Fly Rods On Commercial Flights?

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
I usually just tape the tubes to my carry on backpack. I’ve brought loaded reels and big striper and LMB flies on board. Never had any issues domestically. I had a TSA guy make a “River runs through it” remark when my bag was going through the X-ray but that’s about it.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
“My doctor prescribes I fish so it doesn’t count as my bag” - Me

But really good info! So if you’re forced to split up rods and gear/luggage I’d be half tempted to get a rod case that I can squeeze my waders into incase my bags are lost/delayed. That way aside from boots everything to fish is accounted for.

Paging @Brute, you seem to take some awesome trips! I assume with your rods, any tips for traveling with your loved ones?
I always carry on my reels in my backpack, my spare Patagonia travel waders which roll up very small, one complete set of clothing and 4 rods in a Fishpond multi rod tube. I’ll wear on my feet a one size larger low top hiking shoes with two pairs of socks that my Patagonia waders will fit into…then check all my other fishing gear including regular waders and boots. I had luggage lost twice while traveling, but had everything I needed with me to fish…

c2peak

Smolt
Forum Supporter
For what it’s worth, I’ve had zero issues flying with a standard 9 foot 4 piece fly rod in a cordura rod tube. Just flew to Florida and back with one over the Christmas/New Year holiday. United on the way to FL and Delta on the way back to WA.

flybill

Life of the Party
I'm taking one rod to Kentucky with me.. probably my 6wt, although considering one of my bamboo rods.. I won't be focused on fishing, bourbons and friends, but there are some spots along the way. A small fly box or two and just the basics. I'm planning on checking baggage both ways, so not planning on carrying them on.. although I would prefer too. I am flying Alaska!

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I also have flown with rods, domestically including Hawaii, with no problems. But my question is regarding the contents in the typical vest/sling/waist/chest pack. In the height of frenzy, anything sharp was “iffy”, or just banned. What about nippers/scissors, and hooks? I’d hope to carry on those as well. A fly line even could be used as a garrote, and maybe even was banned. Anyone have a definitive answer?
Planning on tagging along to Croatia late summer with the stipulation that I’d fish for a day or so, east of Split probably.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I also have flown with rods, domestically including Hawaii, with no problems. But my question is regarding the contents in the typical vest/sling/waist/chest pack. In the height of frenzy, anything sharp was “iffy”, or just banned. What about nippers/scissors, and hooks? I’d hope to carry on those as well. A fly line even could be used as a garrote, and maybe even was banned. Anyone have a definitive answer?
Planning on tagging along to Croatia late summer with the stipulation that I’d fish for a day or so, east of Split probably.
I’ve had problems with both tools & hooks in carry on, so I always check them with my luggage. My nail clippers in my toiletry bag has done double duty as clippers…never had problems carrying on my rods or reels…

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I’ve had problems with both tools & hooks in carry on, so I always check them with my luggage. My nail clippers in my toiletry bag has done double duty as clippers…never had problems carrying on my rods or reels…
Thanks, kinda what I thought. Sweetly doesn’t pack light so I can slip a small pouch in her checked bag. But sometime I might travel without checking bags, so I’d like to know. Domestic? Canada, or internationally?

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
As I had mentioned earlier in this thread, I was not allowed to have my reels in my carry on on a return flight from the Bahamas. I’m pretty sure they were concerned with the fly line.

Granted, this was within just a few years of the 9/11 event. This has never been an issue for me flying to or from Mexico, Hawaii, Honduras, Canada, Europe or domestically before or since then.
Thanks, kinda what I thought. Sweetly doesn’t pack light so I can slip a small pouch in her checked bag. But sometime I might travel without checking bags, so I’d like to know. Domestic? Canada, or internationally?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I'm just gonna bump this up rather than start up a new thread.

I'm curious if any of you take those carry-alls as carry on? I have one that is something like 35" or so that fits multiple rods/reels plus other gear & wondering if anyone has ever had issues with this. I plan on checking all flies and tools.

This will be on Alaska Airlines PDX to Mexico.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'm just gonna bump this up rather than start up a new thread.

I'm curious if any of you take those carry-alls as carry on? I have one that is something like 35" or so that fits multiple rods/reels plus other gear & wondering if anyone has ever had issues with this. I plan on checking all flies and tools.

This will be on Alaska Airlines PDX to Mexico.
I fly almost exclusively on Alaska Air, have flown out of PDX even, and they have never had a problem with me carrying on a multi-rod tube (Fishpond Jackalope) or rod-and-reel case. I've even strapped them to my backpack and had them count it as one item.

You do, however, have to call them "fishing poles"
0E087E33-6593-4432-8CC2-7C25B22F11FF.jpeg

Shad

Life of the Party
I've had varying experiences, even on the same airline (Alaska). Last year, I took a trip to Florida and packed several rods into the same, large travel tube. It was something like 6 feet long by 5 inches wide. I had to check that one. This year, I scaled back my arsenal to only two fly rods (3 and 4-piece 9-footers), both of which fit in the 3-piece's tube. They let me carry that on. Never had an issue with reels or flies, but then, I usually pack those in my checked bag....

Alaska lists a "rule" that carry on items be no longer than 45" on their site, so a 2-piece might have to be checked.

Whatever the case, I make sure my rods are tightly packed, in case they need to be checked, which generally means they will be handled roughly. That way, your rods should always arrive intact....

G_Smolt

Legend
Currently on the last leg of a 7,000+ mile international round trip to fish (AKAir), carried 5 flypoles and 4 reels with the flystring still on 'em in this -
20230404_055818.jpg
I would leave pliers and hooks in your packed luggage if on any airline but Alaska or Intl flights, but I have carried on several boxes of flies in this case as well with no hassle all over the west coast

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Currently on the last leg of a 7,000+ mile international round trip to fish (AKAir), carried 5 flypoles and 4 reels with the flystring still on 'em in this -
View attachment 60410
I would leave pliers and hooks in your packed luggage if on any airline but Alaska or Intl flights, but I have carried on several boxes of flies in this case as well with no hassle all over the west coast
On one trip to Alaska (on Alaska) a couple of years ago there was a guy tying flies a few rows behind me. Arrow scissors, and 1/0 or #2 hooks. I think Alaska sees a lot of anglers and is perhaps more permissive than others.

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I fly with my trombone in a gig bag (soft leather case) and haven't had any problems yet. It fits in the overhead bins. Last time I asked the Alaska if I could load in a earlier group and she put me on board with the first group of passengers.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
On one trip to Alaska (on Alaska) a couple of years ago there was a guy tying flies a few rows behind me. Arrow scissors, and 1/0 or #2 hooks. I think Alaska sees a lot of anglers and is perhaps more permissive than others.
If I did that, I'm pretty sure I'd never be let on another flight for life.

bucktail trimmings for EVERYONE!

My carry-all is the 37" version (it's some knock-off, but well enough made...I've checked it before)....thanks for the info thus far!

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I fly almost exclusively on Alaska Air, have flown out of PDX even, and they have never had a problem with me carrying on a multi-rod tube (Fishpond Jackalope) or rod-and-reel case. I've even strapped them to my backpack and had them count it as one item.

You do, however, have to call them "fishing poles"
View attachment 60406
Whenever I visit out of town flyshops I make a special effort to compliment them on their 'fishing pole' selection. The look I get is precious. Then I ask their opinion about which bobbers are best.

One day I'll have the courage to remark that "I don't see any worm cans".

Pez Vela

Steelhead
We do trips on Alaska Airlines to the Baja, a couple times a year. There is no problem taking your rods and reels down as a carryon, but we've had to check the rods and reels coming back. Apparently they are considered to be a dangerous items down there. (its a Mexican thing)

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
If I did that, I'm pretty sure I'd never be let on another flight for life.

bucktail trimmings for EVERYONE!

My carry-all is the 37" version (it's some knock-off, but well enough made...I've checked it before)....thanks for the info thus far!
You'll note that you haven't been invited to tie at my house after that one time...

Which we need to remedy!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
You'll note that you haven't been invited to tie at my house after that one time...

Which we need to remedy!
Hey man, just cause you thought I was sweeping everything to the floor doesn't mean I was.....😆