Forewarned - diesel shortage coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCF

Life of the Party
I am. On the other hand I and most likely you can moderate our usage without running out of food or supplies. If the trucks and trains don't deliver the goods, there will be shortages, inflation, hoarding, etc.

Additional moderation is limited. Been doing it for awhile. I am only using 20 gallons of gas per month. Almost all trips are a combination of where I need to go to minimize number of trips whenever possible. Seeing health professionals seems to be my downfall though.

I agree with you.

I also sorta look at it like "canary in a coal mine". Stepping back a ways. If diesel is an issue, gas is not far behind.

Last edited:

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
This is scary but should we be surprised?

"We're going to end fossil fuel." - person detached from reality
I think there is a future without fossil fuels bur it's not reality now and until then we need cheap energy for transportation. Making energy prices high to force the change that we don't have the technology or the infrastructure to support is a horrible idea with real consequences for most people.
Top three issues for Americans according to recent polling
1. The economy
2. Crime
3 illegal immigration
Not listed in Amy particular order

Climate change you'll notice is not on the list..

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
I
Regardless of party affiliation we should all agree that in the short to mid term as we move towards an electric future America should tell OPEC producers to go to hell and become independent of middle east oil by using our own.. drilled, refined and used by Americans until we can be free of fossil fuels.
I was unaware of just how lacking in a basic understanding of global energy markets you are, or how small a percentage of OPEC oil we actually import. We import most of our oil from Canada, by far. We also export oil to Canada, in fact we export more oil to Canada than any place else, except Mexico.
🙄
You can tell OPEC whatever you want, their ability to influence pricing far exceeds yours, and the price you ultimately pay for fuels will always be determined by the market price worldwide and not some damn fever dream fantasy US drilled/refined/used scenario...which is simply never going to happen. If we didn't use one drop of OPEC oil, the price you pay for fuels woukd not appreciably change.

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
I
I was unaware of just how lacking in a basic understanding of global energy markets you are, or how small a percentage of OPEC oil we actually import. We import most of our oil from Canada, by far. We also export oil to Canada, in fact we export more oil to Canada than any place else, except Mexico.
🙄
You can tell OPEC whatever you want, their ability to influence pricing far exceeds yours, and the price you ultimately pay for fuels will always be determined by the market price worldwide and not some damn fever dream fantasy US drilled/refined/used scenario...which is simply never going to happen. If we didn't use one drop of OPEC oil, the price you pay for fuels woukd not appreciably change.

Lots of things are never going to happen.. that doesn't change what the right thing to do is. But it's time for countries like Saudi Arabia to understand just how unimportant they are.

Time to de-globalize

Divad

Whitefish
Resources are not equally distributed across the globe…just like how I can’t produce sheet metal at home so I trade for it with cash.

I urge you to watch the Saudi Arabia’s public response to this problem.

This green energy policy has a spot between my 🏈 ⚽🏀 and 🍑 .

longputt

Steelhead
Time to go back to 55 mph!

Energy and oil is my least favorite internet topic. Of all the asinine uniformed internet topics this leads the way.

Not one comment on here makes sense thermodynamically...but who needs thermodynamics when you have internet science?

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think there is a future without fossil fuels bur it's not reality now and until then we need cheap energy for transportation. Making energy prices high to force the change that we don't have the technology or the infrastructure to support is a horrible idea with real consequences for most people.
Top three issues for Americans according to recent polling
1. The economy
2. Crime
3 illegal immigration
Not listed in Amy particular order

Climate change you'll notice is not on the list..

This is due to messaging. These are not the biggest issues that effect American life. I agree with economy(which I think is being handled well) but climate change is becoming a bigger and bigger part of that.

As far as fuel prices, check out the record profits of all the major oil companies.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I
🙄
There's something that can be done about that, but it's something that American's just aren't able to conceive of, and something we routinely invade other countries over for being "unfree" or whatever excuse.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
There's something that can be done about that, but it's something that American's just aren't able to conceive of, and something we routinely invade other countries over for being "unfree" or whatever excuse.
There has been no more noble military pursuit in American history that beating communism.
I don't expect people to agree with that but I don't care, that's just how horrible communism is.

Greg Price

Steelhead
I don't see this as a failure of free market systems. I am further seeing dependence on foreign sources and a limited pool of competition as an issue. Attached is an article that keeps it simple, non political, and straightforward.

Wow, very informative.. thanks for posting

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
There has been no more noble military pursuit in American history that beating communism.
In the end, communism defeats itself. It doesn't really need America for that. But one could say it's good for business. That may be the most American thing about it. I don't disagree that communism is bad. I just don't think it's necessary for America or anyone else to try to defeat it when it's possible to just watch it crumble from within.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In the end, communism defeats itself. It doesn't really need America for that. But one could say it's good for business. That may be the most American thing about it. I don't disagree that communism is bad. I just don't think it's necessary for America or anyone else to try to defeat it when it's possible to just watch it crumble from within.

But we've never had real communism yet. We should try it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.