Favorite Chironomid Hooks?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Interestingly seems like nobody has cited the Alec Jackson chironomid hook which has an upturned eye.

1707155677338.png
edit, oh wait, no--is this what you are using @SteelHeadDave ?

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
My understanding is both hooks are identical in shape/scale and the AJ odd numbers bridge the size difference in the even-numbered 1760’s. The sizes I use most are AJ #13 and daiichi #14.

I get a small amount of evil pleasure in using AJ hooks ....

So when my buddy asks me what size I am using I can say "a 15" and bug the $hit out of him. :cool:

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
Do chironomids on a straight shank hook even work at all, bro?
😁
I didn't say they didn't work. But you know us fly tyers like to fiddle with different things so I offered an option I havent seen much of.

Having slotted beads and jigs allows variety. Different colorations, weights, hook gaps, and so on.

The jig hook craze ain't going anywhere bro...hulk-hogan-listening.gif😁😁😁

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I didn't say they didn't work. But you know us fly tyers like to fiddle with different things so I offered an option I havent seen much of.

Having slotted beads and jigs allows variety. Different colorations, weights, hook gaps, and so on.

The jig hook craze ain't going anywhere bro...View attachment 102222😁😁😁
Everything old is new again!
1707162719934.png

I like jig hooks, too! But I'm so lame I'm still tying on 2457s. I mean, they still work, so...

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
View attachment 102250

I like jig hooks, too! But I'm so lame I'm still tying on 2457s. I mean, they still work, so...
The TDC was the first chironomid I ever attempted, pretty similar to the pic you've shared. It caught fish in Bobby and Nunnally well before Bobby disappeared (or it seems to have). As all of us do, I started morphing the pattern and substituted a little clipped antelope hair instead of ostrich herl. One fine evening at that fly fishing only lake near Othello that little midge got hammered but I kept missing the fish. Apparently when I debarbed the old Mustad, I weakened the hook as it was missing the hook point. ;-)

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
View attachment 102250

One of my first times fly fishing and first time chironomid fishing I used that pattern at Nunnally. Worked very well to the point I lost all three I had due to getting snapped off.
I was anchored next to my buddy that day when a large rainbow jumped, hit my buddy in the back of the head and flopped around in his raft. I thought it was hooked but it wasn’t.
Can still see that happen vividly in my mind after 40+ years.
SF

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Lies, I tell you, LIES! There is no way that feathers with their natural refractory structures could ever outfish the baggie that my earbuds came in, or the exact right shade of root beer flashabou that some Canadian guy made 28 years ago and now it's out of stock and the guy has passed on but every now and then at an estate sale or on fleabay... :LOL:

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I started tying cronies on 1760's years ago and never changed. If it ain't broke.............

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Thanks to all for the hook suggestions.
I ordered some 1760’s in 12, 14 and 16 along with a bunch of tungsten beads.
SF

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Once you find the right hook for a chironomid tie them up and then throw them in the fire.
You mean like to temper them so they don't bend out on the massive hawgs they hook when they re-emerge like a Phoenix, stronger and more magnificent than before?