifted the above green chironomid - three of us had our prams anchored up along a dropoff where the day before a standard chromie had been killer. On that second day, chromies were rejected, anything olive rejected, bloodworms rejected, black and reds rejected. Fly after fly: rejected. Pretty soon I hear Keith landing a fish, then another, then another. He was in zipper lip mode so I had to pull my anchors and row up to ask him what he was using. Keith showed me his big bomber chironomid: The Purple People Eater (maybe a size ten beadhead midge pattern in purple).

Now back to our regularly scheduled "green chironomid" thread.