Factory Loops?

Factory loops in saltwater lines 7wt-12wt? What to do?

• Cut, form a loop in the line, secure with double nail knot/whip finish, glue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Divad

Whitefish
No problems on factory loops for my SA 7wt and 8wt lines I use in the salt for chum and tidewater kings. All my polyleaders get the exposed core portion cut off and new loops formed. I also carry with me everything to whip a new loop into a line on the water if ever needed.

Need to see one break first to lose confidence in the factory ones, at least for the SA lines I use.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
Replacing a fly line loop depends on what species you are targeting and the exact fly line you are using. For example, I would reinforce or replace the fly line loops for RIO lines when fishing for large GT, but not bother doing it if using AirFlo lines (stronger). Replacing factory loops is not necessary for our local PNW fishing.
Replacing or reinforcing factory loops is very smart when targeting billfish, dogtooth tuna, big Napoleon wrasse, yellowfin/bluefin tuna, shark, etc.
If in doubt, just add a couple 8 turn nail knots with 30 pound braid to the factory loop. Use a 100 pound core fly line (SA) for crazy strong fish living near coral. Hollow braid (30-50 lb waxed) can be slid over the fly line to make super strong, but bulky reinforced loops.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
1. Leave on until the coating completely breaks off after a few hundred sessions.

2. Nail knot some heavy mono onto the fly line, tie a loop in the end of the mono.

3. Resume fishing unless you left the mono at home, in which case you pack up, browse the forums, and weigh in on what to do with factory loops in a forum poll.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
The only loops I leave in place are those that will be looped to other fly line or braided #30 backing. That one that gets the leader attached is immediately snipped off and the leader nail knotted on. That's the one that gets the most abuse and fails - usually when you don't want it to.

Chucker

Steelhead
Test them when the line is new, before you put it on a reel. If they don’t break, fish them. (Though I actually would cut off loops on bonefish lines like WW describes above, because I don’t want the bulk of the loop)

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
make a loop from hollow core braid, nail knot the 'stub' high and low, a dab of UV on nail knots and in the space between nail knots...the flyline will break before the loop gives way

Spfd Jason

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Replacing a fly line loop depends on what species you are targeting and the exact fly line you are using. For example, I would reinforce or replace the fly line loops for RIO lines when fishing for large GT, but not bother doing it if using AirFlo lines (stronger). Replacing factory loops is not necessary for our local PNW fishing.
Replacing or reinforcing factory loops is very smart when targeting billfish, dogtooth tuna, big Napoleon wrasse, yellowfin/bluefin tuna, shark, etc.
If in doubt, just add a couple 8 turn nail knots with 30 pound braid to the factory loop. Use a 100 pound core fly line (SA) for crazy strong fish living near coral. Hollow braid (30-50 lb waxed) can be slid over the fly line to make super strong, but bulky reinforced loops.
What is your opinion on the Cortland 50+ core lines? I purchased the GT and Heavy Sink lines. Stronger than RIO factory loops? Thanks.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
What is your opinion on the Cortland 50+ core lines? I purchased the GT and Heavy Sink lines. Stronger than RIO factory loops? Thanks.
I've not used those fly lines, but the guide companies in the Seychelles use Cortland fly lines (they sell them in their small shops to clients).

ifsteve

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
FWIW when I went to the Seychelles a couple of years ago the official position of Fly Castaway was to just leave factory loops alone. They used to cut them all off but decided that was no longer the way to go.

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
FWIW when I went to the Seychelles a couple of years ago the official position of Fly Castaway was to just leave factory loops alone. They used to cut them all off but decided that was no longer the way to go.
They do cut off and replace RIO GT Elite loops.