Float Tube Booties

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I see.
I have some dive fins I like using, but can’t fit more than wader stocking feet + neoprene sock over those into the fins. So I’ve struggled with the best approach to hiking in a mile or two with the tube. Wader up and wear boots, but stash the boots? Or Carry those big old heavy things on the tube? Wear light sneakers and carry waders in?
View attachment 14784 Recently I tried this. It was just okay.
My 20+ year old XXL Force Fins don't fit over my size 13 wading boots, I use the Knott Creek booties noted above for that reason.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Legit question (I'm fairly new to float tubing), is it common to use booties when in a float tube? I've just always used an old pair of felt sole boots I have kicking around. That said, they are starting to die and I need to figure out what to use next (my river fishing boots have studs).

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Legit question (I'm fairly new to float tubing), is it common to use booties when in a float tube? I've just always used an old pair of felt sole boots I have kicking around. That said, they are starting to die and I need to figure out what to use next (my river fishing boots have studs).

Booties protect your waders and make it easier to walk in places with your tube.
Also lighter then wading boots.
I recommended wearing wading boots when tubing if you are looking for a good quad workout. ;)
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I have. Wading boots are cumbersome. I bought a pair of hodgeman booties + 2 sizes up (Im a 10.5 so bought 12 to allow for socks/wader foot stocking) from Eds Sportsman Surplus in Lynnwood (no longer in business) ... easy to on/off flippers too. I would not want to hike far in them tho.

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter
You will find that after hours of kicking in your float tube, the lighter booties make it easier to kick. I used felt soled boots for about 4 years before I switched to booties many years ago.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Interesting! Good info. Thanks folks.

And the booties don't get chewed up by the heel strap of the fins?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I bought these boots, mainly for salty beaches but also for tubing, and am happy with them. I think @Stonedfish recommended them back on the old site.
how much did you have to size up to fit wader booties inside? 2?

I actually have a pair of something similar, but they're far too narrow for use with waders. I tried it once musky fishing a couple of years ago and ended up with foot cramps after a couple of hours.

Zak

Legend
how much did you have to size up to fit wader booties inside? 2?

I actually have a pair of something similar, but they're far too narrow for use with waders. I tried it once musky fishing a couple of years ago and ended up with foot cramps after a couple of hours.
I sized up one size (from 10 to 11). The boots fit well with thick socks and neoprene stocking feet, except that the top of the boot zipper is hard to close. That hasn't been a real problem; the zipper stays up even if not zipped to the top. The things I like about these boots are:
  • no metal to corrode
  • very light
  • warm
  • the sole is sturdy and thick enough that it protects the bottom of my feet from rock bruises. But, the sole is kind of slippery on slick rocks/seaweed. That last is probably true of anything but felt or studs, though.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
I sized up one size (from 10 to 11). The boots fit well with thick socks and neoprene stocking feet, except that the top of the boot zipper is hard to close. That hasn't been a real problem; the zipper stays up even if not zipped to the top. The things I like about these boots are:
  • no metal to corrode
  • very light
  • warm
  • the sole is sturdy and thick enough that it protects the bottom of my feet from rock bruises. But, the sole is kind of slippery on slick rocks/seaweed. That last is probably true of anything but felt or studs, though.
nice! is there still enough room to wiggle your toes a little bit? I really like the looks of those

Zak

Legend
nice! is there still enough room to wiggle your toes a little bit? I really like the looks of those
Yes, the toe box is plenty big for me, and the Amazon reviews talk about them running large. The Amazon reviews also talk about a poor return policy, FYI.

Edit: I have multiple sets of fins and these boots don't work well with the diver-type fins. The toe box is too big to easily slide into the enclosed rubber box on those diving fins.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Interesting! Good info. Thanks folks.

Lots of good info on this thread - not all booties are created equal. My Simms flats booties were recommended by a shop in a canyon. The heel straps on my fins ate through the Simms booties in less than two years (20 outings a year). The Simms booties are buried in Ephrata's landfill. Knott Creek going on three years, well built, no issues from the straps. The bottoms are comfortable even when hiking my tube in over fractured basalt.

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I use Force Fins. When I need new booties in extra large size, I found them at Underwater Sports on Aurora here in Seattle. You might check your local dive shop. If not in stock you should be able to order the desired size. But, there might be some COVID related shipping delay I suppose.

Triggw

Steelhead
First time I used a float tube the wind came up and blew me to the other end of the lake. Had to get out and walk around through the rocks. Glad I was wearing real boots. Have ever since.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Booties protect your waders and make it easier to walk in places with your tube.
Also lighter then wading boots.
I recommended wearing wading boots when tubing if you are looking for a good quad workout. ;)
SF
+1
I went out today using my felt soled Borger boots with the Force Fins. They worked OK but it's not the solution; the soles will wear too quickly and traction on dry ground is lacking. My hamstrings also got quite a workout so I'm glad I've been doing exercise ball hamstring curls on leg day every week. Then took the pooch for a brisk two mile walk when I got home.

I did stop by a local dive shop on the way home and tried on a pair of these in size 13. They have a pronunced arch and raised heel like the Seasoft boots but are $40 cheaper.

My waders were still wet so I tried them on with both of the merino hiking socks I wore under my waders.
I have. Wading boots are cumbersome. I bought a pair of hodgeman booties + 2 sizes up (Im a 10.5 so bought 12 to allow for socks/wader foot stocking) from Eds Sportsman Surplus in Lynnwood (no longer in business) ... easy to on/off flippers too. I would not want to hike far in them tho.
I did an A/B of the fit with my Stealth boots, as well as overlaying the different boots sole to sole. Sizing up +2 from street shoes made a huge difference. I'm going back in a couple of days after my waders have dried out. Dive boots with supportive soles and arch supports allow me to hike in a ways. I'm waiting to hear back if they want to consign my Seasoft boots.

Most of the good dive boots I've seen have a hard rubber reinforcement up the back of the heel.

Reactions: Zak

Dloy

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Been a few years but your experience sounds like mine. Think I ended up with size 13 (possibly 14) booties and I have a size 12 or so foot. They still fit in the fins ok, and have enough of a pliable rubber sole that I can walk around not feeling like I’m dancing on felt. They should last quite a while. My last pair (also dive boots but more of a carpet sole) lasted quite awhile, and these are certainly more robust.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have the Caddis booties and the backs are reinforced as well. Been using them for a year and they are holding up well.