Deer hair diver SBS- warning- picture heavy

RichS

Life of the Party
This particular fly has caught over 60 largemouth over the course of the last couple of years and is still ticking. I did recently replace one of the eyes and the week guard pulled loose on my last trip and had to be repaired. In general however deer flies are very tough and last a long time when constucted with durability in mind.
They are effective and not that hard to tie.
19.JPG Here are some hints about making tough effective deer hair bass flies. This is a swimming frog which is my favorite, but other than head/body shape a popper would be made in the same way.
1.JPG
This hook is a Ahrex predator stinger. The same hook Billy has said he uses for foam poppers. This hook is very similar to the TMC 8089#2 and B10S are also much the same and good for these flies. This shows the installation of the weed guard. The front of the weed guard serves as a bump which helps to prevents any sliding of other materials. I like to coat the thread back here with some sort of UV finish or glue to prevent damage from bass teeth.
Next comes a smallish bunch of some material to help the tail stay spread. In this case I used grizzly bird fur, but bucktail, craft fur or simialr works fine. Marabou is a poor choice for use in deer hair bugs as it is fragile enough to shorten the useful life of the fly.
Select six hackle feathers three from each side of the neck and put them all in a bunch and trim to length. Should be around 1-1/2 tmes body length. Trim the fiber off of the hackles as shown below instead of stripping the fibers. This prevents them from pulling out over time.2a.JPG
3.JPG
Tie in the tail with three feathers on each side splayed outward. These will kick during retrieve. A little head cement at the tie in point of the tail is useful.2.JPG

Another rooster feather wrapped in as a collar. This helps keep the deer hair body from affecting the positioning of the tail (hind legs).
4.JPG
The next steps apply to all deer hair stacking. Tie in the belly hair on top of the hook with three progressively tighter wraps. The third wrap will pull the hair to the bottom of the shank. Be sure to pull straight down on the tight final wrap.
5.JPG
Tie in the top layer of hair in the exact same location on tip of the shank. Tighten hard by pulling straight down. Advance the thread forward, Take a few wraps on the shank, throw a half hitch and then pack the hair backwards with whatever tool you have for this. The fingers work just fine if that is what you have. I like some softex or flexament in front of each stack for durability.
6.JPG

Continue stacking hair until you fill the shank. Multipe colors can be stacked as shown below. It is important that the amount of the hair on the bottom of the shank is equal to that on the top. So if using three colors I go something like 50%, 25%, 25% of the bottom hair.
9.JPG
10.JPG
11.JPG
Trimming the fly- Start with the bottom. Trim it flat but not to close to the shank. It is important to balance the weight on top and bottom of the fly so that it doesn't land on it's back all of the time.
12.JPG
Trim the rest of the fly to taste. I generally go wrong if not patient enough. You can't put hair back on, but can always cut more off.
13.JPG
At this point the top of the fly is sort of tall and needs to be trimmed shorter for proper fishing. The taper in the back removes hair from the top and helps the fly make a nice bloop sound when retrieved.
14.JPG
Trim the weed guard to size. Flatten the very end of the weed guard. This bump helps it stay in place. Tie in the weed guard at the front of the fly. Superglue is useful here.
16.JPG
Install the front legs using a needle pushed through the body. If the body is tight this shouldn't pull out, but some softex or flexament on the legs near the body and then pulled into the body really locks them in17.JPGCompleted fly, front view.
18.JPG
Side view

Last edited:

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Great job, Rich!

Stoneflywelding

Sometimes I go fishing.
Forum Supporter
This is so sweet. Been a few years since I’ve tied anything. But the thought of tying some bass flies has crossed my mind recently. I will keep this in mind if I get a chance to tie something in the near future. Thanks!!

Wayne Kohan

Life of the Party
“They are effective and not that hard to tie.”

They are effective but quite hard to tie, at least for me. Takes lots of practice to keep the hair where you want it.

Rich, you do an amazing job with these!

Smalma

Life of the Party
Sweet!

You did not mention the type of thread used. When tying larger flies with spun deer hair I always use a Kevlar thread, eliminates thread breakage during the tying process as well as adding durability.

Kado

Steelhead
Soooo helpful! The little things like balancing top and bottom....Thank you for taking the time to do an SBS. I have a heck of time tying off the last group of spun hair at the eye.

RichS

Life of the Party
I like GSP 200 denier for bass flies and generally use Vevus 6/0 thread for deer hair trout flies. Kevlar, Uni big fly and Danville 3/0 all work too.
Hooks. I like TMC 8089 for bass, but the Ahrex predator stinger are good too and so are the Hama B10S. I like the 8089s in #6 and 2 for bass. The predator stinger in 2/0 is about the same as a #2 8089, a B10S in a # 1 or 1/0 makes a good bass hook too.

Flytyer

Smolt
This particular fly has caught over 60 largemouth over the course of the last couple of years and is still ticking. I did recently replace one of the eyes and the week guard pulled loose on my last trip and had to be repaired. In general however deer flies are very tough and last a long time when constucted with durability in mind.
They are effective and not that hard to tie.
View attachment 68946 Here are some hints about making tough effective deer hair bass flies. This is a swimming frog which is my favorite, but other than head/body shape a popper would be made in the same way.
View attachment 68947
This hook is a Ahrex predator stinger. The same hook Billy has said he uses for foam poppers. This hook is very similar to the TMC 8089#2 and B10S are also much the same and good for these flies. This shows the installation of the weed guard. The front of the weed guard serves as a bump which helps to prevents any sliding of other materials. I like to coat the thread back here with some sort of UV finish or glue to prevent damage from bass teeth.
Next comes a smallish bunch of some material to help the tail stay spread. In this case I used grizzly bird fur, but bucktail, craft fur or simialr works fine. Marabou is a poor choice for use in deer hair bugs as it is fragile enough to shorten the useful life of the fly.
Select six hackle feathers three from each side of the neck and put them all in a bunch and trim to length. Should be around 1-1/2 tmes body length. Trim the fiber off of the hackles as shown below instead of stripping the fibers. This prevents them from pulling out over time.View attachment 68949
View attachment 68955
Tie in the tail with three feathers on each side splayed outward. These will kick during retrieve. A little head cement at the tie in point of the tail is useful.View attachment 68952

Another rooster feather wrapped in as a collar. This helps keep the deer hair body from affecting the positioning of the tail (hind legs).
View attachment 68956
The next steps apply to all deer hair stacking. Tie in the belly hair on top of the hook with three progressively tighter wraps. The third wrap will pull the hair to the bottom of the shank. Be sure to pull straight down on the tight final wrap.
View attachment 68957
Tie in the top layer of hair in the exact same location on tip of the shank. Tighten hard by pulling straight down. Advance the thread forward, Take a few wraps on the shank, throw a half hitch and then pack the hair backwards with whatever tool you have for this. The fingers work just fine if that is what you have. I like some softex or flexament in front of each stack for durability.
View attachment 68958

Continue stacking hair until you fill the shank. Multipe colors can be stacked as shown below. It is important that the amount of the hair on the bottom of the shank is equal to that on the top. So if using three colors I go something like 50%, 25%, 25% of the bottom hair.
View attachment 68960
View attachment 68961
View attachment 68962
Trimming the fly- Start with the bottom. Trim it flat but not to close to the shank. It is important to balance the weight on top and bottom of the fly so that it doesn't land on it's back all of the time.
View attachment 68963
Trim the rest of the fly to taste. I generally go wrong if not patient enough. You can't put hair back on, but can always cut more off.
View attachment 68964
At this point the top of the fly is sort of tall and needs to be trimmed shorter for proper fishing. The taper in the back removes hair from the top and helps the fly make a nice bloop sound when retrieved.
View attachment 68965
Trim the weed guard to size. Flatten the very end of the weed guard. This bump helps it stay in place. Tie in the weed guard at the front of the fly. Superglue is useful here.
View attachment 68966
Install the front legs using a needle pushed through the body. If the body is tight this shouldn't pull out, but some softex or flexament on the legs near the body and then pulled into the body really locks them inView attachment 68967Completed fly, front view.
View attachment 68968
Side view
Sweet !!