Family Trip for MF Salmon Question

Deansie

Steelhead
Coming off a Smith River trip last year, I’m going to start putting in for a MF Salmon permit. That being said, I’m considering going the outfitter route for two reasons:
1) our kids are getting to the perfect age for a trip like this
2) While my wife, daughter and one son can hang on most trips, I think they’d get a bit miserable on a 6 day DIY if I were to get a permit…plus they aren’t passionate about fishing. My other son and I could be out there for weeks.

My question is, does anyone have any experience with any of the outfitters? Preferably, I’d throw three of the fam in a raft and kayaks and my son and I would be in a fishing raft. Can rotate as needed. I don’t want to say $$ isn’t an issue but know going in for 5 people it won’t be cheap.

Any recommendations?

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
I went with Helfrich Outfitters about 10 years ago, but we were fishing. We used driftboats the whole time. It was first class operation. They had a plane land one morning at our campsite and restock us with food and ice. Great times and great outfitter.

Peach

Stillwater Fanatic
I went with Middle Forks Adventure July 2020 - just opened up right after COVID. Went at the beggining of July - perfect time as weather warms up but river levels still high enough to allow you a full trip.

Fun trip - beutiful country - so glad we went. I went with my adult daughter and it wasn't a fishing focused trip - but I did bring a rod and was able to fish during lunch breaks, or breaks on the trip, and early in the morning before we left and in the evening at camp. It was a 5 day 4 night trip - but one day I was able to ride on a supply raft with one other older gentleman and the guide end up being a "fishing" guide for me and maneuving the into fishy area's. Even though MFA's focus was more on family rafting, the owner and main guide does fish so he knew of good area's to hit.

Very good meals and final margarita night.

Peach

Attachments

• MFS_2020_Jul_03.jpg
    MFS_2020_Jul_03.jpg
    317 KB · Views: 7
  • MFS_2020_Jul_01.jpg
    MFS_2020_Jul_01.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5767 (1).JPG
    IMG_5767 (1).JPG
    642.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5773.JPG