First fish of 2023

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Went out this morning with @jasmillo, hit a lake first, that sucked so we headed to the salt.

Caught one tiny rezzie, first fish of 23. You can catch solid fish at both places like jasmillo but that's not how I roll! I mean that's fine for some people but I like to get my lake skunking and small fish out of the way so it's only big fish for the rest of the year :)

PXL_20230101_183725489.jpg

Anyone got out today?

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
It was a good way to start the new year! Cold but not raining and a few willing fish.

A couple lake fish to start the day. Not monsters but not your cookie cutter put and take 12 inchers either.

DBED765A-DDC9-47C8-9906-6977B016DDD3.jpeg

Dark coastal cutthroat with cool markings.

1F3644BA-E3B9-4547-96FF-571CFF0874FA.jpeg

A few SRC to wrap up the day. One from MA 13 and 2 from MA 9. This guy had some interesting markings/scars? Gill net?

431EB9AE-F0A7-4F90-979D-393933DDCEF6.jpeg

92B28B15-2297-4980-8FEF-8CDDEEC1BE74.jpeg

C19654B8-6427-4E32-9F95-DFC11E3E6589.jpeg

Bring on the new year!! @Kfish looking at your fish closer now, wondering if it is a cutty based on the spots on the lower portion of the tail? Others have thoughts?

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
It was a good way to start the new year! Cold but not raining and a few willing fish.

A couple lake fish to start the day. Not monsters but not your cookie cutter put and take 12 inchers either.

View attachment 48063

Dark coastal cutthroat with cool markings.

View attachment 48067

A few SRC to wrap up the day. One from MA 13 and 2 from MA 9. This guy had some interesting markings/scars? Gill net?

View attachment 48064

View attachment 48065

View attachment 48066

Bring on the new year!! @Kfish looking at your fish closer now, wondering if it is a cutty based on the spots on the lower portion of the tail? Others have thoughts?
Yeah that threw me off, that's why it took me a few seconds to decide. Now still not so sure. Maybe it's a coho-curious cutty?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Yeah that threw me off, that's why it took me a few seconds to decide. Now still not so sure. Maybe it's a coho-curious cutty?
It looks clipped, no?

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
My wife got called in early for work so I got to go play (y)

The hardest part was deciding which lake to hit since the rivers were still high. But after working through a flow chart, deciphering some tea leaves and consulting my ouija board, I finally headed out the door.

I got to the put in a little late (by my standards) but what a morning! This guy was literally my first cast 81C719BD-37ED-49B5-9E4E-F9533493D3E3.jpeg
I lost count but was well over a dozen in the next 90 minutes…..which is crazy good for me🤪

This guy was the prize, though. He was the largest of the day and his colors were so deep. The bonus was he was the only fish I saw feeding on the surface so I got to do a little sight casting, too.(y)
67717BCE-D700-4105-A796-C58983FFE0FC.jpeg
5C79FF50-7A12-4088-BF3D-2979A9D25646.jpeg
Things slowed down for me around 11 but what a way to start the new year! such a treat.

I hope you all have a great time on your first outing of 2023, too.

Happy New Year

Mike d

Ernie

If not this, then what?
Forum Supporter

The hardest part was deciding which lake to hit since the rivers were still high. But after working through a flow chart, deciphering some tea leaves and consulting my ouija board, I finally headed out the door.

I got to the put in a little late (by my standards) but what a morning! This guy was literally my first cast View attachment 48086
I lost count but was well over a dozen in the next 90 minutes…..which is crazy good for me🤪

This guy was the prize, though. He was the largest of the day and his colors were so deep. The bonus was he was the only fish I saw feeding on the surface so I got to do a little sight casting, too.(y)
View attachment 48088
View attachment 48089
Things slowed down for me around 11 but what a way to start the new year! such a treat.

Happy New Year

Mike d
Your day sounded fantastic! Thank you for the report.

Reactions: M_D

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter

I got to the put in a little late (by my standards) but what a morning! This guy was literally my first cast View attachment 48086

View attachment 48088
View attachment 48089

Happy New Year

Mike d
Nice work Mike.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
I took my first skunking of the year like a man today. Plenty more of those to come....
Hey, no worries, a guy has to do what he is good at.

mattsavage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
New Years Day, hiked a couple miles in on dead roads, bushwhacked several hundred feet nearly straight down to a tiny coastal stream that may only be fished once or twice a year by any one person, total! Loaded with hungry cutthroats that are completely cuttoff from any other fish above a falls and no roads or private property above. It was a surreal experience. Cant wait to go back when it warms up and they might take something dry on the surface. It was almost too small and tight for the euronymphing.

IMG_7970.jpg

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
New Years Day, hiked a couple miles in on dead roads, bushwhacked several hundred feet nearly straight down to a tiny coastal stream that may only be fished once or twice a year by any one person, total! Loaded with hungry cutthroats that are completely cuttoff from any other fish above a falls and no roads or private property above. It was a surreal experience. Cant wait to go back when it warms up and they might take something dry on the surface. It was almost too small and tight for the euronymphing.

View attachment 48780
Sounds like a great time Matt!