Current Alternative to a Sage DS2 5X 9ft? - Long shot I know

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
So as I have mentioned in a couple post, I'm very new to Fly Fishing. Right now, I have a 6x Echo Boost Blue rod that I like but it's a very fast rod. I bought this rod based on some local advise because I want to eventually fish for some SRC and throw some streamers for trout as well. I think I'll be very happy with it for that purpose.

I was on a float yesterday and I was able to try out a few 5X rods and one that I really liked and just clicked with was an older Sage DS2 9ft 5X. I mean my casting with from meh, to holy crap I just became a waaaaaay better caster. It was night and day. I know you should always learn and master what you have in had but I do need to pick up a 5X rods at some point and I really loved and clicked with the moderate (?) action of the DS2. I was able to throw dry flies with relative ease even in some good wind. At that's saying a lot for me!

So, can anyone recommend a 5X that would be similar in action to the DS2? I know this is kind of a needle in a haystack situation but I know there are some really experienced folks here and maybe you have thrown a DS2 in the past and know of something comparable?

I really don't want to spend a boatload on a new rod but I know there are some good value rods out there that would suit me just fine. I just would like to find something comparable to the DS2 if that's even possible. I have founds a couple DS2 rods but I guess they are all 2 piece and if possible, maybe I could find a 4pc alternative?

As always, thanks in advance for any advise and thanks again to everyone that has helped me so far in my Fly Journey. It's much appreciated.

Jim

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Just buy a used DS2 if you liked it.
They aren’t that expensive and I bet someone has one lying around they are likely to sell.
SF

Last edited:

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Redington CT aka classic trout is an affordable moderate action graphite rod. I don't know how it directly compares to the DS2 but I think it's hard to beat the bang-for-the buck of a CT for trout.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Just buy a used DS2 if you liked it.
They aren’t that expensive and I bet someone has one lying around they are likely to sell.
SF
Yeah, I might end up doing that. I was just hoping someone might know of something similar in a 4pc. 2pc will work fine though. Just not as easy to pack when I hike.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I might end up doing that. I was just hoping someone might know of something similar in a 4pc. 2pc will work fine though. Just not as easy to pack when I hike.

If you like Sage, other models you might want to look at would be the RPL, VPS or Accel. I think all of those would be considered medium fast by today’s standards.
SF

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Redington CT aka classic trout is an affordable moderate action graphite rod. I don't know how it directly compares to the DS2 but I think it's hard to beat the bang-for-the buck of a CT for trout.

Thanks Matt. I think my local shop has some of these. I'll try and check them out. I actually need to buy two of these for myself and wife so at least the Reddington is widely available.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Awesome, thank you!

By the way, those are all discontinued models.
I have no clue if Sage offers a current medium fast model.
SF

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
X2 for the Redington Classic Trout. But if you like Echo rods (they are great), they do also offer a lot of models that aren't as fast action as your Boost Blue. This graphic shows how their current line up compares:

1647285882504.png

The Lift rods are very nice casting and on the lower end price wise. I keep one in my trunk for fishing emergencies. Or maybe try a Carbon XL.

-andy

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
X2 for the Redington Classic Trout. But if you like Echo rods (they are great), they do also offer a lot of models that aren't as fast action as your Boost Blue. This graphic shows how their current line up compares:

View attachment 8700

The Lift rods are very nice casting and on the lower end price wise. I keep one in my trunk for fishing emergencies. Or maybe try a Carbon XL.

-andy

Thanks Merle. I need to check out Echo. I really like my 6wt Boost Blue and as you can see. it's one of their fastest rods. I'll see if my local shop has a Lift or Carbon XL. Pretty sure I have at least held the Carbon XL but can't remember any of my thoughts on it.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a 4 and 5 wt and love the DS2 for dry flies. Great versatile rod that I really enjoy casting.
Well that’s good to hear from someone else when it comes to casting dry flies. Confirms my experience, not that I have much of it. Thank you!

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sent you a PM on DS and DS2 6wts if interested

Thanks Mark. Responded.

As mentioned in our PM, just found a DS2 5wt brand new in case/tube for I think a reasonable price. Still need to find one more at some point but still might consider some other similar options.

I asked in our PM but I assume the DS is just the predecessor to the DS2? Wondering how similar they are? If similar, I could also try and find a DS.

Jim

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
Lot's of good advise mentioned. One thing you might want to do when looking for a new rod for your self is go to your local fly shop and cast a few different rods and get a feel for them. The danger is you might fall in love with a 1,000 dollar rod. But, as you found out, some rods are better suited for your style of casting/fishing. So it's nice to be able to try different ones out to see what you like.

Stonedfish

Forum Supporter
Sam brings up a good point regarding maybe looking for a new rod.
The DS 2 is considered a classic based on their age. If you aren’t aware, Sage charges $175.00 to repair that model. So if you end up finding one and paying say $200.00, you’ll could be $375 into it if you break it.
You could buy a couple brand new Redington Classic trout models that folks mentioned for about the same dollars.
Just something you might want to consider if you weren’t aware of the repair costs on older model Sage rods.
SF

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Lot's of good advise mentioned. One thing you might want to do when looking for a new rod for your self is go to your local fly shop and cast a few different rods and get a feel for them. The danger is you might fall in love with a 1,000 dollar rod. But, as you found out, some rods are better suited for your style of casting/fishing. So it's nice to be able to try different ones out to see what you like.
Thanks man. I’m going to give the DS2 a go and see how it works for me. Worst case, I can try something else. Right now, trying to stay away from falling in love with a $1K rod. Maybe down the road one day but definitely only when I’m able to appreciate what makes those rods great.

Aleforme

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Sam brings up a good point regarding maybe looking for a new rod.
The DS 2 is considered a classic based on their age. If you aren’t aware, Sage charges $175.00 to repair that model. So if you end up finding one and paying say $200.00, you’ll could be $375 into it if you break it.
You could buy a couple brand new Redington Classic trout models that folks mentioned for about the same dollars.
Just something you might want to consider if you weren’t aware of the repair costs on older model Sage rods.
SF
That’s a good point and was unaware of the repair cost. But, if it ends up being a great rod for me, I won’t mind spending the money if needed.
I do still plan on checking out the Redington Classic Trout though if my wife likes the DS2 as well.

G_Smolt

Legend
As someone who has spent literally THOUSANDS of hours casting DS and DSIIs (7 and 8wt), I have this observation to make about them -

You can make quite a few modern rods feel like a DS series rod by drastically overlining them. The 8wt DS is the equivalent of a "modern" (last decade) 6wt, and throws everything from a 4wt to a 9wt line.

If you would like a rod that is flexible, forgiving, with a wide bandwidth of "UX positivity", you might want to visit the nearest flyshop that sells ECHO products and test-cast the Lift model. Great rod to learn and grow with.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
Thanks Merle. I need to check out Echo. I really like my 6wt Boost Blue and as you can see. it's one of their fastest rods. I'll see if my local shop has a Lift or Carbon XL. Pretty sure I have at least held the Carbon XL but can't remember any of my thoughts on it.
I have a 5wt Carbon XL and that rod is my definition of the daily driver. In fact this rod doesnt leave the truck. I use it as a single hand Skagit rod, a dry rod, a steamer rod, throw bobbers with it... its only come up short trying to throw things that just arent meant for a 5, or probably a fly rod in general. For my money it's the best value rod I've bought.