SFR Depletion of Groundwater is more serious than we thought!

Sorta fishing-related

Flymph

Steelhead

Interesting read into a topic not on many people's radar. Serious depletion of groundwater has been going on for over 80 years without enough recharging of aquifers, Many problems arise including "cancer" issues! Mismanagement and Climate Change seem to be the leading culprits.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Frank Herbert may have been a prophet . . . . was Dune a vision of our future? If it is, I sure hope we can do it without those giant worms.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

Tinker

Smolt
Forum Supporter
We're pumping it too fast, for sure, but we're also destroying the natural recharge systems. They make great parking lots.

Last edited:

Flymph

Steelhead
We're pumping it too fast, for sure, but we're also destroying the natural recharge systems. They make great parking lots.
You make a great point when it comes to 'recharge"!

Groundwater is one of the world’s most important natural resources, but groundwater management has traditionally been governed by lax and uneven legal regimes which tend to focus on the extraction of groundwater or groundwater quality, rather than Groundwater Recharge.

Human activities like Agriculture, Development, Forrest Management, and Flood Control can decrease groundwater storage while Water Banking, Ag managed aquifer recharge, Stormwater capture, and Treated wastewater help to recharge.

Once again, it takes a dynamic switch in societal and political thought!!!

Last edited:

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
That’s a good point; a lot of development (parking lots, buildings etc) basically funnels rainfall that would’ve landed on that area to the ocean instead of it being able to soak into the ground.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
That’s a good point; a lot of development (parking lots, buildings etc) basically funnels rainfall that would’ve landed on that area to the ocean instead of it being able to soak into the ground.
and those funnels capture all the industrial pollutants and carry them into creeks, river, lakes and the ocean, including 6 million tons of rubber and plastics from tire wear alone each year.
We've pretty much screwed the pooch...

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
and those funnels capture all the industrial pollutants and carry them into creeks, river, lakes and the ocean, including 6 million tons of rubber and plastics from tire wear alone.
We've pretty much screwed the pooch...
Don't forget we've engineered our creeks and rivers into nice straight deep ditches to efficiently drain the landscape (further reducing aquifer recharge).

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
As i worked on this stuff for years, the title of this post is wrong. Lots of us knew, and lots of us told ya. We told ya water was declining, we told ya that decline would destroy streamflow and increase stream temperatures. We told you pouring chemicals into your drinking water was a bad idea. My bosses told ya, and they’re bosses told ya. But the lure of cheap french fries and tomatoes in January is just too strong. Nobody wants to pay to handle chemicals properly, no irrigator is willing to stop irrigating an acre, everyone is baffled when the streams go dry. As for this article, folks will pay attention until Friday, and then move on.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
mentioned before managed the build out of a 17 acre high tech campus in Mountain View, Ca, former site of a Siemans chip manufacturing operation, designated a Superfund site due to the groundwater being permeated with the solvent TCE (a known carcinogenic), the plume steadily being driven west year after year by SF Bay hydrostatic tidal pressure, TCE evaporating up through the soil of multi-million dollar homes.
Add in the over 100 trace chemicals that were identified during 24/7 site air testing, and there is little wonder that general cancer rates are elected to rise by over 30% by 2030..not to mention the astounding number of kids being diagnosed with autism, ADHD, auto-immune issues and childhood cancers.
During my decade in high tech, as soon as the commute took me back to the coast, I would have the car window open regardless of weather, deep breathing in and out like a demented yogi, trying to clear my lungs...

Last edited:

Mossback

Fear My Powerful Emojis 😆
Forum Supporter
There's no quarterly returns for the shareholders in managing resources for the long term. Certainly no money in it for business to clean up a toxic site they created

...and so it goes...

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846

Interesting read into a topic not on many people's radar. Serious depletion of groundwater has been going on for over 80 years without enough recharging of aquifers, Many problems arise including "cancer" issues! Mismanagement and Climate Change seem to be the leading culprits.
The rise and fall of many lost civilizations… 😉