Float Tube Booties

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I need some booties for float tubing.

I started out many years ago with some rather inexpensive Orvis booties to use with (1st gen) Force Fins. The Orvis booties had a flexible sole with no real support. Kicking around for a couple of hours in a float tube gave me excruciating cramps in my feet at the arch. I found an article about Seasoft Stealth 6mm titanium foil lined dive boots that are designed for carrying heavy two-tank loads up and down stairs or over rocks and found some at a local dive shop. I tried them on with waders and found they do have plenty of support and provided instant elimination of the cramps. However as I have aged of the years my foot shape has changed, and the booties are getting tight at the 1st metatarsal; the side of the ball of the foot.

Are there any 3mm neoprene booties out there in a wide width with rigid soles and arch support?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Well, if anyone pipes up with something that works, I'll follow along too. Right now, I'm using my old (like, over 10 years old--probably close to 15) pair of Patagonia wading boots that have been about to separate at the seams for the last 5 years. They're light, comfy as hell and work really well...but their time is coming close to an end.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I'll follow too, as I'm using ancient llbean boots since they fit those caddis fins better than my other boots and are coming apart.
I went to sportsman's when the bucks bags fins were 39.99 but they were out and have not had them in since, so I'm actually looking whole system.

Zak

Legend
Well, if anyone pipes up with something that works, I'll follow along too. Right now, I'm using my old (like, over 10 years old--probably close to 15) pair of Patagonia wading boots that have been about to separate at the seams for the last 5 years. They're light, comfy as hell and work really well...but their time is coming close to an end.
Maybe bring them to a Patagonia store? I walked into the Seattle Patagonia store with my blown out 10 year old Riverwalkers and walked out with PataDanners, no charge. Great warranty!

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
I have wide feet and have sought out booties for wider feet. I struggled along the lake trying to fit my feet in. Finally I stopped zipping them up and jerry rigged some clip on ankle straps to keep the booties from falling off.

RichS

Life of the Party
I bought my current booties about three years ago in a dive shop. They had about 15 choices and I found a pair that has worked perfectly. That is already two years longer than the pair of Sims flats boots I had previously used.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Maybe bring them to a Patagonia store? I walked into the Seattle Patagonia store with my blown out 10 year old Riverwalkers and walked out with PataDanners, no charge. Great warranty!
no judgement, but I can't in good conscience do that with the use and abuse I've put mine through. Besides, they're not quite dead yet...

Zak

Legend
no judgement, but I can't in good conscience do that with the use and abuse I've put mine through. Besides, they're not quite dead yet...
I felt OK about it because my Riverwalkers were the stealth rubber sole and I fell so many times on slippery rocks, once badly injuring my knee. Plus, they blew out in the sides of toe boxes; not normal wear and tear like the sole delaminating.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I felt OK about it because my Riverwalkers were the stealth rubber sole and I fell so many times on slippery rocks, once badly injuring my knee. Plus, they blew out in the sides of toe boxes; not normal wear and tear like the sole delaminating.
I could see that....lol..."damn you and your 'stealth' soles!!!!"

Reactions: Zak

Wareagle

Ducks and Trout
knott Creek from The Fly Shop. I have wide feet, and these are great boots for me. I wear a size 12.5 shoe and bought size 14

Trout Trekker

Steelhead
Are there any 3mm neoprene booties out there in a wide width with rigid soles and arch support?
If there are, they've remained a mystery to me.

I've had James Scott, Streamline, Patagucci, Simms, Cabela's and a few others over the decades that don't come to mind and like you my feet are not the same as they were at the beginning of the game. They've grown longer and wider over the decades - wish I could say the same for other appendages, but that's probably too much information.

I've got size 13 - 4E's. About two months ago I decided it was time to try to find a new bootie that would give me some relief from the cramped pair that I've been using for the last few years. What I ended up going with was ( and I don't believe it myself ) the jet black ( size 13 ) Hodgman booties sold on the Bezos site. They work for me.

YMMV.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I need some booties for float tubing.

I started out many years ago with some rather inexpensive Orvis booties to use with (1st gen) Force Fins. The Orvis booties had a flexible sole with no real support. Kicking around for a couple of hours in a float tube gave me excruciating cramps in my feet at the arch. I found an article about Seasoft Stealth 6mm titanium foil lined dive boots that are designed for carrying heavy two-tank loads up and down stairs or over rocks and found some at a local dive shop. I tried them on with waders and found they do have plenty of support and provided instant elimination of the cramps. However as I have aged of the years my foot shape has changed, and the booties are getting tight at the 1st metatarsal; the side of the ball of the foot.

Do you still use the force fins? Do they accommodate booties but not wading boots?

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Do you still use the force fins? Do they accommodate booties but not wading boots?
I haven't used my Force Fins for a few years. Two pairs of Korkers; Terror Ridge, and my old Devil's Canyon do not fit into the fins. But today I dug out an ancient pair of felt soled Weinbrenner Gary Borger boots that my wife has been hounding me for at least 10 years to get rid of every time she sees them in the garage. They fit my feet over the waders; albeit snugly but comfortably, and into the Force Fins! 😁

Reactions: RCF

Brian Miller

Forum Supporter
Well, I think I have a lead on something that checks all my boxes...
wide width with rigid soles and arch support?
They come in a 3XL (Mens 13/14) so may be wider and fit better than the XXL-12s, have the same sole as the Ti-Stealth, and are 3mm.
They are mid-length but have a side zip to pull on over waders and I don't need the taller upper.
They are out of stock at the mfg though but my Borger boots should work until they are back in stock, or I find another neoprene bootie that works.

I'm putting my Stealth booties in the classifieds...

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I haven't used my Force Fins for a few years. Two pairs of Korkers; Terror Ridge, and my old Devil's Canyon do not fit into the fins. But today I dug out an ancient pair of felt soled Weinbrenner Gary Borger boots that my wife has been hounding me for at least 10 years to get rid of every time she sees them in the garage. They fit my feet over the waders; albeit snugly but comfortably, and into the Force Fins! 😁
I see.
I have some dive fins I like using, but can’t fit more than wader stocking feet + neoprene sock over those into the fins. So I’ve struggled with the best approach to hiking in a mile or two with the tube. Wader up and wear boots, but stash the boots? Or Carry those big old heavy things on the tube? Wear light sneakers and carry waders in?
6F965CF9-7AE8-4F9C-92CA-6B83581DC33A.jpeg Recently I tried this. It was just okay.

Kilchis

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've been using a pair of NRS Titanium boots for maybe 4 years. They have literally hundreds of float tubing hours on them and still look pretty much new. They were on sale for around 40 bucks plus shipping. I wear a 12, bought 14's and with waders the fit is perfect. I don't see that specific boot in the current catalog, but these are very similar. I've never regretted any NRS purchase. (NRS: Northwest River Supply)

Last edited: