First Fish of the Year

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I had hardly any opportunities to fish last year. Maybe once or twice sometime in August or September. Rattlesnake and Martha with fair to crappy results.

Anyway, that it had been a while, this morning was a bit chaotic gathering my gear ahead of my fishing partner showing up at 8:30. You know the routine: coffee, breakfast, hope you didn’t forget anything. Yeah, once forgot my waders several years ago.

Friend showed up, loaded gear, off we went.

So we get to the lake. Float tube inflated, tackle in place, rod rigged… Fins? WTF?! Fins!!! What to do? Check online and Cabelas doesn’t have fins in stock. I’m screwed. Maybe put waders on and wade off the boat ramp? Lake level is the highest we’ve seen in over a year. Water gets deep quick not far out.

Friend has already been ready to hit the water by then. I have an idea but afraid to say it. But, when a friend is a good friend, he often can read your mind: “I can tow you out?” Exactly! And the conditions were perfect. Only the slightest breeze present. I get my waders and boots on and drag my float tube in the water.

Over the previous nights, I tied up some flies meant for working the shallows near the banks, but that wouldn’t happen without fins. “Just tow me over the drop off halfway between the launch and the opposite shore.”

I decided to start with the new pattern I had tied up. Lots of intermediate line count downs with no returns for the next hour. Ugh! Time for a new fly: The good ol’ Carey Special.

Slow wind drifting south and then west. Two, three, and one minute count downs. Lots of nothing. Occasional few rises(!?)… More cat’s paw drifting.

Suddenly a strike!

I tell you, you know it’s been a while (too long a while) since you last fished when you spazz the strike and lose the fish on the first jump. And not too bad of a fish, too. LDR’d it.

What did I learn (other than “buck fever”)? I did note how much line was out: 15 to 20 feet of Intermediate line to fly out past the guide tip. Conclusion? Fish are holding shallow. Likely not much more than 5 feet deep. That’s about a 1 minute count down. Good.

Finally I’ve drifted too close to shore. Fishing pal is not far away, so I ask him for another tow back to where I started. He ain’t no spring chicken, been living the retired life for a few years, and his legs aren’t far from a cramp. This is a “slow bell” tow.

So we’re barely chugging along. Like, slug bait slow. I have about 25’ of line out and doing this 1” strip and release in two to three second intervals.

Maybe five minutes into this… Strike! Fish on! And I got this: 14 inches of feisty fighting rainbow brought to hand.

EA8D5A41-C604-42AE-84B0-DA13E4AC31CF.jpeg

After this, nothing else to show for or talk about other than WDFW officer W. Willette showed up while we were breaking gear down ashore. Such a nice woman. Good to see her making the rounds.

After this episode of forgetfulness, I think I ought to pack separate float tube fins for each of my inflatables. I don’t think I can handle another Foxtrot Mike like this again.

Tight Lines!
—Dave

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
That's unfortunate that you forgot your fins but glad to hear that you could count on your buddy for the tow. It's awesome to be lucky enough to have a friend like that. Congrats! That's a beautiful rainbow that I think anyone should be proud of. Thanks for the report. Way to get out there and fish!

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey, thanks! I’ve been fishing with that crusty fucker of a friend not long after I started learning how to fly fish. Funny how we managed to click shortly after I met him. A real good guy.

No, that was an average sized trout for there. I’ve caught more in the past that were much larger. That lake used to give up the trout pretty easily. And big ones, too. I recall a long ago January that surrendered five, very thick, “two-hander” Browns to me in one outing. That was back when I used to fish it once or twice a week and before its semi-recent reg change. The lake has turned stingy since then. But I could also be just rusty.

If you want easy fish, don’t go there. If you want to go to Stillwater College, then by all means do go. If you can handle steady servings of the very bitter taste of disappointment, then definitely go.

troutstalker

Born to Fish...Forced to Work
Forum Supporter
Hey, you're welcome! Haha...he sounds like a good guy. Okay, well it's a good looking bow anyway. Dang, 5 two handed browns in 1 day, that's pretty impressive. That's too bad that the fishing/catching has declined so much there. Getting out there is what really matters. With a bit of luck, may your next outing there be your best.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey, you're welcome! Haha...he sounds like a good guy. Okay, well it's a good looking bow anyway. Dang, 5 two handed browns in 1 day, that's pretty impressive. That's too bad that the fishing/catching has declined so much there. Getting out there is what really matters. With a bit of luck, may your next outing there be your best.
Hoping to go again either this Saturday or after this next week.

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Glad you were able to fish. I'm still a life-long believer in using a checklist. I have had cause to "tow" fishing partners on a couple occasions (and I keep a short tow rope in my inflatables for just that occasion). I just towed them along and we fished together. My large Turtle fins provide lots of power.

Last edited:

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
And here I was worried you forgot the beer.

Great report as always, Dave! I miss my college days out there, those were good outings 🤠

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a Simms "taco" bag to keep my pump, waders, fins etc. in so it's ready all the time. Just grab it after picking out the floatie of the day.

Mike

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Forgetting my fins was a weird moment. I do have a wet bag where I normally stash my fins, waders, and boots. Somehow the fins got stuck somewhere else. Could have been that I left them in my Watermaster’s duffle after fishing Rattlesnake Lake last year.

I should buy a back up pair, so both my inflatables will have a set.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Way to save the day! Forgetting fins hurts. Luckily, I've only done it twice, both times for close neighborhood lakes so only a 30 minute delay. Oars too. Forgot my oars for the Commander once so just had to kick. Small problem, but I'm used to having the oars and the lake is BIG. I always grab the oars and fins 1st now, every time...ok, most times.
I haven't forgotten the oars for the raft...yet.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice work, more fish than I’ve caught this year.

Crawbugger

Steelhead
I had hardly any opportunities to fish last year. Maybe once or twice sometime in August or September. Rattlesnake and Martha with fair to crappy results.

Anyway, that it had been a while, this morning was a bit chaotic gathering my gear ahead of my fishing partner showing up at 8:30. You know the routine: coffee, breakfast, hope you didn’t forget anything. Yeah, once forgot my waders several years ago.

Friend showed up, loaded gear, off we went.

So we get to the lake. Float tube inflated, tackle in place, rod rigged… Fins? WTF?! Fins!!! What to do? Check online and Cabelas doesn’t have fins in stock. I’m screwed. Maybe put waders on and wade off the boat ramp? Lake level is the highest we’ve seen in over a year. Water gets deep quick not far out.

Friend has already been ready to hit the water by then. I have an idea but afraid to say it. But, when a friend is a good friend, he often can read your mind: “I can tow you out?” Exactly! And the conditions were perfect. Only the slightest breeze present. I get my waders and boots on and drag my float tube in the water.

Over the previous nights, I tied up some flies meant for working the shallows near the banks, but that wouldn’t happen without fins. “Just tow me over the drop off halfway between the launch and the opposite shore.”

I decided to start with the new pattern I had tied up. Lots of intermediate line count downs with no returns for the next hour. Ugh! Time for a new fly: The good ol’ Carey Special.

Slow wind drifting south and then west. Two, three, and one minute count downs. Lots of nothing. Occasional few rises(!?)… More cat’s paw drifting.

Suddenly a strike!

I tell you, you know it’s been a while (too long a while) since you last fished when you spazz the strike and lose the fish on the first jump. And not too bad of a fish, too. LDR’d it.

What did I learn (other than “buck fever”)? I did note how much line was out: 15 to 20 feet of Intermediate line to fly out past the guide tip. Conclusion? Fish are holding shallow. Likely not much more than 5 feet deep. That’s about a 1 minute count down. Good.

Finally I’ve drifted too close to shore. Fishing pal is not far away, so I ask him for another tow back to where I started. He ain’t no spring chicken, been living the retired life for a few years, and his legs aren’t far from a cramp. This is a “slow bell” tow.

So we’re barely chugging along. Like, slug bait slow. I have about 25’ of line out and doing this 1” strip and release in two to three second intervals.

Maybe five minutes into this… Strike! Fish on! And I got this: 14 inches of feisty fighting rainbow brought to hand.

View attachment 4570

After this, nothing else to show for or talk about other than WDFW officer W. Willette showed up while we were breaking gear down ashore. Such a nice woman. Good to see her making the rounds.

After this episode of forgetfulness, I think I ought to pack separate float tube fins for each of my inflatables. I don’t think I can handle another Foxtrot Mike like this again.

Tight Lines!
—Dave
Don’t sweat the small stuff. And remember it’s ALL small stuff. Glad you had some Fun.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Don’t sweat the small stuff. And remember it’s ALL small stuff. Glad you had some Fun.
Actually, the stuff that has been keeping me from fishing isn’t small stuff. No need to go there right now. I’m just grateful for any day I find to hit the water—as well as whatever it takes to get me there. Good friends included.

I don’t sweat the mosquitoes. It’s the many elephants that I do. And even then, I make it a point to keep it chill. Otherwise how do you get back your fishing mojo (The Art of Your Presentation) after all the time spent away?

Fun? I think it’s more like satisfying a hunger or a curiosity. No, not “fun.” Let me put it this way: When I first saw Tim Lockhart work this particular Brown Trout at Pass Lake, I was thoroughly impressed. He strikes everyone as a super nice and friendly guy, but he hunts fish—not fish for them. He has this “state of mind” that set him apart.

That’s how fly fishing is for me. It’s a state of mind. Yeah, I can really suck at it or sometimes do it like a rockstar, but all that is second to just doing it and being in it. It’s the curious process that I enjoy the most.

To be honest, if fly fishing was obvious or easy, I probably wouldn’t do it.

Crawbugger

Steelhead
Prayers sent on your Physical problems. Whatever it takes for you to Solve the puzzle. Hope you have a wonderful day.