Five stages of fishing

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
The journey IS the destination.
The journey of discovery with fishing, especially fly fishing, is one of my main suitable substitutes. I start each day at step one, I'm an alcoholic. I know that if I stay clean I can go fishing, which is enough. After that I'm on the ladder.

Last edited:

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
Casting competitions have never appealed to me in the least, but I can appreciate that people enjoy doing that sort of stuff. Just isn't for me.

Distance casting on a pond is impressive for sure, but I'm much more interested in real world fishing casting skill. I'm far more impressed with someone who can change direction while in the middle of a 70' cast and get a fly on target when that fish jumps in a completley different direction. Or make a goofy off shoulder cast into the wind because that is the only way to get a fly into that rip that is between us and shore.

I remember salmon fishing with @Irafly one day over the summer. He was casting port side of the boat when a fish showed on starboard. I just hollered "drop your back cast" and without hesitation he let go of his line and nailed a perfect cast to the fish on his back cast. To me that sort of skill/experience is what impresses me the most.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
I can't really agree with the steps. I found "method" important long before anything else. In fact, I started out spin fishing as a kid and really didn't care for it. I only started to like fishing when I started using fly gear.

Plus, I'm 72 and go fishing to catch fish ... not just to go fishing. I'm odd that way.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
and go fishing to catch fish ...
Me too. But the the other day when the otters were in the run I was watching them and really wished I had a nice camera to sneak in and get some good shots, more than fish there. I see the draw in, and enjoy, peoples bird photos.

Zoran

Steelhead
I believe it is absolutely normal to call those people dumb. It is how we often define people around us. Last summer I wanted to catch fish in one lake with my light trout spey and guy in belly boat came all the way from 200ft to tell me it is pretty dumb way to fish lake. I agreed but I kind of like to try.

Since then I have few rods with me and if no one is around I try what I like to do. If someone is around then I pull out rod most of them using. It is embarrassing when you do something others don't like.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I believe it is absolutely normal to call those people dumb. It is how we often define people around us. Last summer I wanted to catch fish in one lake with my light trout spey and guy in belly boat came all the way from 200ft to tell me it is pretty dumb way to fish lake. I agreed but I kind of like to try.

Since then I have few rods with me and if no one is around I try what I like to do. If someone is around then I pull out rod most of them using. It is embarrassing when you do something others don't like.
That's funny. I'm thinking of using my 10' 3wt. Carbon XL for dippin' (Euronymphing:)) crappie in the brushpiles when I can get in the lake. I want to catch crappie like Steve, and it might work. Edit: and vertical chironomid presentations:unsure:

Last edited:

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
The problem is that they are quite mingled especially the "master" stage. And that stage is utterly dumb anyways. I actually feel sorry for guys who say the just want to go fishing and don't care about catching anything. I get you can enjoy a day on the water without catching the fish. Lord knows I do it all the time. LOL BUT I still want to catch fish badly. If I didn't then what is the point of going? I can enjoy being in nature of whatever you want to call it in cheaper ways than fishing!!

I also think all the “masters” out there should do us a favor and leave productive water to the rest of us. I know of some beautiful but unproductive rivers, lakes and beaches where they can wet a line.

See what you see.

Do what you do.

Be what you be.

In the end, it makes no damn difference to me….

Unless of course you don’t really care about catching fish, yet your parked in my favorite coho rip not casting through the best part of the tide exchange. Then see what you see, do what you do, be what you be…50 yards further down the beach.

Otter

Steelhead
Categorizing and judging, either yourself or others, has nothing to do with my fishing. I just fish.
And who the hell is a "master" at anything, let alone fishing? There is no such thing.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
If you used eggs, herring, worms etc, while fishing, you could consider yourself a masterbaiter.
SF

John Svahn

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What stage does the 'I'd love to catch lots of big fish but Im going to continue to fish this fly even though it isn't working, because I had fun tying it/if I tie on another fly I have to add new tippet and I don't feel like doing that/left my glasses at home and can't tie on another fly/this fly looks cool in the water and should work but these just fish don't get it', type of angler reside? Asking for a friend of course!

RCF

Life of the Party
What stage does the 'I'm going to continue to fish this fly even though it isn't working because I had fun tying it/if I tie on another fly I have to add new tippet and I don't feel like doing that/left my glasses at home and can't tie on another fly/this fly looks cool in the water and should work but these just fish don't get it' type of angler reside? Asking for a friend of course!

You sound like the perfectly normal fisherman to me - just like a friend of mine, too

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
What stage does the 'I'm going to continue to fish this fly even though it isn't working because I had fun tying it/if I tie on another fly I have to add new tippet and I don't feel like doing that/left my glasses at home and can't tie on another fly/this fly looks cool in the water and should work but these just fish don't get it' type of angler reside? Asking for a friend of course!
That would be the 'I like fishing' stage...

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
1707440325327.png
;)

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Casting competitions have never appealed to me in the least, but I can appreciate that people enjoy doing that sort of stuff. Just isn't for me.

Distance casting on a pond is impressive for sure, but I'm much more interested in real world fishing casting skill. I'm far more impressed with someone who can change direction while in the middle of a 70' cast and get a fly on target when that fish jumps in a completley different direction. Or make a goofy off shoulder cast into the wind because that is the only way to get a fly into that rip that is between us and shore.

I remember salmon fishing with @Irafly one day over the summer. He was casting port side of the boat when a fish showed on starboard. I just hollered "drop your back cast" and without hesitation he let go of his line and nailed a perfect cast to the fish on his back cast. To me that sort of skill/experience is what impresses me the most.
Blind acorn catching the squirrel, or something like that.

I thought you were going to mention the stage where it is all about the smallest fish. That’s where I’m often at.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
I thought you were going to mention the stage where it is all about the smallest fish. That’s where I’m often at.
I seem to remember you not taking many images, then all of a sudden "I need a picture of this one".

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Personally, I can be at any one of those stages depending on the day and depending on the fishery.
It should be noted that I'm not always limited to just those stages....like when I bite off a little too much of my edible or drink one too many of the beers in my pack....that's when things really get interesting.