Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge - but with fly rods...

Chadk

Life of the Party
I'm finally treating myself to a higher (for me) quality rod. I just ordered a new Echo Trout X and after 2 lawn casting sessions - decided I don't care for it. I want to LOVE it and notice a difference between that and my lower end rods. Obviously the trout x isn't high end, but it is supposed to be a pack leader for the mid level rods. But again, just wasn't impressing me like I hoped.

I did a lot of testing and comparisons with: (all 9' 5wts, each tested with three different 3 reels with 3 different lines, casting 2 different flies - a small dry and a big heavy streamer)
1) Martin Mohawk River 2pc - medium action, lowest budget rod of the group. Handled big and small fly just fine. Just had to slow my mechanics a bit and open the loops a bit. But reasonably close to the others. Not as sensitive, but not terrible. Fit and finish as you'd expect - nothing crazy, but again, not terrible. I tend to use this for one of my kids or guests to borrow when fishing with me. Best for smaller water and light wind.
2) Sage LE 4pc - medium action Sage budget rod. Probably the heaviest of the bunch. Casts similar to the Martin, but a little more backbone. Not very sensitive. Fine for small water and little wind. Fit and finish a step up from the martin, but still very basic.
3) TFO NXT black label - a budget friendly med/fast rod from TFO. Reasonably sensitive. Could delicately cast the small fly close and far. Could turn over the heavy streamer at decent distances. Tighter loops. Feels light in the hand and responsive. Decent backbone for punching into wind or going for distance. Probably the best fit and finish of the bunch. Nothing fancy, but definitely stood out.
3) Echo Trout X 4pc - I REALLY wanted this one to stand out. but at the end of the test, it just didn't out-perform the TFO. It is probably lighter, but that was about it. A solid all-around med-fast trout rod good in a variety of scenarios - but didn't stand out in any real way. Fit and finsih were nothing special. The coat was nice and components fine. Just nothing special. If I looked at my rods as I was heading out to the yak or my favorite lake, which would I grab? Probably the TFO.

So I'm returning the Trout X. Good plug for your local fly shop to try before you buy...

So, now I'm looking for a new rod again. I want something to that stands out from the others. A faster action than the TFO and one that I will have confidence in distance, accuracy, and wind scenarios. Sensitive and responsive. Steamers or dries. American made if possible.

Here are 3 I'm considering at the moment that are used (barely) and look like good options. But I'm kinda out of my element here and looking for input!!

1) Taylor Truth Z - not a lot of reviews, but sounds promising
2) Orvis Recon Gen 2 - not a lot of reviews on the gen 2, but sounds promising
3) Hardy Demon Smuggler (6pc travel rod with good reviews)

Thoughts on these? Others I should be considering? Budget is around $350 to $450 tops.

Oh, and anyone familiar with these Red Truck Diesel fly reels? Love the old school look and feel: https://redtruckflyfishing.com/product/red-truck-diesel-fly-reel-56-weight/
Would be nice on that Hardy I think :)

Thanks!!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Every thought of these?

tough to try out since it's direct, but I've been VERY happy with my 5wt...but, if you want to try it out I can send mine to you. Slightly different build since I did the grip/etc and then @PhilR finished it out for me (I have decided that rod building just isn't for me). But the same blank used below...

Last edited:

Zak

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'll look up the reviews and specs. Fast action?
Moderate action. Slow-moderate by today's standards, probably. My 486-LL GIII is by far my favorite rod. Your mileage may vary.

Reading your post again, maybe this is too slow for what you want. It's not really a streamer in the wind rod. More of a delicate magic wand.

Chadk

Life of the Party
Moderate action. Slow-moderate by today's standards, probably. My 486-LL GIII is by far my favorite rod. Your mileage may vary.

Reading your post again, maybe this is too slow for what you want. It's not really a streamer in the wind rod. More of a delicate magic wand.
yeah, I have many rods with medium to medium fast action in 4-5wt. I want just one actual fast action rod that stands out from the others.

Reactions: Zak

Chadk

Life of the Party
Every thought of these?

tough to try out since it's direct, but I've been VERY happy with my 5wt....if you want to try it out I can send it to you. Slightly different build since I did the grip/etc and then @PhilR finished it out for me (I have decided that rod building just isn't for me). But the same blank used below...

Been a while - but I've heard of these. Is it light weight, responsive, sensitive, and fast - without being a broom handle? Most days I love my 4 and 5wts in medium action - but lately i've been craving that laser beam I can use to zap pocket water quickly or punch accurately into the wind - nice tight loops.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Been a while - but I've heard of these. Is it light weight, responsive, sensitive, and fast - without being a broom handle? Most days I love my 4 and 5wts in medium action - but lately i've been craving that laser beam I can use to zap pocket water quickly or punch accurately into the wind - nice tight loops.
seems to be...then again, I'm a glass guy, so EVERYTHING is fast...lol. No, it is pretty fast (I still have a few faster action rods in my quiver). I haven't fully tested it out in the park for distance, but I'll bet it would be a nice little rocket launcher.

Chadk

Life of the Party
seems to be...then again, I'm a glass guy, so EVERYTHING is fast...lol. No, it is pretty fast (I still have a few faster action rods in my quiver). I haven't fully tested it out in the park for distance, but I'll bet it would be a nice little rocket launcher.
in my quick check - sounds like many complaints about slow shipping and extremely poor customer service experience (some very good reviews as well to be fair).

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
in my quick check - sounds like many complaints about slow shipping and extremely poor customer service experience (some very good reviews as well to be fair).
With my euro rod I ordered from Edge, I did not experience anything like that.

nor did I experience that when ordering any of my NFC blanks (where the 5wt came from, but also multiple orders of various Iconoglass blanks)...

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
then again, those reviews are there for a reason...

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm finally treating myself to a higher (for me) quality rod. I just ordered a new Echo Trout X and after 2 lawn casting sessions - decided I don't care for it. I want to LOVE it and notice a difference between that and my lower end rods. Obviously the trout x isn't high end, but it is supposed to be a pack leader for the mid level rods. But again, just wasn't impressing me like I hoped.
x2...not impressed with my Trout X 5 wt, rod section dots don't quite line up, cork meh, flex lacks crispness. Best thing about it, bought on sale

RCF

Life of the Party
@Chadk have you considered a used high-end rod. Warranties are not like they used to be. By looking at used rods it expands your selection and possibly a rod that has more backbone as well as sensitivity ---> which they are known for. Maybe also look at a 6 weight as an alternative...

Chadk

Life of the Party
@Chadk have you considered a used high-end rod. Warranties are not like they used to be. By looking at used rods it expands your selection and possibly a rod that has more backbone as well as sensitivity ---> which they are known for. Maybe also look at a 6 weight as an alternative...
Yep. That's where I'm at right now. Just narrowing down options.

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hard part is test casting. But if it’s a decent deal it should be easy to just re sell

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I have a 9' 4wt Recon 2. It's a great rod, but I'm my book I'm going to say medium fast. I have a 9' 5wt Clearwater that to me is quite fast, and I fish indicators with it mostly. Not the high end rod you're looking for, and your broomstick analogy may not be far off, but I like it.

Chadk

Life of the Party
I have a 9' 4wt Recon 2. It's a great rod, but I'm my book I'm going to say medium fast. I have a 9' 5wt Clearwater that to me is quite fast, and I fish indicators with it mostly. Not the high end rod you're looking for, and your broomstick analogy may not be far off, but I like it.
Appreciate the input. This rod is being sold by a local guy, so I'll be able to try it out (at least feel it in my hand - if not actually lawn cast it). Will post an update...

Scslat

Anadromous Angler
Forum Supporter
With my euro rod I ordered from Edge, I did not experience anything like that.

nor did I experience that when ordering any of my NFC blanks (where the 5wt came from, but also multiple orders of various Iconoglass blanks)...
I'm still waiting on an Edge Archetype that I ordered about 4 months ago. And I'm waiting on the tube and sock from another rod ordered 6 months ago. I think that Edge is primarily focused on traditional gear chucking, so they run way behind on fly rods. Waiting for my second rod and then I'll post a review of the Edge rods that I've purchased.