Fisherman goes over with ahi in Kona

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
That’s a crazy story. The mental clarity to put yourself in free spool and also manage the reel so a backlash didn’t occur while being pulled to the depths by a 350 lb tuna is impressive. That guy missed his calling as a Navy Seal…or a deep cover CIA operative.

And he landed the fish. Insane.

Yeah no kidding! I first met John my first season of deckhanding. Him and his son came out on a bottomfish trip. While fishing Rockfish I ended up free netting a 47" ling that had grabbed onto his Rockfish and rode all the way up. Just as I was about to try to scoop it it let go. I reached with the net as it turned to swim down and got insanely lucky and got it. We became friends right then and there, and have grown to be close over the years.

That first day he told a lot of fishing stories from when he was younger, including the story of him going over. At first I thought he was just kind of a blow hard braggert type, but it was never that. He just loved talking fishing. That night we googled his story and found it was all true, including going on the talk show circuit afterward. Hearing the story from his mouth was something else. He very vividly remembers every detail even after being under water. To have that sort of calm and awareness of the situation in the face of total disaster is impressive to say the least. I'm not so sure I'd be able to calmly think to back the drag down instead of just putting it in free spool. He said he knew if he just free spooled it would backlash and he would be fucked. Crazy.

John has some of the most amazing fishing stories I've ever heard. He recently moved back to North Carolina. One of these years I'm going to make a trip back there and join him on his boat to target bluefin. He frequently sends me pictures to try to motivate me to make the trip lol

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This is one of those cases where I know it's sad. But seriously though a warriors death. You always hear of people going doing what they love and generally it's too soon but there's a part of me that sees this obituary as one hell of a punctuation mark on the end of hopefully a life well lived. Truly the fish or a lifetime. There is a certain beauty and honour to that. None of the above is an attempt to diminish the tragedy but they're are worse ways to go to be certain.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
This is one of those cases where I know it's sad. But seriously though a warriors death. You always hear of people going doing what they love and generally it's too soon but there's a part of me that sees this obituary as one hell of a punctuation mark on the end of hopefully a life well lived. Truly the fish or a lifetime. There is a certain beauty and honour to that. None of the above is an attempt to diminish the tragedy but they're are worse ways to go to be certain.
You articulated very well a sentiment i too felt and struggled to respectfully convey. Thanks for that and I agree, beats a hospital any day.

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Drowning has to be one of the worst ways to die. Maybe they get lucky and black out at a certain depth. At least give me hypothermia and fall asleep rather than gasp for a last breath.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Drowning has to be one of the worst ways to die. Maybe they get lucky and black out at a certain depth. At least give me hypothermia and fall asleep rather than gasp for a last breath.
They say it's pretty hallucinatory, though, so you go out tripping balls, at least.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
The ocean is a wild place and Hawaii residents who venture out see it all the time. While I was visiting last month I read an account of a 60-something year old man who was out for his nightly swim (400+ yards off shore) when he was attacked by a large tiger shark. Dude stabbed it in the head with his dive knife and made it back to shore and hospital for a bunch of stitches in his hip and abdomen. Tough!!

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The ocean is a wild place and Hawaii residents who venture out see it all the time. While I was visiting last month I read an account of a 60-something year old man who was out for his nightly swim (400+ yards off shore) when he was attacked by a large tiger shark. Dude stabbed it in the head with his dive knife and made it back to shore and hospital for a bunch of stitches in his hip and abdomen. Tough!!
Guy must have really been an REM fan.

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Who says that, Kevin Bacon and Julia Roberts? :ROFLMAO:

I've gotten tangled up in the rigging of a capsized boat a few times and its some scary shit.

I'm with you on this one. I've been nearly drown a couple times and it's scary right to the point you basically give up. Then it chills out. I'm not sure what happens next and I don't think many people really know and say much about it. I experienced no hallucinatory vibes. None.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

I'm with you on this one. I've been nearly drown a couple times and it's scary right to the point you basically give up. Then it chills out. I'm not sure what happens next and I don't think many people really know and say much about it. I experienced no hallucinatory vibes. None.
Cool. Got any more anecdotes?

Tallguy

Steelhead
Not that it ultimately matters, but are we sure he got pulled down, or was attached to the rod? The story does say 5 am, I am thinking got separated from the boat in the dark and couldn't find each other is pretty possible. Easy on a fast tuna troll or if there was some wind. 3 miles out is a long enough swim back to shore to make it tough for most people.

Sad either way.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I had an experience where I could have drowned but it doesn't compare to the ones listed because I knew I was surrounded by trusthworthy people and safe. I jumped off a dock into the deep end of a marina without holding my breath and started to sink. I could tell that I would pass out rather quickly, but the only thought/emotion I had was one of helplessness, acceptance and peace. It was very powerful and made me think about how many forces there are that are infinitely more powerful than us. Learning to surf did the same thing for me. I'd like to think if I was ever in an actually dangerous situation I'd respond the same way, but realistically neither me nor anyone would. I sincerely hope I don't drown, but if God has ordained that I die in that way I pray it's with a massive fish at the end of my line.

Really sad situation, but if someone has to die an untimely death I suppose it's best if they die doing something they truly love. Sincere condolences to the family, rest in peace.

Otter

Steelhead
When I first went out deckhanding on a commercial salmon troller, I was told a story about a fisherman and a knife.

He was alone on his troller, and somehow an outgoing line tangled him up, and pulled him over. He was rapidly getting pulled down to Davy Jones' locker, with no deckhand to put the brakes on the gear. He had a fixed blade knife on his belt. Luckily, it wasn't a folding knife, because one of his arms was trapped in the line. With his free hand, he pulled his knife, cut the line, and made it up to the surface.

Since that time, I have never gone out in a boat without a fixed blade on my belt or on my PFD.