Float tube Rods

T

Tombraider

I want a rod longer than 9ft for my tube. Looking at the Redington striker V.2 and the Echo Shadow II. Both made for Nymphing but the Echo is said to be good for Chroni fishing Dry and small streamers too. I've looked at ever video I can find on both rods.

So, what are you all using in a tube, raft, where you butt is on the water. $60 between these 2 rods and that's my budget.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
whelp, I have the Striker 10'6" 3wt. It's an extremely versatile trout stick. If I fished stillwaters for trout, that would probably be the first rod I'd grab. If I had to fish one rod for trout out of my float tube, it would probably be it. It's a fantastic bobber rod that fights fish far above it's weight class (I've put no less than a half dozen summer steelhead by-catch on it as well). Back when I was looking for this type of versatile euro rod, I was actually torn between the Echo and this, but ultimately went this direction (partially in part because of a review by Red's where he talked about it being one of the toughest Euro rods he's used---sold)....still bends nicely on little fish too.

T

Tombraider

Wish the Lago came in a #4, have to order a ? Tomorrow.

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just wondering if anyone has experience w both the Echo Stillwater and Echo Lago. Is the 200 buck price difference in the quality of the graphite, guides, cork, etc? Or is the Stillwater a big design improvement. Am leaning toward the Lago but curious if anyone has fished both. My intent is to upgrade a shortish Sage rod that will make my lake fishing (esp chironomid fishing) more efficient and enjoyable. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I must be a contrarian. I use an 8 foot 5/6 wt Steffen Bros fiberglass for throwing indicators and some 9 foot 5 and 6 weights for sinking lines. I find the 10 footers cumbersome to use all day. I like the softer fiberglass for throwing the open loops required with indicator setups.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
Just wondering if anyone has experience w both the Echo Stillwater and Echo Lago. Is the 200 buck price difference in the quality of the graphite, guides, cork, etc? Or is the Stillwater a big design improvement. Am leaning toward the Lago but curious if anyone has fished both. My intent is to upgrade a shortish Sage rod that will make my lake fishing (esp chironomid fishing) more efficient and enjoyable. Thanks in advance for any advice.

No experience here, but I considered buying one or the other. The Stillwater is much lighter and has the adjustable weight system. It's a "competition level" stillwater rod. From memory, Norm Maktima was involved in their development.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
No experience here, but I considered buying one or the other. The Stillwater is much lighter and has the adjustable weight system. It's a "competition level" stillwater rod. From memory, Norm Maktima was involved in their development.
I have the 10' 6wt Stillwater as my normal indicator rod, and like it a lot. It's rated as more powerful than the Lago (which I have not fished), and has the weight management system and a nice removable fighting butt. I had indicated to @Tombraider I had not used my Echo carbon xl for this type of indicator fishing. Really I need more rod for the 2 fly rigs and a leech under the float I fish often. It's a bit much for the average stocker, but anything bigger and it's nice to have the muscle. My other float rod is the 9' 5wt clearwater for smaller fish and shorter casts. I use a 9' 6wt for sinking lines.

Last edited:

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
If you're planning to do some euro nymphing, I think those rods are very versatile and a good choice. I would steer you more toward the 10ft 3wt Echo Carbon XL, though.

If you're not likely to do much euro nymphing, the 10ft 4wt Echo Carbon XL would be a better choice.

If you're not likely to do any euro nymphing, I suggest just buying a regular 10ft 5-6wt lake rod.

Last edited:

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I built out a No.Fork Composite FAF blank, 10ft, 6# for casting from a tube. It really makes a difference, being 10ft long, when casting an indicator rig. I started off with a Fenwick glass 8ft 6in, 6# rod using sinking line and think it's fine for that task. But for throwing an indicator, the longer 10ft rod works best. If I was to buy a factory rod the Echo rods would be the choice.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I like 10’ rods for long 20+’ indicator leaders…but not casting from a tube. From a tube I fish 9’ rods and just drop everything over the side and kick away a couple of rod lengths for deep presentations. Or hang a full sink line straight down off the end of the rod. For me, It’s not worth the tangles and frustration to cast that much leader without the benefit of standing up above water line.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I built out a No.Fork Composite FAF blank, 10ft, 6# for casting from a tube. It really makes a difference, being 10ft long, when casting an indicator rig. I started off with a Fenwick glass 8ft 6in, 6# rod using sinking line and think it's fine for that task. But for throwing an indicator, the longer 10ft rod works best. If I was to buy a factory rod the Echo rods would be the choice.
Forgot to mention: For fun I took my 11ft 8# switchrod out to try with indicators. It worked great. Long handle got in the way and being the equivalent of a 10# singlehand rod, was a bit much. But I could see using a lighter switchrod with a shorter butt grip, as a fine way to go. Casting two handed simplified it all for me..