Float Tube Storage

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
My first float tube (Fish Cat 4 LCS) is on the way and I need some storage ideas. If I have to fully deflate it, dry it out, fold it up and put it in a bag, I probably won't use it very often. I would like to store it with as much air in it as possible, while still having it fit in the trunk of my car. Question time...

Is there any reason one should not store a float tube partially inflated, indefinitely?

I see there is a strap, on the underside. Using that to hook it onto the garage wall is probably the easiest solution. Is it safe to assume that strap can be used for long term storage, holding up the full weight of the float tube?

Has anyone used a pulley system, on the ceiling of their garage? Everything I have found assumes the item being hung is fairly narrow (bikes, kayaks, etc). It seems to me that a float tube would need 3 or 4 anchoring points, in order to keep it level. The best solution I can think of is to make one or two spreader bars, out of aluminum. It would be a lot easier to simply hang the whole thing off a hook, though.

float-tube-bottom.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Cool. Due to space mine hangs vertically when not in use. The boat just barely touches the floor. I just let out enough air to make it soft, but hold it's shape. Each side takes about a dozen k pumps and ready to go.
20230828_194636.jpg

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I was concerned about hanging the float tube so it sits on the cover of the drift boat in the back of the boat shed. Also leave it partially inflated.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
You're good storing it partially inflated. That's the ideal way to store inflatables.
Not familiar with that particular tube, but...there's a strap, if it's not strong enough to hold the weight of the boat you have bigger problems. I'd say you've got it figured out. KISS method man, KISS method.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I hang mine in the garage partially inflated. Having said that, I actually empty it a lot to transport as I’m often fishing with someone else, but I have the Ryobi air station. I have to open the valve to inflate but it takes about 2 minutes to mostly fill it, then finish it off with a pump. So storing it deflated would not be a deal breaker for me.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
My first float tube (Fish Cat 4 LCS) is on the way and I need some storage ideas. If I have to fully deflate it, dry it out, fold it up and put it in a bag, I probably won't use it very often. I would like to store it with as much air in it as possible, while still having it fit in the trunk of my car. Question time...

Is there any reason one should not store a float tube partially inflated, indefinitely?

I see there is a strap, on the underside. Using that to hook it onto the garage wall is probably the easiest solution. Is it safe to assume that strap can be used for long term storage, holding up the full weight of the float tube?

Has anyone used a pulley system, on the ceiling of their garage? Everything I have found assumes the item being hung is fairly narrow (bikes, kayaks, etc). It seems to me that a float tube would need 3 or 4 anchoring points, in order to keep it level. The best solution I can think of is to make one or two spreader bars, out of aluminum. It would be a lot easier to simply hang the whole thing off a hook, though.

View attachment 79944
I used to hang my Stealth Pro on the garage wall, partially inflated. Worked great and made it easy to dry it between trips and stuff it in the car again.

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
1693326472685.png

The first thing you should do is get one of these flextail pumps, they take~ 3-4 minutes to inflate my Clearwater (with one on each valve). Then it just takes a few seconds of the hand pump to get it nice and firm. I like the deflate it and put it in a big plastic box, which keeps the water/mud/dirt contained and not all over my car.