First fish of 2023

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
A recent bout of insomnia had me working on about 12 total hrs of sleep over three nights when my fishing partner and I hit the South Sound on Tues. We found fish, and she proceeded to hook and land I dunno how many SRC. Despite her sharing the winning fly pattern, my one functioning brain cell resulted in many missed takes, several LDRs, a lot of blank staring at the water, no fewer than 5 completely fubar'd leaders, 10 min fumbling fly changes, and finally, my first fish of '23 - a very average but spunky searrun (sorry, no pic.)

And it was still an awesome day! Dang, I love this sport! 😜

VMP

Steelhead
Never mind Friday the 13th, nor the deluge of rain during the only break in between work Zoom meetings today, I had to get out for the first time this year, even if just for half an hour to a nearby dock. I caught (literally) a handful of trout for my first fish of 2023… second one was a whooping inch or two longer, maybe.20230113_121858.jpg

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Never mind Friday the 13th, nor the deluge of rain during the only break in between work Zoom meetings today, I had to get out for the first time this year, even if just for half an hour to a nearby dock. I caught (literally) a handful of trout for my first fish of 2023… second one was a whooping inch or two longer, maybe.View attachment 49951
Call it accumulated success. 🤙🏼

• Haha
Reactions: VMP

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
2023 fish # 1 was an accidental whitefish but yesterday was my first day actually fishing with a serious intent. I'm fortunate that #2 through 5 yesterday were steelhead. #2-4 were all chrome bright and jumpy hens. #5 buck below was on of those great steelhead experiences where you hook one in a rock garden right about a rapid and have to walk the fish down through the rapid hoping all the way they don't swim under a rock. Got lucky this time. Great day on the water and a good start to the season.

FishingGirl

Trout Yakker
Forum Supporter
A recent bout of insomnia had me working on about 12 total hrs of sleep over three nights when my fishing partner and I hit the South Sound on Tues. We found fish, and she proceeded to hook and land I dunno how many SRC. Despite her sharing the winning fly pattern, my one functioning brain cell resulted in many missed takes, several LDRs, a lot of blank staring at the water, no fewer than 5 completely fubar'd leaders, 10 min fumbling fly changes, and finally, my first fish of '23 - a very average but spunky searrun (sorry, no pic.)

And it was still an awesome day! Dang, I love this sport! 😜
12. No pics. Except the flies after use. Broken hook and unraveled ribs. 97BE43AC-AE2C-43FD-8A01-F7C204CF0DCF.jpeg