Current Alternative to a Sage DS2 5X 9ft? - Long shot I know

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
As someone who has spent literally THOUSANDS of hours casting DS and DSIIs (7 and 8wt), I have this observation to make about them -

You can make quite a few modern rods feel like a DS series rod by drastically overlining them. The 8wt DS is the equivalent of a "modern" (last decade) 6wt, and throws everything from a 4wt to a 9wt line.

If you would like a rod that is flexible, forgiving, with a wide bandwidth of "UX positivity", you might want to visit the nearest flyshop that sells ECHO products and test-cast the Lift model. Great rod to learn and grow with.

Thank you. I'm going to check out the Lift for sure and pretty sure they carry them at a local shop. Sounds like it might be a bit similar to the DS2 and around $100, definitely budget friendly.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a 5wt Carbon XL and that rod is my definition of the daily driver. In fact this rod doesnt leave the truck. I use it as a single hand Skagit rod, a dry rod, a steamer rod, throw bobbers with it... its only come up short trying to throw things that just arent meant for a 5, or probably a fly rod in general. For my money it's the best value rod I've bought.

Thank you as well. It's on my list to try along with the Lift. Sounds like a good daily driver like you mentioned. Jack of all trades withing reason.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hey Bruce, YOU'RE NOT HELPING!!!!!!!! :ROFLMAO: ;)

Seriously thougn, I have looked at that Trout LL many times and have been lusting after it to say the least. But, I need to be good/prudent/wise (?) and get started with some more reasonably priced rods until I figure out what kind of action I like or will grow into. Maybe down the road, I'll settle in with a medium action rods and I'd be willing to spend that kind of money on one. Just don't want to fork over that kind of cash and find out I like a faster action down the road.

Right now, and thanks to everyone, I think I'm going to stick with our Echo Boost Blue rods for faster action and I did pick up a Sage DS2 to try out. Probably pick up a Echo Lift or Carbon XL for the wife. But, we'll see. Just need to figure out a couple reels and lines now, Think maybe a couple Battenkill II reels. Decent price and they will last me forever.

Jim

Bruce Baker

Steelhead

Seriously thougn, I have looked at that Trout LL many times and have been lusting after it to say the least. But, I need to be good/prudent/wise (?) and get started with some more reasonably priced rods until I figure out what kind of action I like or will grow into. Maybe down the road, I'll settle in with a medium action rods and I'd be willing to spend that kind of money on one. Just don't want to fork over that kind of cash and find out I like a faster action down the road.

Right now, and thanks to everyone, I think I'm going to stick with our Echo Boost Blue rods for faster action and I did pick up a Sage DS2 to try out. Probably pick up a Echo Lift or Carbon XL for the wife. But, we'll see. Just need to figure out a couple reels and lines now, Think maybe a couple Battenkill II reels. Decent price and they will last me forever.

Jim
You're welcome Jim. I agree 100% with what you said. I did think twice about posting that because of its price. But the main reason I posted was to show that Sage did make a medium action rod. Perhaps if this rod does interest you and you are able to test cast one and you find you like it, you could get one used down the road. Northing wrong with the other rods you have mentioned and I wish you well in your choice.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter

Jim
Take your time. I fished that 9' 6wt sage for years before I got a 7' 4wt, to which I quickly added a 8'6". Only in the last few years have I added rods based on what I like to throw and fishing the same waters enough to have a feel for what I might want that is different. I feel that only now am I a good enough caster to adapt my cast to different rods actions without feeling incompetent. I'm not a great caster, constant work in progress.
Based on the line and backing you might find a II a bit small, I prefer the III for weight, backing and holding a DT line.

Last edited:

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Take your time. I fished that 9' 6wt sage for years before I got a 7' 4wt, to which I quickly added a 8'6". Only in the last few years have I added rods based on what I like to throw and fishing the same waters enough to have a feel for what I might want that is different. I feel that only now am I a good enough caster to adapt my cast to different rods actions without feeling incompetent. I'm not a great caster, constant work in progress.
Based on the line and backing you might find a II a bit small, I prefer the III for weight, backing and holding a DT line.

I agree, definitely taking my time. Normally. I'd just stick with what I have and master it but using the DS2 was such a night and day change for me. I'll now have a slower moderate action rod and a fast rod. My goal it to work with both and see what I eventually gravitate towards. Or maybe I "master" both. LOL. I figure with the Boost Blue and DS2 being so different, it will be a fun journey figuring them out and I'm not in a rush.

My wife is also on this same Fly journey with so I basically need tow of everything. That's why I might still pick up a Redington Classic Trout or an Echo Lift at some point. So we can both fish both kinds of rods at the same time.