Got any bird pics?

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

Jim F.

Good time to ask what is on everyone's top 3 list as we head into my favorite birding season: Leafless.

Local/world/ or have seen, but want to see again?
Snowy Owl. I did see a Flamingo that showed-up around here a number of years ago.

Bajema

Life of the Party
Good time to ask what is on everyone's top 3 list as we head into my favorite birding season: Leafless.

Local/world/ or have seen, but want to see again?
Great question. I’m not sure I have a specific top three, but I would like to try and find a short-eared owl this winter. I also still need to see a parasitic jaeger (image already got pomarine and long-tailed) but that will probably have to wait for another pelagic trip next year.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Sunday/today evening. Not native or wild, but this Ringed-neck pheasant is about as pretty as I can recall seeing. We do have some that reproduce every year here, but hard to know if this is one (coastal county). That is a tail !

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Had to drive down to Seattle today, but made a quick detour in Marysville to see this acorn woodpecker. A new on for me!View attachment 36873
That sure is a great bird! @Bajema , you mentioned Short-eared owls. EBirders and people I talk to on our loop road (grays harbor county) have seen a SEO about 1.5 miles from here in Winter for the past 4-5 years. I starting riding my bike that way last year, still nothing there for me. I did see a Rough-legged hawk that was in that area for many months and the plentiful Northern harriers, but never came across the SEO at that location.

I have had great views of SEO's were around Steptoe Butte in the mid-80's.. I saw those birds in one of the most stunning backdrops one could imagine. Great colors and lighting with vast expanses and no trees. About that same time I was fishing areas near Sprague lake and came across my only experiences with Burrowing owls. That was pretty exciting. Easy to ID sitting on fence posts. A ball of feathers and long legs. These were times well before the internet.

Last edited:

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Great question. I’m not sure I have a specific top three, but I would like to try and find a short-eared owl this winter. I also still need to see a parasitic jaeger (image already got pomarine and long-tailed) but that will probably have to wait for another pelagic trip next year.
I need to get out on one of those pelagic trips. I live so close to Westport. Albatross of any type would be a real thrill. I saw a Frigatebird in Hawaii once as my best saltwater bird. I have my flamingos like @Jim F. -mine were in Italy in the Venetian Lagoon. A good surprise that was.
Both condor species in the wild would be amazing. Add Harpy eagle..or Philippine eagle I might as well as top birds to see.
Is that three? :)

Last edited:

Jim F.

A Harpy would be amazing to see in the wild, but I don't see both of us being in the same area, unfortunately.

Jim F.

Does this count? 😂
It walked up me today while I was taking off my waders.
SF
And now we know why THAT chicken crossed the road anyway . . . sometimes observing wader removal can be immensely entertaining. I know I've had my moments . . .🤪

riseform

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
With those shoulder bars, I think you're still dealing with a red-tailed hawk. The various morphs make it difficult and I'm admittedly often confused.

Rough-legged hawks have carpal patches that are more lateral to the shoulder bars on red-tailed hawks, which is my key to comparing the two. I rarely get a good enough look to see the insulating feathers going all the way down to their smaller feet. The other trick is looking at the belly band. Rough-legged hawks have a very dark belly band where red-tailed hawks are more indistinct.

Here's a somewhat old picture I got of a rough-legged hawk demonstrating the carpal patches that is my key to recognizing them. They also tend to hover and flap like a kestrel which helps identify them by behavior.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
There is a free bird i d app from Cornell called Merlin. It's very simple to use.

Bonefish Jack

Steelhead
There is a free bird i d app from Cornell called Merlin. It's very simple to use.
This app is amazing to use. I have used it for a number of years. It has replaced all of my "bird books." So much information, on so many birds from around the world

One particularly useful feature - you can take a photo, upload the photo into the Merlin app, and it will suggest an identification for the bird. It is usually very accurate. I have used this in the Bahamas and in Mexico, with excellent success.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A few blob squatch-ish bird shots with my cell this weekend.

Car window (passenger) shot of the white pelican hang-out near the east end of the Youngs Bay Bridge in Astoria.

20221021_125213.jpg

An unidentified woodpecker. Didn't see any red so assuming it's not a Downy (?). The little bastard kept ducking his head into the tree every time snapped a pic.

20221021_150638.jpg20221021_150631.jpg20221021_150447.jpg