Fly rod holder for Bote Zeppelin.

Tugs

Just Hatched
Greetings,
I bought a Bote Zeppelin 10’ (on sale at Costco for $499). I’m looking for ideas that will safety hold two fly rods. I googled many ideas but they are most for spinning or bait cast rods.
Any packaged items That I can purchase? Any ideas of DYI PVC holders?
I’ll probably use a milk crate behind my seat.
Thanks!
Tugs

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Not sure how to get two rods, but you could setup a scotty float tube rod holder (the mount w/ straps) using the D loops in front of where you sit.

1680013025917.png

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use two Scotty’s. One on the front facing back and store a rod in one facing forward. They also have tube clamps if you can attach to a frame.

Scott Salzer

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I looked up that rig, an inflatable kayak. I have no ideas or suggestions for you, except laying the rod down, without hooks.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
You might have to glue on one or two of the base mounts so you can screw in the Scotty mount. Maybe just one if you go with the tree.

Like this

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
oh, milk crates work great too though. That's what I used when I had a SOT kayak.

cdnred

Life of the Party
You might have to glue on one or two of the base mounts so you can screw in the Scotty mount. Maybe just one if you go with the tree.

Like this
+2, that's you best bet by far. looking at your kayak, it appears to have a floor so the strap on mounts may not work in your case. Glue on pads are your best solution..

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
+2, that's you best bet by far. looking at your kayak, it appears to have a floor so the strap on mounts may not work in your case. Glue on pads are your best solution..
The floor board has several d rings on it that straps can go thru. Glue on pads are a good idea though, you can get it exactly where you want.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Bote seems to make a behind the paddler rack thing that is compatible with the Zeppelin.

I'm pretty sure you could attach a round-bar scotty mount to that. That said, I can't tell if the rack actually straps down or if it's just in there loose. Though the D-Rings that were mentioned earlier might solve that issue.

I'm curious how this works out for fishing. Could be a more portable alternative to a hard kayak. I do wonder about how it will interact with hooks/fish-spines/etc.

Tugs

Just Hatched
I moved away from the hard rack since I has so much fun jumping out planes in the military that my back isn't as strong as I'd like. With that said, I'll keep the group posted. I could add a milk crate to the back but prefer my gear in front or on my side.

Tugs

Just Hatched
Bote seems to make a behind the paddler rack thing that is compatible with the Zeppelin.

I'm pretty sure you could attach a round-bar scotty mount to that. That said, I can't tell if the rack actually straps down or if it's just in there loose. Though the D-Rings that were mentioned earlier might solve that issue.

I'm curious how this works out for fishing. Could be a more portable alternative to a hard kayak. I do wonder about how it will interact with hooks/fish-spines/etc.
good catch. thanks for checking this out.

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
but prefer my gear in front or on my side.
You might consider two different solutions - one for your active/trolling rod and a different setup for storage.

I use the Scotty fly rod holder mentioned above for my active rod and for trolling on my Fish Cat Scout. I have it mounted on a Scotty Glue-on patch that is on the front left of my boat since I cast with my left hand. The Scotty holder is very flexible and the rod secure when trolling or changing location at 3 to 4 mph.

I stow my second, rigged rod, on the inside of the right pontoon with the reel to the front and rod going back along the side of the pontoon. The black plastic rod holder older is a holder that I got from Facebook Marketplace for a spinning rod. It is attached to the boat with adhesive Velcro strips on the boat and the holder. I lengthened the notch for in the holder and then cut a notch so the reel could pivot 90 degrees down. I was going to make the cuts with a Dremel but was able to do the changes with a 1" box cutter. You could start with any cheap rod holder and modify it to fit your rod/reel. You may want to file a flat spot onto the back of a round rod holder for the Velcro strip.

I'm going into season 3 with my this setup and it works fine. Since the stowed rod is laying against inside of the pontoon for most of it's length it is well protected. It's out of way when I'm not using it but quickly accessible beside me if I want to change rods.

Ken

20210708 1.jpg
5d4 20230328.jpg

BFC

Smolt
Glue on these Mighty Mounts with HH66 glue.

Compatible with Scotty and Yak attack rod holders, along with host of other items.
Omega rod holders from Yak holds fly, spin and gear.

Mound one next to the seat on each side and one in front like Bote does from the factory.

Attachments

• switchpad-flexible-surface-mount-with-mightymount-switch-mmsp-1002__08640.jpg
    switchpad-flexible-surface-mount-with-mightymount-switch-mmsp-1002__08640.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 3