Fillet Knife Recommendations?

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
The rivets on my wood-handle Dexter 8’ filet knife worked themselves loose this summer. before I pull the trigger on a replacement, I figured I would see what other folks use. I'm ok spending a bit as my knives get used a fair amount (call it 80+ salmon a year), and I'm decent with a hone,

CRO

Steelhead
been through a few dozen Kings with a Dexter-Russel 10" with the white handle, my Workmate puts a razor edge on it....the Bubba Blades get excellent reviews..pricey
I too am a an owner of several dexter russel knives. You can toss em in the dishwasher after use to sanitize them and not hurt them unlike the old wooden handle ones.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
been through a few dozen Kings with a Dexter-Russel 10" with the white handle, my Workmate puts a razor edge on it....the Bubba Blades get excellent reviews..pricey
We have the same knife. Works great and cheap enough that I don't mind being aggressive with a sharpener.

Another good one is the Victorinox Fibrox Cimiter (scimitar). I think it might be discontinued but still available on sale at Amazon.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Love my Cutco filet knife. Blade extends. Good quality that retains an edge and is easy to reshaped. I use an electric knife for walleye.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Thank you all for the feedback.

Divad

Whitefish
I use a Rapala Flex I think it’s called for everything under about 10lbs. Very easy to get all the cuts done.

Could use something better than the old Dexter for larger fish, those Knives of AK look very well made.

Nick Clayton

Fishing Is Neat
Forum Supporter
IMO the knife you are trying to replace is the best filet knife ever made.

The white handled DR would be my next choice.

Ultimately a filet knife is only as good as its user. A filet knife needs to fit your hand, fit your preference for feel/flex etc, so one person's preference isn't always gonna line up with your own.

Kinda like fly rods I suppose.

Whatever you do don't waste money on a Bubba Blade.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
Whatever you do don't waste money on a Bubba Blade.
I was given one of those a few years ago as a gift. The sheath was sharper than the blade, and I couldn’t get it to hold a new edge.

The price to performance ratio on the Dexter is hard to beat. Maybe I’ll try to make a new handle.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
I have a couple DR knives with the white plastic handles in the kitchen drawer. One is a fillet knife, and the other is a regular butcher knife which is useful on large kings - which means I don't often use it unfortunately. I have a Rapala folding fillet knife that travels in my salmon gear bag, and it's been very good, although not likely to be my first choice on a "production" line fish cleaning station.