Fillet Knife Recommendations?

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I'm an electric fillet knife truther
I wondered when electric would show up. A few years ago three of us fished with a walleye guide, watching him filet those fish with his (corded) electric filet knife made me think I should buy one. He was very fast and didn't leave a lot of meat on the carcass.

@Jake Watrous - lots of corless options now ;-)

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I wondered when electric would show up. A few years ago three of us fished with a walleye guide, watching him filet those fish with his (corded) electric filet knife made me think I should buy one. He was very fast and didn't leave a lot of meat on the carcass.

I use it for everything but tuna. I consider it mandatory for my bottomfish trips. Didn't expect it to be so good at salmon, too, but it is.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

I remember years ago my guide zipping through redfish filets with one in Delacroix LA…I’ve never used one, but it cut through scales and rib bones pretty easily…

MGM

“Just glad to be here”
Forum Supporter
Jake , heres what I have been using on coho for the last 20 years. Probably 50-60 / year. Shrade Uncle Henry USA # 167. The older ones were US made if you can find them. I bought a new back up and the blade wasn’t the same, too soft. The USA made are about 3 times the price of the newer model.

Attachments

• IMG_2059.jpeg
    IMG_2059.jpeg
    818.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2060.jpeg
    IMG_2060.jpeg
    826.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2061.jpeg
    IMG_2061.jpeg
    536.7 KB · Views: 26

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
I appreciate all the feedback. For now, I decided to re-handle my Dexter. Just got to band-saw it, drill out the old rivets, then figure out how to do rivets with this new handle.

IMG_1567.jpeg

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yeah it does have a spoon, sorry
No apology necessary. I can see how what I wrote could be interpreted differently.

That’s an interesting knife, but I’m clumsy enough that I’d probably fillet myself while scraping backbones.

Bob Rankin

Wandering the country with rifle and spey rod.
Forum Supporter
This is my Grampas Imperial fillet knife. It’s worked for me for many, many years on fish, game and game birds. I’m sure there are better knifes out there, but they weren’t from my Grandpa. He’s been gone over 20 years. I truly love this knife.IMG_6387.jpeg