Favorite superglue?

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I've tried several super glues and Zap-a-gap medium is the only one I like. I have not tried the Loctite however.

Last edited:

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I bought a six pack of small gel super glue. I think it was at harbor freight. Anyway the tubes are very small so if you do waste some no big deal.

rooftop

Smolt
Thanks for all the responses. I'll check out the Loctite. I kind of expected more Zap a Gap considering how much it gets referenced in literature an videos, but maybe it's just being used like "Kleenex."

Lots of other great tips too, like the sticky notes, rice jar, and pill bottle with steel wool. 💡

ColinShots

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks for all the responses. I'll check out the Loctite. I kind of expected more Zap a Gap considering how much it gets referenced in literature an videos, but maybe it's just being used like "Kleenex."

Lots of other great tips too, like the sticky notes, rice jar, and pill bottle with steel wool. 💡
I think zap a gap has its place for sure. The brush on applicator is nice, and I use zap quite a bit during tying to help with the durability of the fly (like after attaching a trailing stinger, or after tying in a bunch of stuff). I just don't finish with zap, or do eyes and stuff with it.

Reactions: Zak

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I like the LocTite gel superglue too, but I also use the LocTite Brush On superglue a lot. It's all about the applicator and the consistency of the glue for different applications. I usually don't get quite every single drop of glue out before the container or the glue go bad, but that means I'm out like a dollar's worth of glue. Oh well.

View attachment 94882
This.

I really like a brush on. Wish the brush tip was finer though...mine gets splayed.

I'll try trimming the brush bristles and see how that goes.

kmudgn

Steelhead
I use Harbor Freight branded superglue. Its cheap, you get 10 tubes of gel pack for about $ 4 and works fine. If you don't use it for a while and end up throwing a partially used tube its only about a 40 cent loss (+/-). The unused tubes keep "forever" until you break the seal.
Being a cheap bastard is its own reward!

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
I use Harbor Freight branded superglue. Its cheap, you get 10 tubes of gel pack for about $ 4 and works fine. If you don't use it for a while and end up throwing a partially used tube its only about a 40 cent loss (+/-). The unused tubes keep "forever" until you break the seal.
Being a cheap bastard is its own reward!
What I use also.

flybill

Life of the Party
I was able to get one of my dentist's years ago to give me a bunch of old dental tools, that could no longer be used and would be either thrown away or sent back.. my recent dentists don't seem to give them away, as they're sent back.

So I used some of them, like the one that pokes your damn gum, for things like applying small amounts of super glue, head cement or whatever.. works well!

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
This.

I really like a brush on. Wish the brush tip was finer though...mine gets splayed.

I'll try trimming the brush bristles and see how that goes.
Ditto. After a while, my Loctite brush is a mess. I bought zap a gap this week when I was in Pacific Fly FIshers and will try it. I’ve thought about trimming the loctite bristles as well when I start using it.

Last edited:

candr

Steelhead
Loctite brushable. With every new bottle I clean the glue off the brush w acetone and then trim it down to half a dozen bristles. Brushable krazy glue is also good. It appears to be the same as the Wapsi fly tiers Z ment. I use super glue to coat chironomids and perdigons and loctite brushable and krazy glue are the best for not changing the thread body color once it has cured.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I once had a discussion with a guy who swore he’d never use CA glue because the fish could smell it and wouldn’t bite it. He was like, maybe to finish a dry fly head, never for any nymph or streamer. I assured him I had caught oodles of fish on flies utterly slathered in CA glue but he wouldn‘t be convinced. You gotta go with what works for you I suppose.