Damaged my spring creek pram/repair help needed

dbk

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Was just up at Georgetown lake and sadly damaged my Spring Creek pram... I think it's salvageable and can be repaired but that's beyond my level of skill and expertise to do such work myself... attached a few photos of the damage. If anyone here can do such repair work or can put me in touch with someone who does I'd greatly appreciate it..20230705_121003.jpg20230705_120942.jpg20230705_120729.jpg20230705_120721.jpg

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Only part I'd be helpful with is the fiberglass, and that'd be pretty dang simple. Could be as easy as patching the area up with MarineTex. Or you could grind it out a bit to clean up the splintering, then do a fiberglass cloth layup with polyester resin. I'd do a couple layers on both sides with chopped strand cloth, then sand down a few days later. The finish beyond that would be up to you since you'll have a funny looking brown square on your nice green boat.

Divad

Whitefish
Is the wood bent or joined straights? I think it looks like straight pieces which would be a lot easier to replace. I see two joined halves at the edge, doesn’t look too bad to copy.

I’d go with the latter method @Evan B mentioned for the fiberglass, it has some fairly good stress below that that split I’d want to tighten up. Prep and clean it well, be sure to saturate all your layers of cloth.

Was it a tailgate bumpy road affair?

dbk

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Is it broken on both sides?
Both sides were damaged but one side its limited to the top whereas the other side it extends down closer to the floor... was backing out if a camo site and didn't see a tree..

dbk

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Only part I'd be helpful with is the fiberglass, and that'd be pretty dang simple. Could be as easy as patching the area up with MarineTex. Or you could grind it out a bit to clean up the splintering, then do a fiberglass cloth layup with polyester resin. I'd do a couple layers on both sides with chopped strand cloth, then sand down a few days later. The finish beyond that would be up to you since you'll have a funny looking brown square on your nice green boat.
Thanks Evan.. spoke to my brother who is good at doing this type of work and in addition to the fiberglass work the wood on top would need replacing and some type of support added to the sides where it "folded" upon impact to keep it from reverting back to that position...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Thanks Evan.. spoke to my brother who is good at doing this type of work and in addition to the fiberglass work the wood on top would need replacing and some type of support added to the sides where it "folded" upon impact to keep it from reverting back to that position...
Not sure where you're at, but I have enough fiberglass cloth to probably rebuild the entire boat. In case you need any.

dbk

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Is the wood bent or joined straights? I think it looks like straight pieces which would be a lot easier to replace. I see two joined halves at the edge, doesn’t look too bad to copy.

I’d go with the latter method @Evan B mentioned for the fiberglass, it has some fairly good stress below that that split I’d want to tighten up. Prep and clean it well, be sure to saturate all your layers of cloth.

Was it a tailgate bumpy road affair?
Straight as far as I can tell.... your take on it sounds thr same as my brother's.. don't do such work myself so am looking for someone who can do such repairs... damage was done when backing out of a campsite and hit a tree...

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I'm in the Spokane area... where are you?
Gresham Oregon. Wouldn't be hard to ship if you find someone to help you or you decide to try it. tons of info online on how to do it, and is a whole lot simpler than most expect it would be.

iveofione

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Both repairs look pretty easy with the woodwork being the more challenging of the two. Wish you were closer to Ives Cut and Try Tool and Die, it would be a fun project. There should be some guys in your area that would do this for recreation plus the cost of materials.

dbk

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Both repairs look pretty easy with the woodwork being the more challenging of the two. Wish you were closer to Ives Cut and Try Tool and Die, it would be a fun project. There should be some guys in your area that would do this for recreation plus the cost of materials.
Thanks Ive.. looking for someone to take this on..

dbk

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Gresham Oregon. Wouldn't be hard to ship if you find someone to help you or you decide to try it. tons of info online on how to do it, and is a whole lot simpler than most expect it would be.
Thanks Evan.. appreciate the offer. Will keep that in mind a d will reach out to you if needed..

Otter

Steelhead
You're getting great advice. If you need more, consider having this topic moved to the Watercraft forum.

Make sure both gunnels are totally replaced, stern to bow. I've had a couple of boats damaged like this, and just replacing a short section of gunnel isn't strong enough to really keep the sides strong. Gunnels are subject to a lot of forces.

dbk

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You're getting great advice. If you need more, consider having this topic moved to the Watercraft forum.

Make sure both gunnels are totally replaced, stern to bow. I've had a couple of boats damaged like this, and just replacing a short section of gunnel isn't strong enough to really keep the sides strong. Gunnels are subject to a lot of forces.
That's a great idea.. will move it to that forum. The responses here have been great.. definitely know what needs to be done to repair the pram.

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
That's a great idea.. will move it to that forum. The responses here have been great.. definitely know what needs to be done to repair the pram.
I'm going to move this thread to the other subforum so we don't have duplicates