First aid kit

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Yinz seem to have your stuff together so what do you like for first aid kits? Anybody have an off the shelf with some minor additions they like? Looking for something that’s mostly day trips or weekenders, generally not too far from help.

I did a quick search and didn’t see anything but feel free to move this thread if this is the wrong sub forum or delete if there is already a thread. Thanks!

Bajema

Life of the Party
I’ve got one of these in my bag when I’m out fishing in the hills. I’ve never needed it, so I can’t comment on whether it’s adequate, but I feel better knowing that I have something.

Otter

Steelhead
The Adventure Medical Kits "Sportsman Series" that I saw in stores some time ago, looked excellent. I didn't buy any, because I make up my own. I'm thinking their Sportman 100 would do fine for fishing with limited pack space. I'd just add a military field dressing (aka compress pressure bandage), for nasty cuts, and a couple of triangular bandages for fractures and sprains. Put those in a heavy duty ziplock bag.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Xterra Trivia: That "lump" on the rear door of every Xterra is actually the compartment for the first aid kit.
2B822782-8FE4-4165-A9C1-FF9F1CB87A25.jpeg5593B2F4-AFE6-4BB9-A4AE-74FCCEFD2185.jpeg

Last edited:

O' Clarkii Stomias

Landlocked Atlantic Salmon
Forum Supporter

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
My first aid kit is a bit on the ultra-light side, cuz backpacking. Bandaids, 2 3"x4" bandaids, mole skin, Lukotape (on silicone release paper that postage stamps come on are perfect), ACE wrap in a sandwich sized zip lock baggy; ibuprofen, Tylenol 3, imodium, Diamox, Tums, tiny chunk of cotton ball, each in tiny zip lock baggies, along with mini-tube containers of Aloe, Purell, Neosporin, and hand lotion, and extra cap for Smart water bottle all in a mini-mesh Anti-gravity stuff sack. Total weight is 4.9 ounces. Other needs like splints and slings can be imrpovised from a bandana, shirt, even a rain jacket. Learned those last two in a Wilderness First Aid course I took in May. The most important first aid product you need is your head to recognize and evaluate an emergency, and then deciding how to respond.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I have one of these in the truck. I only added some sting relief Gels and some bleed stop.

Surviveware Waterproof Premium First Aid Kit for Cars, Boats, Trucks, Hurricanes, Tropical Storms and Outdoor Emergencies - Small Kit - 100 Piece https://a.co/d/0EN6o5N

My backcountry kit is very similar to Salmo's.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
My first aid kit is usually some Band-Aids. I was fishing the upper, upper Ruby and as I was going from one spot to another I tripped and fell down. I jammed a dead stick into my arm. I pulled it out along with some grass and continued fishing. For some odd reason it wouldn't stop bleeding. It would just seep out. So I quit fishing and headed to Lima. the closest place with a store. I got there and got some paper napkins and headed home. It continued to seep all the way to Dillon. I got home and then headed to the ER. They cleaned it all out by flushing it with water. They bandaged it up and I went home. After a few days it got infected. End of story. I'm still here. I still don't carry a first aid kit.

Reactions: HOG

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
The Adventure Medical Kits "Sportsman Series" that I saw in stores some time ago, looked excellent. I didn't buy any, because I make up my own. I'm thinking their Sportman 100 would do fine for fishing with limited pack space. I'd just add a military field dressing (aka compress pressure bandage), for nasty cuts, and a couple of triangular bandages for fractures and sprains. Put those in a heavy duty ziplock bag.
I have one of these…

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
My first aid kit is a bit on the ultra-light side, cuz backpacking. Bandaids, 2 3"x4" bandaids, mole skin, Lukotape (on silicone release paper that postage stamps come on are perfect), ACE wrap in a sandwich sized zip lock baggy; ibuprofen, Tylenol 3, imodium, Diamox, Tums, tiny chunk of cotton ball, each in tiny zip lock baggies, along with mini-tube containers of Aloe, Purell, Neosporin, and hand lotion, and extra cap for Smart water bottle all in a mini-mesh Anti-gravity stuff sack. Total weight is 4.9 ounces. Other needs like splints and slings can be imrpovised from a bandana, shirt, even a rain jacket. Learned those last two in a Wilderness First Aid course I took in May. The most important first aid product you need is your head to recognize and evaluate an emergency, and then deciding how to respond.

Good list, the one thing I would add is an antihistamine (diphenhydramine) for allergy-type reactions, including snake/spider bites (won't add much in the way of ounces).

Cheers

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
My current backcountry First Aid Kit. I think it's been growing, and is at 7.3 oz currently which is a bit on the heavy side. It's mostly wound care; band-aids, Tegaderm, various gauze pads, tape, Naproxen, Hydrocodone, Acetaminophen/Carbomol tablets. I could possibly ditch the gloves. Not shown; whistle. Anything else can be improvised. Tasty beverage for scale.
IMG_6573.jpegIMG_6572.jpeg

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
My current backcountry First Aid Kit. I think it's been growing, and is at 7.3 oz currently which is a bit on the heavy side. It's mostly wound care; band-aids, Tegaderm, various gauze pads, tape, Naproxen, Hydrocodone, Acetaminophen/Carbomol tablets. I could possibly ditch the gloves. Not shown; whistle. Anything else can be improvised. Tasty beverage for scale.
View attachment 26268View attachment 26269
I'd be careful about having cowboy heroin as part of a first aid kit.😁

Seriously though, in most states you can't legally possess a controlled substance like hydrocodone if you don't have a valid prescription, and 'valid' means only the period before expiration of the prescription....

Last edited:

Otter

Steelhead
Good list, the one thing I would add is an antihistamine (diphenhydramine) for allergy-type reactions, including snake/spider bites (won't add much in the way of ounces).

Cheers
Yes to carrying antihistamines, but I'd suggest updating from diphenhydramine (Benadryl) (a first generation antihistamine). I looked into this awhile back, and updated all my first aid kits. This is what I learned:

Diphenhydramine can cause drowsiness, dizziness, impaired coordination, and other problems. Another old one with even worse side effects is hydroxyzine (palpatations, seizures, sudden cardiac arrest). Those two are banned for commercial and military pilots.

Newer generation antihistamines are safer, non-drowsy, and faster-acting, such as Loratadine, desloratidine, and fexofenadine. Ceratizine is also a good one, but can be low-sedating.