Favorite materials for parachute posts

Aufwuchs

Steelhead
What do you like to use for posts on parachute style dry flies? I have tried poly yarn, calf tail, foam, and turkey flats. I like the look of the calf tail but find it easier to tie with the poly yarn and foam. Anybody have any other materials they like?

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Fly tyers dungeon Congo hair, and sometimes add in like a fluorescent green or pink for visibility. I think for the hi vis it’s the PIP material.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Fly tyers dungeon Congo hair, and sometimes add in like a fluorescent green or pink for visibility. I think for the hi vis it’s the PIP material.
I tend to use poly but also use trigger point or Congo hair.

I had a pile of Congo hair in some bright colors that I bought but never ended up using too much. So I took some leftover rainx and treated the Congo hair. Seemed to work about the same as the trigger point material but didn’t have to buy more tp

Canuck from Kansas

Aimlessly wondering through life
Forum Supporter
Almost exclusively snowshoe hare now.

cheers

Reactions: Zak

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I’ve tried lots of materials for parachute wing posts and my best flies have elk hair for parachutes.

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
White antron. The best could be found as a core in mylar tubing used for Zonker bodies... But you can find antron as ribbons but the more kinky the better when it comes to making parachute wings. I haven't purchased mylar tubing in a long, long time so I'm not sure they still use antron as the core....

tkww

Steelhead
If you want sparkle and crinkle in your post, Hareline's sparkle emerger yarn is great. If you just want a lot more spread (significant crinkle) and sparkle, Hareline's para post is your thing. If you want better behaved options but less flash, any of the poly options are your thing. FTD's congo hair has a lot more crinkle compared to poly yarn, but not sparkle.

Reactions: Zak