Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge - but with fly rods...

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm still waiting on an Edge Archetype that I ordered about 4 months ago. And I'm waiting on the tube and sock from another rod ordered 6 months ago. I think that Edge is primarily focused on traditional gear chucking, so they run way behind on fly rods. Waiting for my second rod and then I'll post a review of the Edge rods that I've purchased.
I definitely went in eyes wide open to that type of possibility. Maybe I was just lucky. Regardless though, I'm very happy with the rods themselves...

Scslat

Anadromous Angler
Forum Supporter
I definitely went in eyes wide open to that type of possibility. Maybe I was just lucky. Regardless though, I'm very happy with the rods themselves...
I also went in with eyes open, so I'm not suggesting that I was misled on customer service. I've heard good things about the blanks so am hoping for good rods from Edge. The person that I followed up with at the company has been very nice and responsive, but really all she can do is explain their supply chain issues, which I get. I'm cheering for the company to be successful, which is partly why I ordered a couple of rods from them. I really hope they can get their act together.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Pulled the trigger on an Orvis Recon Gen 2 9' 5wt combined with an Orvis Mirage II. Killer deal.

The rod is second hand, but never had a reel put on it yet. Reel is slightly used. Feels great in the hand. I haven't casted it yet, but can already tell I'm going to like it more than the Echo Trout X.

Will update after some lawn casting.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Pulled the trigger on an Orvis Recon Gen 2 9' 5wt combined with an Orvis Mirage II. Killer deal.

The rod is second hand, but never had a reel put on it yet. Reel is slightly used. Feels great in the hand. I haven't casted it yet, but can already tell I'm going to like it more than the Echo Trout X.

Nice! Only problem is that everybody knows that Orvis rods don't work West of the Mississipp.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Did some lawn casting this morning. I'm using a 5wt WF SA trout taper. I think that line works better on the Med to med/fast rods. But I was able to adjust and make it work on the Recon.

First impressions - light and responsive. After 15 minutes of casting, I could see that the swing weight was possibly heavier than some higher end rods - but still much better than my budget rods. Will definitely be a nice quick and accurate shooter with minimal back-casting needed - water load and let it fly.

Action is fast but forgiving.

Was effortless and laser beam accurate from about 25-50 feet.

Handled my big ugly test streamer (steelhead size) better than the other rods I tested the other day. A normal bh woolly bugger similarly will cast really nice.

Hitting 60 was no problem, but I think the line just wasn't optimal for being accurate from 55+. Probably just me though. Reviews said it had trouble beyond 60 feet. I could definitely see that. It stubbornly seemed to reject the idea of going much beyond 60... But some of that was me and some of that was the line. I'll adjust both and see what happens. But as-is, it will be a blast for an all-around trout rod. SRC, moderate to larger rivers, and lakes - tossing everything needed. For my favorite small creeks and small wild trout waters - i'll stick to my 2-4 wts.

Bottom line - mission accomplished. Found a rod that definitely stands out from my quiver and I'm excited to get it out on the water.

Oh, and the Mirage reel is also super nice. Probably my nicest reel (being that I like fishing old school medalists, battenkills, and similar - even on my salmon and steelhead rods) and will certainly be overkill for 99% of what I fish for. But might be fun to get a gnarly carp, humpy, summer steel, or beach salmon and let that nice drag do its thing. Will pair nicely with the Recon. Now I have to go find the perfect line to complete the package.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Did some lawn casting this morning. I'm using a 5wt WF SA trout taper. I think that line works better on the Med to med/fast rods. But I was able to adjust and make it work on the Recon.

First impressions - light and responsive. After 15 minutes of casting, I could see that the swing weight was possibly heavier than some higher end rods - but still much better than my budget rods. Will definitely be a nice quick and accurate shooter with minimal back-casting needed - water load and let it fly.

Action is fast but forgiving.

Was effortless and laser beam accurate from about 25-50 feet.

Handled my big ugly test streamer (steelhead size) better than the other rods I tested the other day. A normal bh woolly bugger similarly will cast really nice.

Hitting 60 was no problem, but I think the line just wasn't optimal for being accurate from 55+. Probably just me though. Reviews said it had trouble beyond 60 feet. I could definitely see that. It stubbornly seemed to reject the idea of going much beyond 60... But some of that was me and some of that was the line. I'll adjust both and see what happens. But as-is, it will be a blast for an all-around trout rod. SRC, moderate to larger rivers, and lakes - tossing everything needed. For my favorite small creeks and small wild trout waters - i'll stick to my 2-4 wts.

Bottom line - mission accomplished. Found a rod that definitely stands out from my quiver and I'm excited to get it out on the water.

Oh, and the Mirage reel is also super nice. Probably my nicest reel (being that I like fishing old school medalists, battenkills, and similar - even on my salmon and steelhead rods) and will certainly be overkill for 99% of what I fish for. But might be fun to get a gnarly carp, humpy, summer steel, or beach salmon and let that nice drag do its thing. Will pair nicely with the Recon. Now I have to go find the perfect line to complete the package.
Glad you liked it. I find mine prefers a true to weight line like the hydros more than the 1/2 heavy pro. And yes, I can move a lot of junk on a 3 fly setup with it. I have some trouble with that over 60' mark, but I get to where I'm overpowering it and collapsing the rod. Just got to let it do the work. Good luck on first outing.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter

Congrats on the new rod Chad. I hope you really enjoy fishing it!

Hem

Life of the Party
Sage XP 8'6"-5 wght.
Highly sought after due to cult following but can be found.
They pop up on Ebay. I bought one from classified on Kienes fly fishing forum.
Usually sell for around $300-$350.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
I got an Edge Archetype 9' 4wt. last year, yeah it took a while to get, but it was worth it. Nice rod, great fit and finish, casts and fishes nicely. Good price point.