Favorite bass rod weight, what you got?

What weight rod do you primarily use for bass fishing?

• 5wt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6wt

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • 7wt

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • 8wt

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • 9wt

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 10wt

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I donā€™t catch the size of bass that @Billy does. I mostly fish for them on the Columbia River and primarily catch smallmouth. I like to swing for them with my 4 weight trout Spey. My single-hand rods only go up to 6 weight. Years ago, when I started to get into the Spey game, I sold my 2-piece 9ā€™6ā€ 7-weight Sage XP. Shouldnā€™t have done thatā€¦.

CRequa

Steelhead
Throw my foam popper on a 8wt vxp, and minnows/crawdads on a 6wt ct, once i start tying changers i may need a bigger rod, will see

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Some 6 weights are 7ā€™s in disguise and some 7ā€™s are todays new 8 weights. I think the 6-8 weight range is the norm.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
8wt for me. If itā€™s windy or throwing larger or wind resistant flies, it works well. Can still make it be a little more subtle with low and or clear water by lengthening leader. Fishing river smallmouth (most of what I do), it works for the flies and also give that extra leverage for fish as needed too.

If I had to pick a second it would be a 7wt. For basically the same reasons, just slightly on the lighter scale.

If I had to pick only one for myself, Iā€™d say 8wt but for somebody newer to it Iā€™d suggest 7wt as they probably are more versatile for somebody checking it out (and the new 7wts are yesterdays 8wtsā€¦). Most of what I fish are size 2 or so, usually around 4-5ā€ and some cork poppers.

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
When I fished for bass a lot, I preferred a 5 or 6 if I could get away with it. Maxmum fun without wimping out on the fish. But I fished up to a 9 for giant deer hair/rabbit monstrosities.

Jahhn

Just Hatched
I've most often used 6 & 7 for bass, my 6 is dedicated to floating line and my 7 is a shorter fiberglass rod with an intermediate line. I've also used a separate 6 and 8, those were set up for stripers with shooting heads. While those two aren't my rods I got to fish them quite a lot and they were very enjoyable. I personally voted 7 here because it just makes it a little easier to throw bigger streamers

Ryan Smart

Steelhead
Like a lot of the other posts, I generally use an 7wt or 8wt for bass. Nearly all of my bass fishing is for smallmouth, and has mostly been in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Ontario so the heavier rod is nice when a pike or musky decides to eat my bass fly.

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
I have 2 6s, a 7 and an 8 along with the rest of my gear loaded in the car right now. Can't wait for Friday! Normally just 2 6s and an 8, but I added a 7 to the quiver last year and think it will be my main rod this season.