Fly Fishing Puget Sound

Two years ago I had the pleasure of taking my good friend Todd Moen out to fish on Puget Sound. He has made some of the best fly fishing films there is and it was a privilege to show off the waters where I grew up! I hope you all enjoy this!

great video! I recognize some of your fishing locations.

I talk to Kelly Cunningham sometimes and he says that you and his daughter will be getting married next year. Congrats! It sounds like your fly fishing business is doing well. Miss not seeing you stopping by Kelly's house across the street from me.

Roger

Shad

Life of the Party
Great video! The cutthroat chase and eat is sweet!

Turns out we live in a pretty amazing place. One of these days, I need to get a boat so I can enjoy it more (South Sound beach access is very limited and only becoming more so). Nothing fancy; just a basic casting platform with enough power to be safe out there....

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
great video! I recognize some of your fishing locations.

I talk to Kelly Cunningham sometimes and he says that you and his daughter will be getting married next year. Congrats! It sounds like your fly fishing business is doing well. Miss not seeing you stopping by Kelly's house across the street from me.

Roger
Roger, Im sure you do recognize them seen you at several for sure! I miss not living right there and definitely miss our conversations! I am marrying Kelly's daughter this coming summer and I cant wait! Cutthroat fishing down here in SW Washington is absolutely wild in the rivers! I will likely do a video with Todd on it hes become a good friend!

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Roger, Im sure you do recognize them seen you at several for sure! I miss not living right there and definitely miss our conversations! Cutthroat fishing down here in SW Washington is absolutely wild in the rivers! I will likely do a video with Todd on it hes become a good friend!
Great video! The cutthroat chase and eat is sweet!

Turns out we live in a pretty amazing place. One of these days, I need to get a boat so I can enjoy it more (South Sound beach access is very limited and only becoming more so). Nothing fancy; just a basic casting platform with enough power to be safe out there....
That is for sure! A boat is a game changer. Thankfully growing up there I have access to nearly everyone of my favorite beaches from shore too. I used to shamelessly knock on everyones door and ask! Some have recently changed hands though but a lot of times people are great. Especially when I show up with a halibut fillet haha

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Two years ago I had the pleasure of taking my good friend Todd Moen out to fish on Puget Sound. He has made some of the best fly fishing films there is and it was a privilege to show off the waters where I grew up! I hope you all enjoy this!

I loved this video! What boat do you have? I noticed it was a jetsled, it looks exactly like something I would want one day

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

This is one of my favorites from Todd. Great representation of our Puget Sound fishery Josh. Go Zags!

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I loved this video! What boat do you have? I noticed it was a jetsled, it looks exactly like something I would want one day
Lowe, welded with Yamaha jet! I would argue that this is far better to fish from than my friends expensive Boston whaler when it comes to fishing certain beaches that I really like! Might not be as pretty though but is way cheaper haha

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Lowe, welded with Yamaha jet! I would argue that this is far better to fish from than my friends expensive Boston whaler when it comes to fishing certain beaches that I really like! Might not be as pretty though but is way cheaper haha
I really enjoyed watching the video, keep the forum posted for any new Phillips/Moen videos. Your boat with its open floor from tiller to bow makes a lot of sense for a fly fishing platform.

holtad

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Can you put a trolling motor on the bow of that? I love the idea of a sled style boat for solo or duo missions

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Wow what an outstanding video! Congrats to both you and Todd!

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
I'm also intrigued by the peach colored jiggy ghost shrimp pattern you briefly showed being tied in the video... I looked on your website but didn't see it for sale. Is it a pattern you might share with us here or on the tying page? thanks!

NM - I think I found it on YT... :)

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I'm also intrigued by the peach colored jiggy ghost shrimp pattern you briefly showed being tied in the video... I looked on your website but didn't see it for sale. Is it a pattern you might share with us here or on the tying page? thanks!

NM - I think I found it on YT... :)

I think he was fishing an articulated jig fly in the video. Didn't he mention it? Looked pretty similar to that, though.

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
I believe it's this one:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I believe it's this one:

He writes: "This fly will bounce over oyster shells and nets and shoot along the bottom like a shrimp, pulsing upwards with every strip!"

Those nets, man, fishing from a boat with a normal fly pattern it's almost like those areas are off limits as those oyster nets grab flies and don't ever give them up. A pattern that avoids that would be pretty sweet...