Favorite superglue?

rooftop

Smolt
I'm tying some saltwater flies and have been somewhat unhappy with the Krazy and Gorilla Glue I've been using. But it seems to be a better glue than the Loon Flow I use on freshwater flies. The Gorilla Glue applicator is horrible and is like coming your hair with a push broom. Any preferred brands and/or dispensers?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
A third for the lock tite
I also have a wax pencil
It allows you to hold the material down - eyes come to mind - without sticking to your fingers

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Another for locktite if I need it to dry super fast.

For my general use, I use whatever clear nail polish I can find at the dollar store.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
How does the Loctite store long term? Does the cap get glued shut? I like the Zap-a-Gap with brush applicator but the cap is now glued, I'll have to get out the channel lock pliers :)

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
How does the Loctite store long term? Does the cap get glued shut? I like the Zap-a-Gap with brush applicator but the cap is now glued, I'll have to get out the channel lock pliers :)

Haven’t found the Loctite gel to be an issue with the cap. Have had the issue with their thinner SG. The removable cap portion is now glued on there good so I unscrew the other part and use a tooth pick to apply it. Not really a fan of the thinner stuff as it is too runny for my liking versus the control gel.
SF

RichS

Life of the Party
image.jpg
I like these little tubes. I can usually use pretty much all of the glue before having any problems with the cap becoming glued in place. Economical and less wasteful for me. I use both the thin and the gel.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I like the LocTite gel superglue too, but I also use the LocTite Brush On superglue a lot. It's all about the applicator and the consistency of the glue for different applications. I usually don't get quite every single drop of glue out before the container or the glue go bad, but that means I'm out like a dollar's worth of glue. Oh well.

1702583072534.png

Shad

Life of the Party
I always have problems with applicators and necks getting crammed up with dried glue using Zap-A-Gap. I have found that if you leave a Micro applicator on the bottle and just leave it uncapped, it takes a really long time for the glue to harden inside, and the glue stuck in the applicator usually runs back down into the bottle, but it sometimes glues shut. If the applicator gets jammed, just cut the tip off and you should be back in business. I don't think I've ever used more than half a bottle before it becomes pretty useless, but at least replacing it is fairly cheap.

I may give the Loc-Tite stuff a try next time around. Seems to have the best applicator and gets good reviews from experienced tiers.

Clear nail polish is pretty good, but finding a fine enough applicator can be a challenge. I guess we can always use a toothpick or something for detail applications....

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
That's what your bodkin is for! Just keep a paper towel handy for wiping it off
Ditto, I keep a bodkin in the Loc-tite’s applicator. Probably get a couple hundred* applications before the bottle is gummed up to bad for use or the product isn’t useful.

* a year, give or take

Zak

Legend
I always have problems with applicators and necks getting crammed up with dried glue using Zap-A-Gap. I have found that if you leave a Micro applicator on the bottle and just leave it uncapped, it takes a really long time for the glue to harden inside, and the glue stuck in the applicator usually runs back down into the bottle, but it sometimes glues shut. If the applicator gets jammed, just cut the tip off and you should be back in business. I don't think I've ever used more than half a bottle before it becomes pretty useless, but at least replacing it is fairly cheap.

I may give the Loc-Tite stuff a try next time around. Seems to have the best applicator and gets good reviews from experienced tiers.

Clear nail polish is pretty good, but finding a fine enough applicator can be a challenge. I guess we can always use a toothpick or something for detail applications....
I mostly use Sally Hansons Hard As Nails (Locktite gel for things like gluing down nonlead wraps).

I take the SHHAN brush applicator out of the bottle, use a paper towel to squeeze the nail polish out of the brush while pressing it thin and flat, and then trim the brush to a fine point with scissors or a razor blade. That modified brush travels from bottle to bottle as I use them up.