Give me your "gotta have" travel trailer advice/gadgets/suggestions...

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
So, I ended up getting kinda screwed out of the bass boat I was going to buy. But then, a great deal on a travel trailer popped up for sale locally and I decided to give family non-tent camping a try. Not a giant trailer, 18 ft. Jayco Jay Flight SLX 184BH. Dinette turns into a bed for the wife and I, two bunks for the kids. But still plenty bigger than our old tent trailer.

So, those of you who have owned or used travel trailers, what advice do you have for me? Always have a dryZair inside? Never release the grey water before the black? No getting frisky before the stabilizers are down?

GIMMIE ALL THE LESSONS!

1646794998182.png

1646795063606.png

RCF

Life of the Party
After our camper adventure we bought a 21' Jayco 5th wheel. Loved it. My recommendation - a good BBQ and/or flat top.. Cook everything you can outside. Odors linger inside if not careful. Paper plates work well. Less washing, quicker cleanup, etc.

You have an awning - use it. Just not overnight or unattended. If there is anything more than a slight breeze and it sails on you, the damage can get real ugly quickly.

Storage is always an issue. Take only what you need, not what you want. If you go out a couple/few times and do not use something. it is not needed... LOL Keep a running written list of what you are missing. Over time it will be short...

Pay attention to tongue weight, gross weights, GCW, etc. Things can overload a trailer quickly...

RCF

Life of the Party
Oh, learn how to winterize the trailer. $800 hot water tanks are expensive to replace - yearly. Letting you know from a friend's experiences...

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
So, I ended up getting kinda screwed out of the bass boat I was going to buy. But then, a great deal on a travel trailer popped up for sale locally and I decided to give family non-tent camping a try. Not a giant trailer, 18 ft. Jayco Jay Flight SLX 184BH. Dinette turns into a bed for the wife and I, two bunks for the kids. But still plenty bigger than our old tent trailer.

So, those of you who have owned or used travel trailers, what advice do you have for me? Always have a dryZair inside? Never release the grey water before the black? No getting frisky before the stabilizers are down?

GIMMIE ALL THE LESSONS!

View attachment 8065
Nice trailer!

1. Solar panels and convert it to a 6v system if you plan to boondock. Our Lance is self-sustaining regarding electricity—very nice.

2. Water filter + pressure regulator on the intake hose.

3. Can’t remember what they’re called, but if you mount one of these shoe racks to the trailer, right by the step, it keeps it a lot cleaner inside. You can even mount them to the underside of the frame so they’re out of the way but still handy. Pro-tip: A chunk of old gutter will work, but it will piss your wife off and you’ll end up buying one from a store anyway.EC097AAA-584C-46CE-91D5-2BD06D181BD2.jpeg

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
You have an awning - use it. Just not overnight or unattended. If there is anything more than a slight breeze and it sails on you, the damage can get real ugly quickly.
ahhh, that's a very interesting point. While I wouldn't have put it up in the wind, I could totally have left it up overnight without thinking about it.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Solar panels and convert it to a 6v system if you plan to boondock. Our Lance is self-sustaining regarding electricity—very nice.
Interesting! I could see doing that if we get into boondocking.
2. Water filter + pressure regulator on the intake hose.
Seller pointed that out. But I'd forgotten to go pick one up. I'll put it on my list.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Get one of this electric bug zappers that look like a tennis racket. Even without kids running in and out, it’s amazing how many flies come inside my rig.

NukeLDO

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Lug nuts on your trailer are probably a different size than the tow vehicle. Make sure you have the right size lug wrench and a jack capable of lifting the trailer. Ask me how I know......

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Lug nuts on your trailer are probably a different size than the tow vehicle. Make sure you have the right size lug wrench and a jack capable of lifting the trailer. Ask me how I know......
Awesome! Would never have thought of this.

Freestone

Life of the Party
Forum Legend
Buy a yellow bandana (or 2) for your wife. If you want a fancy high tech version, look up a Kula Cloth. Your black tank will thank you!

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Josh, with only 2 tires you need to have the best tires that money can buy. RV tires have been notoriously poor in the past and are just now getting better. Pay particular attention to the build date on the tires and discard if necessary. Your rig looks like it might already have aftermarket tires, OEM's are often garbage. Avoid Chinese tires altogether.

mooseknuckles

Distinguished Degenerate
That beauty looks like it is built for fun. Ground clearance screams take me to far off lands now! Congrats to you and your family on the many adventures ahead!

Favorite Gadget:
815EEBB9-6FA0-45D2-9516-DA76D80CBF58.png
Levelmate Pro
LevelMatePRO is a wireless vehicle leveling system that accurately reports how much height is required to reach a level position and tells you where that height is needed. It wirelessly connects with your smartphone or tablet, where an easy-to-use app displays the needed leveling information.

Most Used Item:
8B7E3569-3F9F-4A48-B0BC-6644B7DDDF27.jpeg
Blue Ridge Overland Tool Bag

Impressive shoe rack above. Our efforts to keep as much sand, riverbed, snow, rock, mud and grass outside consists of using interlocking mats. A set inside near the entry that easily lifts up to sweep anything out that was not left outside and a set outside near the entry to take shoes/boots off on before entering. Easy to rinse off, lightweight and the exterior set fits easily in one of the outside bays.
524C4900-71D9-4B0E-ACCD-752B62FE1306.jpeg
Duragrip Non Slip

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Most things have been covered. Leveling blocks are useful. I enjoy the solar panel. Mine is a folding one that I sometimes put on top. A longer extension cord so you can move it with the sun is helpful. As you use the trailer, you will find things that you can modify or improve. We carry a RV patio mat which reduces the crud tracked into the trailer. Outfit it with cooking and eating supplies (we use heavy duty paper plates from Costco) and then you don’t have to think about what to pack. I agree with the comments about the awning. My dad lost the one on his motorhome at Chopaka. I find that even a light breeze at night creates noise as the awning flaps in the wind. Keeps me awake.

Looks like you solved the Fishing Vacations that Offer Family Time thread that you posted. Enjoy!