Float tube nets

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
I'm worried about breaking my rod tip trying to land a nice fish with my 10ft lake rod. How long of a net do you all use? I had to choke up my rod the other day to get one close enough to net. Not good.

Edit: Any preferences by brand. >$100

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
My net is 35" long with a 12"X22" basket. It works really well in the tube. It's a Fisknat Spring Ridge wood, so not super light, and over $100, but I really enjoy it as it's just a nice piece of kit. Plenty of reach for the canoe too.

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
There's a free Brodin Gallatin Ghost along the road at Blue/Oroville if you want to look for it. Otherwise those come in any length and are worth the few extra if you plan to use often and for a long time. I've owned maybe a half dozen over the years and will continue to buy more.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Whatever you buy, look at the bag depth.
Nets with shallow bags like 9” deep are like a trampoline with trout bouncing out of them.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
I’d recommend a Frabil Floating Net, they’re quality, good depth and use small hole rubber mesh (not the big open clear rubber holes).

17x22 or 19x25 are my favorites, handles are both 8” additionally. I like this length for tubes as it’s not cumbersome when behind me.

$40-45

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Whatever you buy, look at the bag depth.
Nets with shallow bags like 9” deep are like a trampoline with trout bouncing out of them.
SF
I’ll take a narrow net with a deep bag over a wide net with a shallow bag any day and twice on Sunday. Also, maybe it’s just me but in my float tube I find I don’t need a long handle since I’m right there. It’s not like leaning out of a high side drift boat. If you have space for a long handle, go for it, it is a definite advantage but I go pretty minimalist in my tube which includes carrying a small but deep bag good trout sized net that I also use when wading (and I feel a net outweighs the inconvenience of carrying it).

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use several depending on the fish size where I plan to go.
1) Is this Frabill w/rubber basket. https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-...ccessories/fishing-nets/frabill-rubber-trout- net/p/1028043

2) Is the Measure Net w/rubber basket. I don't care for the original fine meshed model as hooks tend to get hooked in it and I think it's harder on the fish judging by the amount of slime left in the net.

3) For larger fish I use a less expensive wood net with rubber basket similar to this. Hooks rarely get caught in it and it floats.
https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-...MocyoGHIVu-8p-AgzctdG1Ngzk9JA2cBoC2FsQAvD_BwE

Well, thanks alot...you just cost me 40$ for another wood net.:(:ROFLMAO:
Seriously, I keep my jet boat covered and everything is inside except a net that does double duty. Long story short, I won't be short a net in the boat anymore.
Another thought that I'll throw out is that it seems to me that pictures of fish in the net show their colors better with the 'clear' net basket.

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I use several depending on the fish size where I plan to go.
1) Is this Frabill w/rubber basket. https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-...ccessories/fishing-nets/frabill-rubber-trout- net/p/1028043

2) Is the Measure Net w/rubber basket. I don't care for the original fine meshed model as hooks tend to get hooked in it and I think it's harder on the fish judging by the amount of slime left in the net.

3) For larger fish I use a less expensive wood net with rubber basket similar to this. Hooks rarely get caught in it and it floats.
https://www.sportsmans.com/fishing-...MocyoGHIVu-8p-AgzctdG1Ngzk9JA2cBoC2FsQAvD_BwE

Well, thanks alot...you just cost me 40$ for another wood net.:(:ROFLMAO:
Seriously, I keep my jet boat covered and everything is inside except a net that does double duty. Long story short, I won't be short a net in the boat anymore.
Another thought that I'll throw out is that it seems to me that pictures of fish in the net show their colors better with the 'clear' net basket.
Dean, I suppose you have a purse in every color and shoes to match! 😃

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Dean, I suppose you have a purse in every color and shoes to match! 😃
Actually, more of an old mind. :(
A couple of weeks ago I spooled up backing and a new DT line on a new reel and tied up some special flies to experiment on a Cuttie stream.
I had all of it my gear bag but my brother in law wanted to see it. When I got done I put it on a shelf in my tying room and that's where it still was when I excitedly opened up my gear bag at the stream. On the plus side, it gave me an excuse to go back.:ROFLMAO:

I use a medium "mesure net" with my 10 ft rod from my float tube. It seemed awkward at first, but with some attention to what was going on, it became easy peasy..even with a 24 inch Brown.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have the telescoping large Measure Net with rubberized bag. I love it except for one drawback. If you take a photo of a fish in the net you have to be truthful about its size if you put up a brag post because everybody can see the measure marks in the net!

If you're old with multiple rotator cuff tears the extended long handle makes it easier to reach back and grab the net when you need it.