College Football 2023

FinLuver

Native Oregonian…1846
Football’s a great sport…
A stadium, a green natural pitch, a colorful kit, snazzy boots, a little round ball, and singing fans!!!
What’s not to love? 😉

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Looks like Arizona has a new coach via San Jose State, Brent Brennan.
SF

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
C’mon it’s basically professional ball now. Limits don’t apply. But one should hope he has at least 3 different degrees and a masters by now. 😉
Depending on the number of public institutions you attend it probably took that young man 6 years to get a single degree with all of the f*%#ery that goes on at these schools. A "full ride" scholarship is an incredibly misleading term. I'm learning all of this the hard way as my boys are both attending school on football scholarships. In my experience, the private schools are pretty straight up but the public schools are anything but.

I could, and probably should, write a book of all the half-truths and scams with college athletics and "scholarships". Not all is as it seems. Some of the issues are fairly minor but some of them are damn near fraudulent and there is absolutely no recourse for the student. My boys will be fine because I can help them, but many kids are not.

Cabezon

Sculpin Enterprises
Forum Supporter
Yeah, right.......more like 3 SUV's and a Porsche
From the Athletic: "
Cam McCormick announced he is coming back for what will be his ninth season of college football — a feat never achieved until now. The 6-5, 260-pound tight end — who turned 25 last spring — shared the news on social media Thursday afternoon.
McCormick was granted two extra years of eligibility from the NCAA in December 2022. He had only played two full seasons until that point and had five seasons wiped out by season-ending injuries.
McCormick started college in 2016 at the University of Oregon under coach Mario Cristobal. He was coming off a torn ACL in his left knee during his senior year of high school and was one of three Ducks hospitalized with rhabdomyolysis following strenuous workouts in January 2017. He played in 13 games as a redshirt freshman in 2017, starting twice. McCormick then broke his left ankle in the 2018 season opener and missed the 2019 and 2020 seasons due to complications following surgery. He then tore the Achilles on his opposite leg two games into the 2021 season before returning and starting six games for the Ducks in 2022. McCormick then transferred to Miami last season where he started 11 games for the Hurricanes and caught eight passes for 62 yards. He has 26 career receptions for 231 yards and four touchdowns.
McCormick said he earned an undergraduate degree in advertising and his master’s in advertising/brand responsibility at Oregon. He took more undergrad courses at Miami last year."
Yes, I suspect that he will be earning a nice check from his NIL contracts. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to have had to undergo his injury history to get to that point.
Steve

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
Depending on the number of public institutions you attend it probably took that young man 6 years to get a single degree with all of the f*%#ery that goes on at these schools. A "full ride" scholarship is an incredibly misleading term. I'm learning all of this the hard way as my boys are both attending school on football scholarships. In my experience, the private schools are pretty straight up but the public schools are anything but.

I could, and probably should, write a book of all the half-truths and scams with college athletics and "scholarships". Not all is as it seems. Some of the issues are fairly minor but some of them are damn near fraudulent and there is absolutely no recourse for the student. My boys will be fine because I can help them, but many kids are not.
It's great for folks to get a scholarship to public or private schools of any kind, and I'm happy for those that do. They're the fortunate ones.

But it's worth noting that a lot of folks (myself included) self funded by working jobs.
Many (ourselves included) saved and sacrificed to send our own kids.

Reactions: RCF

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I think many self fund - my family included.
A college athlete has a lot on their plate. Those who value the opportunity and realize that the pro level is out of reach are lucky if they have the skill set to get it done in the classroom .
Some just want to play ball with no regard for the classroom. I’ve known lots of young athletes who got the ride but were in no way ready for college
None of them got the degree. Most were one and done

RCF

Life of the Party
It's great for folks to get a scholarship to public or private schools of any kind, and I'm happy for those that do. They're the fortunate ones.

But it's worth noting that a lot of folks (myself included) self funded by working jobs.
Many (ourselves included) saved and sacrificed to send our own kids.

Well said ---> depicts what my family experienced.

I am pleased that we could help our kids graduate without any student loan debt. It did take a lot of sacrifice over many years for that to happen. Not sure if the kids ever will really understand that.

What I am happiest about is our kids now understand how much no college debt means. They are very appreciative for sure especially when they see what their college friends are now going through. Although sometimes I wonder if they would be more appreciative if they 'paid as they went to school' since they did it on their own like I did...

Divad

Whitefish
Holy moly this UW team is getting gutted. Granted transfer portals aren’t a guarantee they leave, the new staff needs to move the puck on recruitment and get some good publicity out asap.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Holy moly this UW team is getting gutted. Granted transfer portals aren’t a guarantee they leave, the new staff needs to move the puck on recruitment and get some good publicity out asap.
I’m sure we have a couple wildcats coming. They have 30 days to weigh the waters, meaning husky and wildcat players. Then there be the spring portal opening. Deboer leaving gutted UW big time. Might need a year or more rebound. Uw in tough spot. I have no doubt Fisch leave for right opportunity and that most likely be NFL. You’ll never find another like Don James. Ever. Smart men like James and currently Few at Gonzaga know a good thing when they have it. So many top tier schools have gone after Few but he stays. He’s the damn king of Spokane. He can fly fish too.

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
From the Athletic: "
Cam McCormick announced he is coming back for what will be his ninth season of college football — a feat never achieved until now. The 6-5, 260-pound tight end — who turned 25 last spring — shared the news on social media Thursday afternoon.
McCormick was granted two extra years of eligibility from the NCAA in December 2022. He had only played two full seasons until that point and had five seasons wiped out by season-ending injuries.
McCormick started college in 2016 at the University of Oregon under coach Mario Cristobal. He was coming off a torn ACL in his left knee during his senior year of high school and was one of three Ducks hospitalized with rhabdomyolysis following strenuous workouts in January 2017. He played in 13 games as a redshirt freshman in 2017, starting twice. McCormick then broke his left ankle in the 2018 season opener and missed the 2019 and 2020 seasons due to complications following surgery. He then tore the Achilles on his opposite leg two games into the 2021 season before returning and starting six games for the Ducks in 2022. McCormick then transferred to Miami last season where he started 11 games for the Hurricanes and caught eight passes for 62 yards. He has 26 career receptions for 231 yards and four touchdowns.
McCormick said he earned an undergraduate degree in advertising and his master’s in advertising/brand responsibility at Oregon. He took more undergrad courses at Miami last year."
Yes, I suspect that he will be earning a nice check from his NIL contracts. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to have had to undergo his injury history to get to that point.
Steve
That's nothing... in the Panhandle of North Idaho they've got 6th grade elementary school students sporting five o'clock shadows.