Five stages of fishing

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
So...these are all stages of fishing 'attainment'? Fuck it. Been fishing for about 68 years, and none of this compartmentalism bullshit means a goddamn thing.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
I believe it is absolutely normal to call those people dumb. It is how we often define people around us. Last summer I wanted to catch fish in one lake with my light trout spey and guy in belly boat came all the way from 200ft to tell me it is pretty dumb way to fish lake. I agreed but I kind of like to try.

Since then I have few rods with me and if no one is around I try what I like to do. If someone is around then I pull out rod most of them using. It is embarrassing when you do something others don't like.
My .02 = do what you like. I have 0 fucks to give for other's opinions. I've spent summers/falls fishing skaters because I was fascinated with all the techniques (scoppering, holding a skating fly over a lie, etc) and liked the visual aspect of it. Then one winter I got hooked on swinging spoons with my Pin rod. I also fish a switch rod off the beach for Silvers and plan to try it with deeply sunken flies in the salt this year. I like variety and trying odd things. I've gotten plenty of looks or comments - usually I just laugh.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
I don’t agree with the diagram at all. I really don’t care if I catch or not and think I never have. Although I have been catching salmon and steelhead for 30+ years now so maybe I’m just fulfilled. Ironically the only time I lost my mind and was sucked into the shit show was when I was exclusively targeting steelhead on a fly rod. I think obsessing over a method of catching should be near the bottom of the fishing evolution. So IMO, this chart was made by a fly fisherman because it supposed fly fishing is somehow this special step. It isn’t. It’s marketing. In the end though, I spend most of my time in an office working, so any time on the water is a luxury.

For me, I have always been a fish nerd. I had 7 aquariums at one time 20 years ago. I just love fish and seeing them closely. Every one is different! They are amazing creatures to me.

Last summer, my favorite fishery was catching panfish and perch with my 3 year old son and filling up a (water filled) bucket with the fish so that my son could admire them and release them when he was done. It was lovely.

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

😁😅😆🤣😁

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
I just want to catch fish.
I want to catch lots of fish.
I want to catch lots of big fish.
I don't care what species I catch.
I don't care what method I use to catch lots of big fish of any species.
I just like to fish.

Last edited:

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

😁😅😆🤣😁

The older I get, the more I appreciate Shakespeare. When we read him in high school I was too young and dumb to get it. I’m still pretty dumb, but at least I am smart enough to know that men like Shakespeare only come along maybe once every 500 years. How could someone understand humans so well in just a single lifetime? He had the observance of a God, as if he had lived countless lifetimes. One of the most extraordinary humans ever.

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I don’t ever think I’ll get to master. It’s stuck in my head that I have to catch fish. Sometimes it’s the numbers, some times the size, some times the method,… but I like to catch fish.

My dad, on the other hand, just enjoyed the fishing…. He was the Master.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Ha! Yep smallest is for bragging rights!
1707487210705.png
edited to add, we've got nothin' on these folks though...

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I remember salmon fishing with @Irafly one day over the summer. He was casting port side of the boat when a fish showed on starboard. I just hollered "drop your back cast" and without hesitation he let go of his line and nailed a perfect cast to the fish on his back cast. To me that sort of skill/experience is what impresses me the most.
Having spent the last three summers targeting large Browns three inches from the bank from a moving boat with giant bushy salmon flies for a three second drag free drift, I have a new appreciation for skills.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
View attachment 102694
edited to add, we've got nothin' on these folks though...
That’s actually a big shiner there! Very healthy specimen!

I may or may not have been tempted to file down some hooks. I do have some 9X

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
That’s actually a big shiner there! Very healthy specimen!

I may or may not have been tempted to file down some hooks. I do have some 9X
How do you prevent pithing the little things? Or do you ikejime and release?