Favorite fish of 2022

Florida Man

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
2 fish stand out for me. First, my daughters first fish ever. It was on her Echo Gecko, caught with a purple chubby up top, while riding my shoulders in a high mountain lake (she also backpacked in on her own accord). No photos of the fish because I would have dropped her, but I do have this while fish was on. It was all of 6” but everyone was pumped.
View attachment 47082

Second was this 9” Brookie, from a high mountain lake in eastern oregon. I caught it in a fly I tied while on the shore of said lake with mountain goat hair and a jay wing that I found while hiking to the lake. Tied it with sewing thread from an emergency kit while holding the hook in my hand. Casted to cruising trout and landed this guy on the third cast. The fly only lasted the one fish. And yes I ate it and it was delicious.
View attachment 47081
View attachment 47080
I love the colors on that brookie. The story to go with it is even better.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
Fat cat at the buzzer - taken on a fly, this channel cat grabbed in about 12ft of water the day before everything froze this month (in Ohio). I spent the summer learning to chase cats on the fly with decent success, but this one took the cake.
8E1CB372-D154-458E-B820-E13FC12EB8B4.jpeg372F318A-3E29-48A7-860A-00DB19CDF71B.jpeg

One more - trophy hunting for rainbows with Salzer and Mooney in WA.
BCA7C7CB-40DF-45B5-9A73-344791643268.jpeg

Will say, the catch is always a thrill but every season for me is made by who I spent it with.
2ADFB617-3826-4E07-848A-C61DB51760C3.jpeg

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Nice fish, both of them.
That Brookie looks bright like photos of east coast “salters” I’ve seen.

Phil K

AKA Philonius
Forum Supporter
I like that last one, Kfish.

OK, late to the party. Since we're allowed more than one:

Not the biggest, but the most satisfying would be a 14-15" Cutt from a C shaped lake not far from Snoqualmie Pass. (No pic) I'd spotted some nice fish here, but there is not an abundant population, and I'd suffered two skunkings already. After much uneventful prowling about I found a player working a rocky niche and banked an Adams off the overhang just so. Sometimes the ones you have to work for are the best.

Fish of the year from a 5000+' lake in the N Cascades:

DSC00649.jpeg

Ryan Smart

Steelhead
I'll offer 2 favorites for the year. The first is a brown that I caught in Montana this fall. My buddy and I were fishing a braided area where there were a bunch of huge fish surfacing in a slack area, presumably chasing emergers based on how they were surfacing. We couldn't figure out those fish, so went after fish in the faster water. I fished a side channel that had a relatively narrow slot in the weeks, and managed to hook and land this one, my biggest brown to date. It was a great week of fishing and I'm sure we both lost some fish that were even bigger.

20220926_140649.jpg
20220926_091739.jpg

The other one was another brown, not nearly as big but probably just as exciting. My girlfriend and I were fishing a river in Oregon during hopper season. I had gotten a fee fish earlier, but she hadn't. I was fishing a hundred yards or so downstream of her and working a bank that just had to hold some fish when I saw her fighting a fish. I started walking upstream but not in a rush, thinking the fish would be released by the time I got there... but then she hollered for help. I got there in time to net the fish, which was 17-18" and had eaten a hopper pattern on the surface. To sat she was excited by her biggest brown on a fly would be an understatement!

The bonus was that after netting the fish and congratulating her, I went around the bend upstream and caught several nice browns on a hopper too!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
From early April I think.... probably my longest of 2022, probably not the heaviest, definitely not a 20", but damn, look at that paddle!!!

lEs7nsP.jpg

MarshRat

Steelhead
This is my favorite thread each year, cool to see what everybody gets into. I followed the tuna stories most closely, very fun to read about- even from a distance.

This was our first full year in SC (Moved in July 2021 from North Puget Sound). Hunted tailing redfish most of the year, stalking individual fish in grass flats. A very special place to be wading with a fly rod.

IMG-1075.jpg

Happy New Year y'all!

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
This is my favorite thread each year, cool to see what everybody gets into. I followed the tuna stories most closely, very fun to read about- even from a distance.

This was our first full year in SC (Moved in July 2021 from North Puget Sound). Hunted tailing redfish most of the year, stalking individual fish in grass flats. A very special place to be wading with a fly rod.

View attachment 48206

Happy New Year y'all!
Nice! Redfish are super fun to sight cast to, I've done it a couple times in Galveston.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Me and my Dad have spent the last two years teaching ourselves how to fish Puget Sound after years of depending on friends and guides to show us around. This year we were rewarded with an absolutely amazing Coho fishing. I believe we caught mostly residents this Fall, generally in the 4-5 lb range, but two fish we kept and two fish we let go were definitely ocean fish. After less than two hours of fishing mid morning, we pulled this ten pound fish 100 lbs deep. Fought long, and pulled half my spool off.

Attachments

• 9ECCC664-1CD1-48DB-97FA-19BD83E6D017.jpeg
    9ECCC664-1CD1-48DB-97FA-19BD83E6D017.jpeg
    527.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 8C1FFD3A-93B8-431C-BF42-C082FD4A0CCD.jpeg
    8C1FFD3A-93B8-431C-BF42-C082FD4A0CCD.jpeg
    801.8 KB · Views: 26