Gravel parking lot disparity... More report to follow

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Since 5G is messing up service, limited reporting... Report to follow tonight I hope.

First lake lot up the road at 10:30
Photo_6554010_DJI_410_jpg_4227434_0_2022317101238_photo_original.jpg
Second lot up the road at 10:40
Photo_6554005_DJI_405_jpg_3914003_0_202231794242_photo_original.jpg
Have A great weekend!

IMG_20220316_141224956_HDR.jpg

(PS... Had to drive to highway to make call... Some texting is getting through... Uggh)

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
It's been a few years since I hit either one of those two. Is their really that big of a difference between the two as far as quality of fishing?

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
It's been a few years since I hit either one of those two. Is their really that big of a difference between the two as far as quality of fishing?
Same for me, I bet it’s been 5 years or more. There used to be some huge trout in there. I was trolling the weed beds one day and had a fish part some 10lb maxima! From what I understand those days are gone.

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
Shawn - just curious - anyone that has been following your adventures know you fish primarly at lake #2 - do you ever go up to lake #1? all the reports that you have posted in the past have all been lake #2 - at least the reports that I recall.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Shawn - just curious - anyone that has been following your adventures know you fish primarly at lake #2 - do you ever go up to lake #1? all the reports that you have posted in the past have all been lake #2 - at least the reports that I recall.
I seem to remember camping between the two lakes (probably close to the east end of the lake 1 (which I think should be lake 2 because it is further downstream, enginerds!)) and fishing Merry, or was it Bobby? I can't tell from Google Earth if those two lakes still exist or if they've been overtaken with sediment/phragmites/bullrushes/tules....

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I managed to spend about 8 days at #2. Caught some nice fish working streamers. I also got a nice work out fighting the wind! :) Ibuprofen, don't leave home without it! I remember being at the far end of the lake and seeing the dust storm on the horizon headed my way. I threw out the type 5 and a size 8 Pez fly and let the wind push me towards the launch. I had to stick the oars in the water to slow me down. Somehow a real thoroughbred race horse of a trout managed to catch that fly. I was lucky and released that trout at the other end of the lake without overshooting the launch.

I got to meet Shawn and and the rest of the guys camped around there. Shawn and I swapped stories and yes, we also had a cookie swap! :love:

I also managed to see that lake in a different light than most folks that week...dawn. I love watching lakes come alive in the morning and being a part of it.

IMG_20220309_061946359_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
Same for me, I bet it’s been 5 years or more. There used to be some huge trout in there. I was trolling the weed beds one day and had a fish part some 10lb maxima! From what I understand those days are gone.
I loved going to those lakes 30-35 years ago when the trout were large. They hit hard too. If you were stripping in a damsel nymph or other nymphs you’d get a bite followed by your reel screaming and a trout jumping a few times, unless it was a brown trout. I used to regularly use dry flies (Calabaetis mayfly, spent spinner, comparaduns and adult damsels. I preferred to catch the 16 - 17 inchers because they fought harder than the larger experienced fish.
Like many of you who fished those lakes back then, the experience is sorely missed.
I do realize that some of you (Billy, Troutpocket, Buzzy and Starman to name a few) have this experience with larger, good fighting trout at lesser known or secret central WA lakes.

dep

Steelhead
good to hear from you Shawn. I was literally just about to text you.
by now, Shawn and crew have it dialed in - 40 fish is an average day I bet.
They are "roughing" it I'm sure.
I recall the glory days of these lakes as well - it was fantastic and I truly miss those days now.
the fish in the lake do not seem to get real big anymore (over 20 inches) and I am inclined to try other places where the fish are just as big but different scenery

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Buzzy - It has been a few years but I did walk over to Merry on a very windy day. It was pretty much filled in with silt / sand. Unless something changed, I would not expect it to be fishable.

It was a great fishery for a while.
That's what I figured, thanks Scott. I used to wade fish Nunnally after work - the southwest shoreline was easy wading - before the damn phragmites took over.

My home waters. Born and raised in Royal City. Would zip down Beverly Crab Creek Road pretty much every night about 8 pm. String up the old RPL 696 with a weighted bunny leech and fish the cold inlet creek on the east side of the lake until midnight. Late 80s and early 90s. My best fishing memories ever.

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
My home waters. Born and raised in Royal City. Would zip down Beverly Crab Creek Road pretty much every night about 8 pm. String up the old RPL 696 with a weighted bunny leech and fish the cold inlet creek on the east side of the lake until midnight. Late 80s and early 90s. My best fishing memories ever.
Possibly crossed paths way back when....... I bet that was tremendous fun.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
We used to fish Merry in the fall where the creek flowed in. This is 35 yrs ago. #6 Picketpin on 6lb Max. Got taken for a ride a few times. Don't take anything for granted!

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

Buzzy

Forum Supporter
Sight fish to big cruisers… I do miss going there. I may have to try it again just for old times sake.View attachment 9133
Ah, sight casting! I suppose that's a big part of why I love carpin' - but that's thread drift so back to lakes 1 & 2. I was in my old donut Caddis tube kicking slowly along (lake 1 that should be lake 2 because it is downstream) when I saw a big German brown slowly swim by. I managed to strip in my line and cast ahead of the brown and he ate. So cool!! That was probably 30+ years ago and I can still picture it (not bad for an old fart).

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
Ah, sight casting! I suppose that's a big part of why I love carpin' - but that's thread drift so back to lakes 1 & 2. I was in my old donut Caddis tube kicking slowly along (lake 1 that should be lake 2 because it is downstream) when I saw a big German brown slowly swim by. I managed to strip in my line and cast ahead of the brown and he ate. So cool!! That was probably 30+ years ago and I can still picture it (not bad for an old fart).

i remember doing that at Lake #2 many years ago. Parachute PMD fly size 14. I used to have a pic of that fish, before a computer crash several years ago