First aid kit

Otter

Steelhead
Couple of references here on antihistamines, if anyone's interested:

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I'd be careful about having cowboy heroin as part of a first aid kit.😁

Seriously though, in most states you can't legally possess a controlled substance like hydrocodone if you don't have a valid prescription, and 'valid' means only the period before expiration of the prescription....
Oh, that's interesting. Had no idea about length of a legal prescription. I've thought about carrying hydrocodone in my kit, but I don't care for it, and Tylenol 3 is a pretty good pain killer for me.

But now I think I understand why a WSP trooper got his undies all in a bunch when I got pulled over in a radar trap some years ago. I pulled my registration out of the glove compartment, exposing an old prescription pill bottle that formerly held Vicoden - hydrocodone - in it. I'd stuck some TUMS tablets in it for occasional use if I eat something on the road that causes stomach acid. He said it was a good thing that he knew what TUMS looked like and that I couldn't keep them in that bottle. I thought, what the hell, it's the right size, and I still use it and have it in the car's glove box. Hmmm.

Please be careful mixing drugs in the same baggie particularly a narcotic as easy to mix them up in the event of an emergency or if someone else/child accesses the baggie. Just a note that the medical evidence has shown Tylenol #3 is not any more effective in managing pain than ibuprofen of naproxen. No need to carry a narcotic in a first aide kit - more risk than benefit.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
Oh, that's interesting. Had no idea about length of a legal prescription. I've thought about carrying hydrocodone in my kit, but I don't care for it, and Tylenol 3 is a pretty good pain killer for me.

But now I think I understand why a WSP trooper got his undies all in a bunch when I got pulled over in a radar trap some years ago. I pulled my registration out of the glove compartment, exposing an old prescription pill bottle that formerly held Vicoden - hydrocodone - in it. I'd stuck some TUMS tablets in it for occasional use if I eat something on the road that causes stomach acid. He said it was a good thing that he knew what TUMS looked like and that I couldn't keep them in that bottle. I thought, what the hell, it's the right size, and I still use it and have it in the car's glove box. Hmmm.
While LEO'S seldom get a chance to explore your home bathroom cabinets for expired schedule drugs, they are often quite fond of checking first aid kits in vehicles. My BIL (now deceased) would have had no problem busting anyone for possession of opiates.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
While LEO'S seldom get a chance to explore your home bathroom cabinets for expired schedule drugs, they are often quite fond of checking first aid kits in vehicles. My BIL (now deceased) would have had no problem busting anyone for possession of opiates.
Probable cause?

krusty

Forum Supporter
Probable cause?
At an international border there's no such thing as 'probable cause'. It's a condition of entry.

But I don't think that's what you're asking.....

Most law-biding citizens, believing they have no controlled substances in their vehicle, or mistakenly believe they have a 'valid' prescription, will readily assent to a search. Refusing a search under probable cause resistance just makes the officer more interested in the reason.

An indictment or conviction might be rare, but who wants to spend time, money, and emotional distress dealing with the issue? Like an argument with a spouse, one might 'win', but the victory is costly, painful, and ultimately unsatisfying.

Last edited:

claude

Smolt
Yes to carrying antihistamines, but I'd suggest updating from diphenhydramine (Benadryl) (a first generation antihistamine). I looked into this awhile back, and updated all my first aid kits. This is what I learned:

Diphenhydramine can cause drowsiness, dizziness, impaired coordination, and other problems. Another old one with even worse side effects is hydroxyzine (palpatations, seizures, sudden cardiac arrest). Those two are banned for commercial and military pilots.

Newer generation antihistamines are safer, non-drowsy, and faster-acting, such as Loratadine, desloratidine, and fexofenadine. Ceratizine is also a good one, but can be low-sedating.
Thanks for the info. Been carrying Benadryl for years; have only had to use it once and it did make the patient a bit drowsy.

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter
At an international border there's no such thing as 'probable cause'. It's a condition of entry.

But I don't think that's what you're asking.....

Most law-biding citizens, believing they have no controlled substances in their vehicle, or mistakenly believe they have a 'valid' prescription, will readily assent to a search. Refusing a search under probable cause resistance just makes the officer more interested in the reason.

An indictment or conviction might be rare, but who wants to spend time, money, and emotional distress dealing with the issue? Like an argument with a spouse, one might 'win', but the victory is costly, painful, and ultimately unsatisfying.
Traveling internationally, you need to have your act together.
I've had oxycodone or hydrocodone in my first aid kit for years. In fact my old doctor used to write me a script for a dozen or so just to have for my adventures. Fortunately never had to use it.
I've been pulled over a number of times in my years with a truck load of outdoor gear, and I've never had a LEO inquire about my first aid kit, in fact I've never had my vehicle searched. I've always been respectful, and upfront about firearms (which I imagine are of more concern than a couple of opiate tabs).

krusty

Forum Supporter
Traveling internationally, you need to have your act together.
I've had oxycodone or hydrocodone in my first aid kit for years. In fact my old doctor used to write me a script for a dozen or so just to have for my adventures. Fortunately never had to use it.
I've been pulled over a number of times in my years with a truck load of outdoor gear, and I've never had a LEO inquire about my first aid kit, in fact I've never had my vehicle searched. I've always been respectful, and upfront about firearms (which I imagine are of more concern than a couple of opiate tabs).
That all works 'til it don't.

krusty

Forum Supporter
Maybe when, or if I get pulled over again I will declare my handful of opiates to the officer. "Sir, I've got a .38 in the console, an AR and a Citori in the back seat, and a dozen oxycodones in the first aid kit."
If cited that admission would be a fine affirmative defense!

krusty

Forum Supporter
You're right, but I think it would probably make the officer chuckle instead of putting the cuffs on me. All BS aside, it is a thought provoking point. Thanks!
I dunno....the Citori does suggest a certain profile. 😁

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Comprehensive first aid kit in the back, Israeli Trauma Bandage and Swat-T Tourniquet in the drivers door pocket.

longputt

Steelhead
I was hiking when one guy in our party broke a tooth and literally could not breathe out of his mouth without pain. It was overnight to get him back to the T/H; very miserable for him.

I added tooth wax to my first aid kit and sure enough a few years ago a buddy broke a tooth and used it.

I took a few wilderness first aid classes and cobbled together all types of splints and decided to carry the SAM splint, super light, easy to use, takes up no space...hopefully I never use it...https://www.amazon.com/SAM-Medical-Products-Flat-Splint/dp/B001PSZ7XG/ref=asc_df_B001PSZ7XG/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=167133770849&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6346109266528795603&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9033822&hvtargid=pla-308438770042&psc=1

Israeli Trauma Bandage
Added this to my hunting packs...seems crazy to carry band aids when an injury from a weapon is possible. The only hassle is watching expiration dates.

Last edited:

longputt

Steelhead
After a simple lunch walk turned into an almost deadly situation for my dog I strongly recommend an Israeli bandage and a coagulant in ALL kits.

View attachment 26327
I have used my first aid kit far more on my dogs than people. Those hunting dogs will tear themselves to pieces. But be sure and remove any field dressing you put on your dog. A vet told me their circulation is a little different and wrapping a cut is different for dogs than people.

At risk of being an anonymous internet doctor I won't say what I was told!

Peyton00

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I'd be careful about having cowboy heroin as part of a first aid kit.😁

Seriously though, in most states you can't legally possess a controlled substance like hydrocodone if you don't have a valid prescription, and 'valid' means only the period before expiration of the prescription....
Lmao