Fisherman goes over with ahi in Kona

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Terrible. So was he physically strapped / connected to the rod?

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I've only heard of a guy several decades ago being yanked off the boat after gaffing a marlin...he was new to big game fishing, and apparently had a small hand gaff with a lanyard...once the marlin felt the hook, he dove with the man attached...they never saw him again.

I'm wondering if the ahi fisherman was trying to pull line while reeling and somehow got the line tangled around a watch or something...

mems

Steelhead
I always have a knife in one pocket and pliers with a cutter on my belt. Don’t take wraps when leadering got to be able to dump line if the fish takes off at the boat. I have grabbed a friend that gaffed a hot ahi to keep him in the boat. I have seen guys let go of the gaff then get it back when we get the fish back in. I have also seen gaffs pop off and then float back up good to have a red handle. Terrible for the guys family but we get bad accidents here with big fish and sharp teeth.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I always have a knife in one pocket and pliers with a cutter on my belt. Don’t take wraps when leadering got to be able to dump line if the fish takes off at the boat. I have grabbed a friend that gaffed a hot ahi to keep him in the boat. I have seen guys let go of the gaff then get it back when we get the fish back in. I have also seen gaffs pop off and then float back up good to have a red handle. Terrible for the guys family but we get bad accidents here with big fish and sharp teeth.
Whenever we went offshore in my boat, the wedding ring and nice watch stays home, and the cheap Casio watch with rubber strap goes on…

When leadering, I would take a wrap with gloves on… I learned to unwrap cleanly very early on…and as I got older, rarely fished alone…and turned off the autopilot whenever a strike occurred and I approached the stern…

nwbobber

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I think it's a good idea if in a boat, to have a knife on your person that can be accessed with either hand. Lots of things can happen. Sad story, but we all have to die... I can think of worse ways.

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I realize 20 lbs of flotation in a pfd won’t counteract the fish, but it would sure help you get back up when you disconnect.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I'm not sure I want to fish for an animal that is bigger and stronger than me, and be strapped to that fish via line/rod/harness.

More power to anyone who does, I'm sure it's one hell of a thrill drug. But I'll stick to fish light enough that I can pick them up and water that is measured in feet rather than fathoms.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Can the harness not also be tied off to a cleat on the boat? If I'm tying myself to a rod I'm expecting a fish big enough to take me over and pull me under, I'm for damn sure going to be asking if I can tie that same harness off to the boat somewhere in case something terrible like this happens.

Sorry if that's a dumb question, not familiar with offshore fishing.

DoesItFloat

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Can the harness not also be tied off to a cleat on the boat? If I'm tying myself to a rod I'm expecting a fish big enough to take me over and pull me under, I'm for damn sure going to be asking if I can tie that same harness off to the boat somewhere in case something terrible like this happens.

Haven't you seen Jaws?

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

Just make sure your drag is working properly…

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I realize 20 lbs of flotation in a pfd won’t counteract the fish, but it would sure help you get back up when you disconnect.
A marlin can hit 50 mph in a power dive…by the time you disconnect, even in a matter of seconds, you could be 100’ or more underwater

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
That's an unfortunate fate, but the guy's last words were “The fish is huge." I think I'd be ok with that.
I think we were still living in Kitsap County (pre 1986ish) when I heard about a guy going out Chinook fishing one evening (maybe Deception Pass area?), he didn't come in that night. The next morning they found his boat drifting with the old guy lying next to a huge Chinook he'd boated. I'm sure he passed on with a smile on his face; not a bad way to go.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
This same thing happened to a good friend of mine years ago. Friggen scary.

Unfortunately it doesnt seem like this story ended as well. Terrible.

That’s a crazy story. The mental clarity to put yourself in free spool and also manage the reel so a backlash didn’t occur while being pulled to the depths by a 350 lb tuna is impressive. That guy missed his calling as a Navy Seal…or a deep cover CIA operative.

And he landed the fish. Insane.

Last edited: