Garmin Striker 4 deal

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have one on my fly fishing scow - agree with Lance, it's a great product for a fabulous price.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Can't say enough good things about this finder.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
PXL_20230307_183257355.jpg

I mean, they're great for depth, water temp & structure, but they're also great for finding fish....😆

And time...

Divad

Whitefish
Been wanting a small one for the float tube and $99 seems like a steal for CHIRP. Sort of wanted one of the small cast-able ones but to get CHIRP on one of those its $220.

Divad

Whitefish
You can get an extra $10 off the Garmin Striker. Fill out the fields with fake info aside from whichever email you want to sacrifice.The Hide My Email feature for Apple is quite nice to create emails on the fly for this kind of spam heavy thing.

Untitled.jpg

Voila, code achieved! Here is free one for someone, EC3A17E023

Make sure popup blocker is off on the Cabelas website to get the prompt to pop up. If it still doesnt pop up, clear your cookies.

Divad

Whitefish
Also instore when checking out from Cabelas/Bass Pro, remember to pass when they ask you for your phone number. This is NOT them connecting your purchase to your number.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
This thread may or may not have inspired an impulse buy.

Divad

Whitefish
Is it still considered euro nymphing if I am on 40ft of maxima, jigging a fly and playing the fish finder like a video game? Asking for a friend.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Is it still considered euro nymphing if I am on 40ft of maxima, jigging a fly and playing the fish finder like a video game? Asking for a friend.
When I'm fishing 150' down, tight line mono, to a jig, for lingcod, I'm Euro nymphing. So you're good.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Crap, I don’t need one of these. But I think I do want it. For those of you who have also used the Fishin Buddy 120, how would you compare? Is the Garmin a major upgrade?

And, how’s the market for FB 120s these days? I don’t really use the “side finder” to much effect, I don’t think. Are they at all a sought after item anymore?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I hear you @Matt B

I feel naked without my FB 120 but it’s only a matter of when it fails. Do I make a preemptive purchase? The Striker seems like the consensus pick for those who either missed the FB craze or have moved on. Gonna have to get out with @Billy and check it out!

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I hear you @Matt B

I feel naked without my FB 120 but it’s only a matter of when it fails. Do I make a preemptive purchase? The Striker seems like the consensus pick for those who either missed the FB craze or have moved on. Gonna have to get out with @Billy and check it out!
So let me share some thoughts as this was my first time out. Garmin made this stupid easy and fun to use. You can very easily switch between different views and different frequencies. My favorite was a split screen view with a wide beam standard sonar and a high frequency clear view. This gives me a large cone of view and then a detailed image. There is zero question when you are marking fish. In the clear view they are shaped like little ovals and in standard view arches.

I didn't play around too much with the map and way point features yesterday.
Mainly cause I didn't catch much😁

The only negative I can really think of is the transducer is decent size and you deal with a lot of cords. So I'll be zip tying those and figuring out a container. The strap with transducer mount and fish finder mount stayed in place and had zero play. The whole setup seems solid.

I don't think I'll miss my 120. The more detailed look of what's down below for me offsets the loss of the side scan.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Thanks @Billy

I’ve never been attached to the side finder on the FB 120. And the narrow cone makes it unreliable for marking fish in <18-20’ of water. But it’s been great for finding structure and keeping me in the zone when I can’t see the changes in 10+ feet. I’ll probably stick with it until it quits.

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Thanks @Billy

I’ve never been attached to the side finder on the FB 120. And the narrow cone makes it unreliable for marking fish in <18-20’ of water. But it’s been great for finding structure and keeping me in the zone when I can’t see the changes in 10+ feet. I’ll probably stick with it until it quits.
You will stick with it until I let you borrow mine for a day😁

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I've never understood how side view is useful on any fish finder. Never seems to show anything particularly useful.