Fly Rods On Commercial Flights?

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'm seeing a lot of posts on travel plans for the coming year so this should hopefully be an easy question to answer.
A world traveler I'm not so I'm wondering what's allowed when traveling with a fly rod.
I'll be flying Alaska Airlines one direction and United Airlines the other.
The rod I'm taking is in a cordura tube that's 2 3/4" x 32".
I've done some internet searching but haven't found any real definitive answers.

Thanks for any help.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
The last four round trip flights I’ve been on I’ve carried four piece rods in tubes on the flights.
Only got asked once to see it it would fit in the carryon bag size container, which of course it won’t.
I just told the dude I’d flown on his airline multiple times with the same rod and he said ok, no problem.
SF

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Dean - Alaska won't mind at all and I sincerely doubt United will. I saw two longer rod tubes on our Delta flight from LAX to GEG Monday evening. TSA may run you through a different baggage scanner (which they did to me at SEATAC).

East Coaster

Steelhead
I've flown United many times (last in 2021) with either 3 or 4 piece rods in aluminum or cordura tubes and never had an issue carrying them on (in addition to a carry-on bag). I'm originating in Newark and other points of departure (for the return trip) have been Seattle, Portland and a number of other US airports. I would email United and if you get a positive reply, have it in hand to show to the agent at check-in if challenged (I've never done that, but it can't hurt). Hope this helps.

Bruce Baker

Steelhead
It has been a while since I have flown with my fly rods, but I never had an issue bringing them onboard as carry-on. Normally, one or two 4-piece rods in aluminum tubes. When they were getting a little persnickety about the number of carry on items, I used to put one end of the rod tube into the water bottle holder of my backpack so that the "two" items now counted as "one." Then I would put the tube in the overhead bin.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It has been a while since I have flown with my fly rods, but I never had an issue bringing them onboard as carry-on. Normally, one or two 4-piece rods in aluminum tubes. When they were getting a little persnickety about the number of carry on items, I used to put one end of the rod tube into the water bottle holder of my backpack so that the "two" items now counted as "one." Then I would put the tube in the overhead bin.
Yea I had the same thing but they got a little cranky about me saying it was one item.

My experience has been 4 (and even 2pc that are 9’ or less) have been fine but that is your personal item.

That said you can always call the airline you fly with to confirm.

Divad

Whitefish
Alaska Air excludes fishing poles from carry-on size restrictions.

View attachment 50643
“My doctor prescribes I fish so it doesn’t count as my bag” - Me

But really good info! So if you’re forced to split up rods and gear/luggage I’d be half tempted to get a rod case that I can squeeze my waders into incase my bags are lost/delayed. That way aside from boots everything to fish is accounted for.

Paging @Brute, you seem to take some awesome trips! I assume with your rods, any tips for traveling with your loved ones?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Pretty wild to put human organs and fishing poles in the same category.
Equally necessary for a healthy and happy life, in my book. Don’t know that I could live without them.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
“My doctor prescribes I fish so it doesn’t count as my bag” - Me

But really good info! So if you’re forced to split up rods and gear/luggage I’d be half tempted to get a rod case that I can squeeze my waders into incase my bags are lost/delayed. That way aside from boots everything to fish is accounted for.

Paging @Brute, you seem to take some awesome trips! I assume with your rods, any tips for traveling with your loved ones?
The large Orvis Carry-it-all bag is pretty awesome.

Personally, I throw a few rods into a large multi-rod tube, strap it to my waterproof backpack, throw my reels and (if I need them) waders and wading boots in the backpack, and call it done.

If my clothing gets lost in checked-baggage I will make do with on-scene replacements and what I am wearing.

If my rods and reels get lost my trip has hit the fan.

IHFISH

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sounds like we're talking domestic travel only, but worth mentioning that if traveling to Mexico do some research because some states/cities allow you to carry on rods for the trip back home like you did on the way down and others will not. I learned this hard way. It all ended well, but I'm more familiar with the Alaska destroyed luggage claims process than I want to be.

Deansie

Steelhead
Sounds like we're talking domestic travel only, but worth mentioning that if traveling to Mexico do some research because some states/cities allow you to carry on rods for the trip back home like you did on the way down and others will not. I learned this hard way. It all ended well, but I'm more familiar with the Alaska destroyed luggage claims process than I want to be.
Cancun…no issues carrying rods on, Cabo need to check it. This based on personal experience.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Only issue I’ve had was returning from a Bahamas trip. The normal rod in the overhead was fine, but they wouldn’t let me have my reels in my carryon bag. They made me check it.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I've had no problem carrying three piece 9' fly rods onto alaska flights.

Don't try to carry a fly box onto a loganair flight to or from the outer hebrides. They make you check all your flies, not matter what the size. Evidently you can hijack a plane with a size 12 Olive bumble.

Last edited: