Got any bird pics?

BM from BC

Just Hatched
Old picture of a bald eagle missing a (dead) trout in a local (Vancouver island) lake. This eagle had to be the most clumsy ever. He missed this trout at dozen times or so, until another eagle showed up and scooped the fish on the first pass.
I took 6 or 7 pics of the first eagle passes, and quit taking pictures of it because I wanted pics of an eagle leaving with a fish and that was not happening with this one.
I thought I had nothing but crappy shots of an eagle splashing around until i got home, looked at the pics and found this one.

Attachments

• 022.JPG
    022.JPG
    851 KB · Views: 24

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Old picture of a bald eagle missing a (dead) trout in a local (Vancouver island) lake. This eagle had to be the most clumsy ever. He missed this trout at dozen times or so, until another eagle showed up and scooped the fish on the first pass.
I took 6 or 7 pics of the first eagle passes, and quit taking pictures of it because I wanted pics of an eagle leaving with a fish and that was not happening with this one.
I thought I had nothing but crappy shots of an eagle splashing around until i got home, looked at the pics and found this one.
Just don't drink and dive...;)
Steve

adamcu280

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Some recent birds from a recent trip.

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Had my first swans a few days back. Today, I had first views of the snowy Olympics and swans. First shot has Mt Washington, Ellinor and Pershing (right to left) in the background. Bottom two are a tad more west, the Mt Cruiser/Sawtooth area of the Olympics (Mildred lakes).
Walked back over at sunset and the same trio was off flying into the alpenglow. This is directly south of the Olympics and a different view than others are used to in the Seattle/Tacoma area.

Last edited:

tkww

Steelhead
While not uncommon in SE WA, it's uncommon for them to be in the "creek." I often see a pair pass through in the spring or fall but I've never seen more than two at once. I'm wondering if the incoming cold got these up and moving. I'll be curious to see how long they stick around, if at all.

011-Wood-Ducks-110922-3.jpg

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Ring-necked ducks, males. The neck ring can be very hard to spot. It is a reddish-tinted band around the base of the neck, slightly visible on the left bird. The drakes can be identified from as far away as you can see the birds by the white whale on the side. Note how the whale tail kicks up at the front of the bird. A similar duck, the Scaup has a similar large white side patch, but the whale tail is absent. The Ring-necked's bill coloring is also diagnostic.

The Tufted duck is extremely similar, but the bill tends to be a uniform grey-blue with a black nail.
2DCD65CF-E46A-45EE-9D47-376172FDB2EF.jpeg

Photo showing neck ring more clearly.
43F24859-C9E9-4074-9C05-6451F9DDD1A9.jpeg

Last edited:

Bajema

Life of the Party
Went after a Harris Sparrow (rare for around here) that had been seen for the past few days at a local park. Found it without too much trouble.
C414EC3D-EA29-4450-B7CC-536B71DA2C5D.jpeg

It was with a flock of White-crowned Sparrows.3648B5F8-2453-449C-8916-E574A521645F.jpeg

Also some good ducks out on the water (Bufflehead and Surf Scoter)
69376D2C-4E05-494B-976A-C352E6FA9C92.jpeg7ADB2C91-8AFD-4E77-A733-52B7CCA9D52E.jpeg

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Greater Egret. Hangs at the marina picking off baitfish that wander toward daylight. Terrific wader in the marsh…no ripples. If he/she were a river fisher it could handle 1000cfs with minimal drag.

2340F2D4-4464-42A2-A68F-A94A2217B1E0.jpeg

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Went after a Harris Sparrow (rare for around here) that had been seen for the past few days at a local park. Found it without too much trouble.
View attachment 41435

It was with a flock of White-crowned Sparrows.
The Harris's sparrow has an interesting distribution. They breed high in the Canadian Arctic and overwinter in the Southern Great Plains.
Steve

Gyrfalcon22

Life of the Party
Living room, backyard (but not La-z-boy chair !) sighting of a dark eagle soaring towards an old spruce tree caught my attention yesterday while I was waiting for my Boboli pizza to cook. I have not seen many eagles much at this point recently, and being dark I needed to see if is could be the Golden eagle that was here last Winter for months. It arrived last year on Nov 15th. This was the 19th. Hmmm. I secured the pizza in the refrigerator for later and grabbed my camera and went down our pasture and was using the cows to disguise my hurried approach. On the way down I saw a couple of crows dive-bombing the perched bird I could not see easily. Then a red-tail took some shots. That is not the attention an immature Bald eagle gets so I was very hopeful.

I knew I would have to wait it out until it went on wing to get a positive ID. It tired of the birds within 10 minutes and took flight from about 200 yards away and began soaring and I had my white patches and tail band to get the ID. Immature Golden eagle !! Appears he is back. I need a second sighting in the coming days to feel good it is not a bird on the way through. It landed in a Cottonwood in a far corner of the property and a fellow birder from the road joined me and we had a nice 30 minute or so viewing of the bird from 150 yards. Not getting any closer to bother him.

With luck will see more of him. If it is the same bird it is indeed good to know it made it through late Spring and Summer elsewhere.

Magnificent bird !

Last edited:

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Bajema

Life of the Party
Went out to the pond this morning. Here’s a few of the birds.

Eurasian Wigeon (there were two mixed in with the American Wigeons)BF193DD4-641B-47A9-882B-806D05E51E0F.jpeg

The lone Snow Goose is still hanging out86542065-7F8B-4F42-8E14-64F9D2DC699E.jpeg

Lots of American Coots (right) and also a Hooded Merganser (left)020932AD-23C9-4E46-9AB9-8165CA5AAFB0.jpeg

Also a Trumpeter Swan (back) was swimming alongside a Tundra Swan (front)E4B6EB2A-5AD6-4D44-A29F-8B971C677FDB.jpeg