Favorite bass rod weight, what you got?

What weight rod do you primarily use for bass fishing?

• 5wt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6wt

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • 7wt

Votes: 12 26.1%
  • 8wt

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • 9wt

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • 10wt

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Just curious what folks are using for their primary bass fly rod. Figured I'd make a poll.

I started at 5wt at the low and went to 10wt at the top (thought that's really only so Billy can vote). If you are somehow outside of that range, use the "other" option and make a comment explaining.

And again, limit this to your "primary" bass rod. Think of it like "if you could only have one..."

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I have a 7wt BAG that is my main bass rod.

I am considering getting either a 6 or an 8 wt Echo EightFour at some point.

Dogsnfish

Steelhead
I have two 6's and a 7 that I have used for bass. Nothing dedicated to them, but those are what I pull out when head down to the Snake.

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
Do you guys use different wt rods for largemouth and smallmouth?
I do not.

But I think it depends a lot on what you are throwing and if that changes between the two species.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When I target them which is low single digits per year I have a 790-4 RPL and I think the taper/action of that rod is perfect, for what I like to do. It is a truly a multi use fresh water fish rod.

Northern

Seeking SMB
Forum Supporter
I usually carry 3 rods on the kayak (two horizontal extra-rod holders plus one in hand.)
For bass fishing I typically have both a 6wt and an 8wt Helios with floating lines; 6wt set up with a small popper or stealth bomber, and a big popper on the 8wt.
The third rod might be either my 8wt BAG or an 80's-era 7wt Loomis Classic IM6 with a sinking line and a craw or jiggy streamer.

Hard to go back to any other rod than the Helios for topwater - it's so accurate it's almost cheating.

*edit to add:
Same rods for both: largies might be bigger, but smallies fight harder!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
That's not fair, I can't vote for two!

I typically have both a 7wt and am 8wt in my boat at all times when targeting bass. I've had enough encounters with Big C and W bass where I was thankful for an 8wt, that I'm thankful for an 8wt.

It's a little like trying to target tiger muskies with a 7wt, sure, that'll cast most 7" flies that will work great and land 90% of the fish you're likely to encounter, but what about that 50"? not gonna happen....Personally, I feel the same about these smallies. It's been a few years since I've caught a fish that really required an 8wt, but damn, I wish I was fishing an 8 with that fish! (it happened to be one of those few legit 20"+ fish that you can encounter on the Big C and W...). Shit, there are a few times where I've been thankful for my 10wt when catching largemouth by-catch while musky fishing (by-catch there is rarely small).

That's my personal opinion, YMMV.

🍻

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
I wouldn’t say my 8wt is my favorite, I just seem to have more than enough and it tosses big flies well.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
8’4” 6wt

Shad

Life of the Party
A fast 6-weight is good for delivering the smaller Clousers, buggers, and gurglers I use for most of my bass fishing. Same rod I use for fishing trout streamers, just with a shorter, stout leader. On the rare occasion I use bigger or more bulky flies, I use an 8-wt.

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I suck at lake fishing, and in particular catching bass, so I’m always needing to be ready to try for a consolation stocker. That said I have a 4 wt aboard for trout and/or panfish and/or anything floating including poppers, and a 6 wt for throwing big weighted jiggy streamers, or switching to trolling for rainbows. Once topwater allegedly gets going, I might switch the float/sink between the 4 and 6 setup.

I have a drift boat and just need to learn to haul and launch it, so that should broaden my range of rods brought on board above two.