Fly Tiers in WA & OR, Be Advised

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
EDIT 3/27: Just got a response from WA Senator Derek Stanford who informed me that SB 5654 failed to move out of the Washington State Senate on time and is unlikely to pass this session. That said, it turns out there are a number of groups and citizens who are not only seeking to rally and get it passed this session but also expand it next session/proposal to include anything that uses fur--including materials used in arts, crafts, and sports.

Oregon House Bill 3390 seeks to ban the sale of fur products. I could be wrong, but it seems like a myopic bill that could possibly impact fly-tying materials.

1679796292359.jpeg

Might want to oppose this one.

Click here to weigh in on the bill:
Either to support or to oppose.

Edit: Apparently it’s being proposed here in Washington, too:
53BC01F6-EF6F-450A-A77A-21885725444B.jpeg

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I will say that none of the listed definitions of "fur product" would seem to cover fly tying materials.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I will say that none of the listed definitions of "fur product" would seem to cover fly tying materials.
2A seems to ban, and the exemptions don't seem to allow, elk, moose, rabbit, goat, squirrel tails, polar bear, boar, etc. Though one could make the argument that elk and moose are deer.

But maybe fly tying materials are considered leather or preserved through taxidermy? I'll admit I'm not great at interpreting these things.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
2A seems to ban,
While I'm no lawyer, 2A seems to define what "fur" means for this law. And the law isn't banning the sale of "fur" but rather "fur products" which are defined by section 2B.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
So it has to be attached to a skin and be worn...
Lots of fly tying materials are fur on skin, beaver, mink, musrat, squirrel, rabbit... so it seems any lawyer could blow this apart by saying how come you can have a rabbit zonker strip but not a rabbit fur hat?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
So it has to be attached to a skin and be worn...
Lots of fly tying materials are fur on skin, beaver, mink, musrat, squirrel, rabbit... so it seems any lawyer could blow this apart by saying how come you can have a rabbit zonker strip but not a rabbit fur hat?
So it does have to be designed to be worn to be banned? I’ve read this thing several times and each time I get more confused.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Gonna have to start killing my own animals to tie flies.
I'm getting low on ostrich herl

Portland zoo, here I come.

Just joking, I'm from Washington. We are much more reasonable. Right? Eh....

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Gonna have to start killing my own animals to tie flies.
I'm getting low on ostrich herl

Portland zoo, here I come.

Just joking, I'm from Washington. We are much more reasonable. Right? Eh....
Your response prompted an “Oh, shit! No, we probably aren’t” Google search.

Hopefully, it doesn't make it out of committee, but feel free to let your legislators know what you think about this bill. Click here to send them a comment/concern/question about it

E0DBFF01-F7FE-4296-AA94-5B35C7897C5D.jpeg

Last edited:

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Your response prompted an “Oh, shit! No, we probably aren’t” Google search.

Hopefully, it doesn't make it out of committee.

View attachment 59266

Shocker. Lol
(No lol, not funny)

Last I checked there are a few issues the government should be working on.

Drives me nuts when they spend time on worthless stuff. Needless to say, I should be in an assylum.

Norm Frechette

Googlemeister
Forum Supporter
will all of the taxidermists be put out of business?

no more trapping?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
will all of the taxidermists be put out of business?

no more trapping?
Based on the loose wording of this bill, the implications are there that it could affect a lot of industries, including fly-tying materials and fly fishing.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I'm stocking up on Merkins.

Don't they know the importance of this industry to us gender focused individuals? I thought Oregon governor was friend.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Taxidermy is specifically excluded from the definition of fur product. I think the definition of fur product does not include flies and fly tying materials.
Hopefully, if this doesn't die in committee, that’s the interpretation and version that makes it to the floor.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Complete insanity.
I wonder what's pushing WA and OR legislators on these bills? Seal clubbing for fur collection apparently is still a big thing which I personally could do without. Are the bill sponsors concerned with how chickens are slaughtered for market? Lambs? Cattle? Chickens, lambs and cattle are apparently not the target for protection so what is driving this? First world problems, my goodness.

(I better keep quiet about my stash of polar bear hair)

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Was this sponsored by PETA?

It reads like it.